Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Sizing Question [Airfit F20]
Mask Sizing Question [Airfit F20]
I’m looking at buying a Airfit F20 mask and according to the sizing chart I’m right at the top end of the medium (like right up there!!)

Should I go a medium or just order the size up and go with a large?  I haven’t used a full face mask before that covers the nose so not sure what’s best for fit! 

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Sizing Question [Airfit F20]
I'm surprised no one has responded. Given that everyone's face is different, you won't be able to predict which one will fit. You should try both. Its worth finding the best size.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-19-2019, 11:45 PM)StevoDevo Wrote: I’m looking at buying a Airfit F20 mask and according to the sizing chart I’m right at the top end of the medium (like right up there!!)

Should I go a medium or just order the size up and go with a large?  I haven’t used a full face mask before that covers the nose so not sure what’s best for fit! 

Thanks!

StevoDevo,
I’ve never used a full face mask, but it seems logical to me to go up a size.

If you check the Supplier list at top of page, many vendors will let you trial a couple masks at a time, and return them within 30 days if they don’t work out. You could order both sizes, or even two different masks to trial. Of course you pay up front, but would be refunded once returned.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with miltf. I fall in the upper end of the medium size of the f20 as well and was given a medium size by my DME.  I couldn’t control leaks with a medium size. It sat too low on my nose, which caused it to pinch my nose, and also sat too high on my lower lip, which caused leaks. The large cushion works much better for me.

There is really no way to say which would work better for you, however. After all, they are both on the borderline of the two sizes so it is a toss up. The only way to know for sure is to try both sizes for few nights to see which works best. 

Let us know how it works out, if you would.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using an AirFit F20 from the get go. I use a size large. I tried an AirFit F30, but developed some air leakage issues and I then went back to the F20.
Post Reply Post Reply
Assuming you are using a DME, they likely will try to fit you properly in their office. If you are buying out of pocket, the suggestion to use a vendor that has a return/exchange policy is your best bet.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the medium and large cushions for the F20. Comparing these, large will be wider at the mouth and get closer to your chin than a medium. Also large will be slightly wider at the top over the nose and extend up further.

Besides that, I'd give the plan others said. Check with your DME to try on some various sizes. Best scenario is lying down under pressure. Otherwise, go by best fit and try to get them to agree to a return agreement.

Images of my M and L

[attachment=16367]
Medium on left, Large on right

[attachment=16368]
Medium (at top)

[attachment=16369]
Large (at bottom)
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can get a spare cushion for about $22 from Amazon, so I’d suggest trying both. I am also between medium and large. The seal of the medium presses on the sides of my nose though. It’s not enough to be uncomfortable, but it makes nose breathing more difficult.
Post Reply Post Reply
Funny thing! When I had my in-lab sleep study done, the 2nd night, the sleep tech asked me what kind of mask I preferred. I had no idea. After a very brief discussion in regards to styles or types, she left and brought back an AiFit F20 FFM. 

She told me to hold it to my face and see what I thought of it. There was no actual fitting by the tech at all. I said it felt okay, and that was that. 

About a week or so later, I went to my local DME supplier to pick up my CPAP machine and all that went with it. The RT said that I had been prescribed the AirFit F20 mask. 

He handed it to me, told me how to adjust the headgear straps and that was it. No measurements, no actual physical hands-on fitting at all. 

I suppose looking back, it all worked out okay. Since I can't breathe thru my nose all that well, my mask options are limited.

Although I wear a size large, my most recent re-supply of supplies from my DME supplier, included two size medium cushions for my F20 mask. I notified them of the mistake, and they were good about sending me two size large cushions. They should be here Wednesday.

They said that they would send me a pre-paid mailing envelope so that I could return the two medium cushions. I'm curious if the mediums would fit me, but I already told them both had not been opened.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was a large in a lot of masks and manage fairly well with a medium F20 cushion. It's a case of YMMV, I'm afraid. If your DME isn't great, definitely go for a shop/online that allows exchanges. There are some DMEs who will allow you to try before you buy (for a nominal fee), some even apply the trial fee to the cost of a new mask, but those are generally few and far between.

As for the "here's the mask" type of fitting....I'm not surprised in the slightest. My first DME was pretty much this way....here's what we've got, here's you size, go forth and sleep. And they wonder why so many people end up non-compliant or giving up on therapy.

Unfortunately, it often extends to getting optimized treatment too. I met up with a couple folks from my original DME chain not too long ago and found out that nothing had changed: I indicated I was a UARS patient on CPAP and they asked about AHI. When I told them I was only a 6 on my sleep study they thought it would be easy to get below 5. Then I reminded them that with UARS, my actual sleep disruptions are about 10x my AHI, so my RDI=60 at AHI=6. When I told them I was keeping my AHI below 0.3 their jaws hit the floor (and I reminded them again, it's x10 for me with the RDI). I think I had to explain the difference between UARS and "normal" OSA 3x before they clued into why I had worked so hard to get my AHI so low. It pays to educate yourself Smile
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 50 3,188 3 hours ago
Last Post: car54
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,576 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,978 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 146 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 299 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  Dreamwear frame sizing ahuman 3 295 02-23-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.