Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Settings on ResMed10 Autoset
Mask Settings on ResMed10 Autoset
Does anyone know exactly what changes when you switch between Nasal, Pillow and Full Face modes on the ResMed10 Autoset?
Any help understanding the different modes is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Pillow Setting with a Nasal Mask
I was instructed to use the "Pillow" setting with my N30i mask even though it is a nasal mask! Can anyone share any insight on this please?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Settings on ResMed10 Autoset
(07-04-2022, 08:50 AM)Joe Bezz Wrote: Does anyone know exactly what changes when you switch between Nasal, Pillow and Full Face modes on the ResMed10 Autoset?

The pressure changes slightly, less than 1 cm, I think. Because the difference mask types offer different amounts of resistance to the flow of air, they alter the pressure slightly. Changing the mask type setting compensates for this alteration.

But if you have a machine like yours that auto-adjusts the pressure, it makes no difference, because the machine will make the necessary changes in pressure automatically.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Joe - You are asking the same question, so I merged both your threads together.

Each mask type has a different volumetric area. Given the same pressure settings, gas compresses at the same rate. This compression difference will have a more pronounced effect within a smaller vessel. As an analogy, envision blowing into a ziplock bag. Now, using the same size breath, blow into a garbage bag. Both have the same amount of air being blown in, but the ziplock will exhibit the biggest difference. Back to the CPAP; If you are using a pressure difference or resistance to determine either the data recorded, or for device operation, the device's sensitivity would need to be adjusted for the mask's volumetric size.

Prior to new mask designs appearing on the scene, there were 3 distinct mask designs. A full face mask that enclosed the complete nose and mouth area, the nasal mask that completely enclosed just the nose, and the nasal pillow that sealed at the end of the nose. Looking at these 3 designs, it is very easy to recognize the different volumetric areas, thus the different settings. Everything was pretty much cut-and-dry until the entry of the newer hybrid masks. This has kind of thrown the proverbial monkey wrench into mask selection settings. Sidenote; A Resmed uses the mask type for the setting, a Philips uses a number.

Based off all the newer designs, it is more important today to read the literature that accompanies the mask for the proper machine setting.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your response! I apologize for asking the same question more than once! It's a little confusing since the literature accompanying the N30i mask stated to use the "Pillow" setting even though it is clearly a nasal mask! I was just trying to understand the differences between all three settings! With that said I will take your advice and use the setting that the manufacture suggests in the literature!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pillow Setting with a Nasal Mask
I have read posts from posters (who I know to be knowledgeable and capable), who have measured the pressure and observed pressure changes dependant on mask setting.

I also *believe* the mask setting is important for other therapy responses and measurements. For the exact same reasons why we must also enter tube size (standard/slimline/3m(AirCurve)). Detecting and measuring things like Apneas type (FOT), Breath triggering, and leak measuring are influenced by resistance and air volume in the system.

Having said that, the Mask type setting is no longer tied to the actual mask type (FF, Nasal, Pillow) instead the setting is tied to the Pressure-Flow Curve properties of the mask.

Looking at virtually all modern ResMed Nasal Masks they share the same Pressure-Flow Curve values as the Pillow Masks. Note those that Nasal Masks that have the same Pressure-Flow values as Pillow Masks, also suggest being set to type Pillow. A perfect example of this is the N20 mask, which clearly is Nasal in size, shape and dead space volume, but should be set to Pillow Setting.

This suggests strongly that the Mask Type setting and its correlation to the Pressure-Flow curve is instrumental in leak calculation as ResMed's report actual leak and not Leak+Venting. In order to determine this value accurately one must know the actual air flow at any given pressure.

(07-04-2022, 09:36 AM)Joe Bezz Wrote: I was instructed to use the "Pillow" setting with my N30i mask even though it is a nasal mask! Can anyone share any insight on this please?

The N30i has the same Pressure-Flow curve as ResMed Pillow masks. Explained above.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 110 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  New CPAP user - Fine Tuning Settings/Mask Help slowmo2000 0 260 01-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: slowmo2000
  VAUTO Settings vs. CPAP Settings MrIvanDrago 9 828 11-18-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Mask type in settings isn’t the mask I’m wearing 3k9BAO 1 415 11-15-2023, 11:31 PM
Last Post: eok361
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 8 16,072 11-13-2023, 10:14 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Help with optimizing full face mask settings. new2paphopeful 2 601 08-08-2023, 02:24 AM
Last Post: jjl468
  Change settings or try new mask? jsl316 0 399 05-14-2023, 07:44 AM
Last Post: jsl316

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.