Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Slippage with Fine Hair
Mask Slippage with Fine Hair
My current mask is the Dreamwear nasal cushion. I am a restless sleeper and I have very fine, silky hair; resulting in my mask headset slipping up in the back. This leads to large air leaks and loss of sleep as I am constantly readjusting. I have tried ponytails as a roadblock to the slippage but find that uncomfortable when I roll over on my back. My DME provider set me up yesterday with the DreamWisp nasal mask. I struggled all night last night with the magnetic clips digging into my earlobes and the mask putting pressure on the bridge of my nose. Although my air leaks were greatly reduced with this mask, this morning I have a huge blister on the bridge of my nose. Can anyone recommend a mask that fits securely over the back of the head but with minimal facial obstruction? Or a way to secure flimsy headsets from sliding up? I love the Dreamwear nasal system if I can just figure out a way to prevent slippage.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Slippage with Fine Hair
Not sure if this is doable or acceptable to you, but what about a doo rag or similar between your hair and the mask headgear? There was also some nasal mask I recently saw that had no headgear. It used a mouthpiece and held the mask in place that way.

PS that name is TAP PAP, it's a nasal pillow style the way it looks.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2019, 10:47 AM)Donna Wrote: My current mask is the Dreamwear nasal cushion. I am a restless sleeper and I have very fine, silky hair; resulting in my mask headset slipping up in the back. This leads to large air leaks and loss of sleep as I am constantly readjusting. I have tried ponytails as a roadblock to the slippage but find that uncomfortable when I roll over on my back. My DME provider set me up yesterday with the DreamWisp nasal mask. I struggled all night last night with the magnetic clips digging into my earlobes and the mask putting pressure on the bridge of my nose. Although my air leaks were greatly reduced with this mask, this morning I have a huge blister on the bridge of my nose. Can anyone recommend a mask that fits securely over the back of the head but with minimal facial obstruction? Or a way to secure flimsy headsets from sliding up? I love the Dreamwear nasal system if I can just figure out a way to prevent slippage.

Hi, I had similar problems my first 14 months using a CPAP (Jan 2018-Mar 2019). I tried upwards of 12-15 masks, many of them on my own dime, several more than once. I did try the Dreamwear in a couple of iterations, although not the Wisp. I had finally found what works for me before that came out. I did try the regular Wisp, which was one I absolutely hated (sorry).

What finally worked/works for me is the Bleep mask. No headgear, so nothing slipping up the back of my head requiring frequent adjustment all throughout the night, along with the large leaks that go along with the sipping. Virtually NO leaking, YAY! NO strap marks across my face or need for adjustment of those either. No facial obstruction.

I actually commented to my husband, who is also a CPAP user but who has used the same mask forever Oh-jeez, that I haven't bought a new (meaning different) mask in 5 months! That is a record for me. And I am finally getting replacements parts via insurance...for the first time since I started on therapy!

Good luck to you!
Post Reply Post Reply
A hair net food processing type. You can find cpcp suppliers that for a small fee you can keep returnig masks until you find one that works.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your dreamwear headgear is slipping upwards in the back it means you're wearing it wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbM39gKtY
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same mask and same problem. My solution was a small piece of Velcro attached to the center of the back bottom strap, about a inch long, poke small hole for a shoe lace in Velcro. Thread shoe lace through hole, I then use a very small cord stop on the shoe lace.

Put mask on, drape shoe lace over head and the cord lock will end up under your chin, snug up cord lock a bit. Go to bed, no more slippery strap. Works like a charm.

I hope you can visualize the above, it really works well and solved the slippery strap issue.

I tried to post a pic but it said my photo was to big.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2019, 01:56 PM)Nightynite Wrote: I have the same mask and same problem. My solution was a small piece of Velcro attached to the center of the back bottom strap, about a inch long, poke small hole for a shoe lace in Velcro. Thread shoe lace through hole, I then use a very small cord stop on the shoe lace.

Put mask on, drape shoe lace over head and the cord lock will end up under your chin, snug up cord lock a bit. Go to bed, no more slippery strap. Works like a charm.

I hope you can visualize the above, it really works well and solved the slippery strap issue.

You could edit photos for attaching typically by an edit feature to resize to probably 10-25 % normal and see if the pixel count gets to acceptable.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the slippage problem if my hair gets a couple of inches long (it is very fine) If I keep it shorter Im fine. No proplem with vanity as I am too old to worry about how I look!
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2019, 01:56 PM)Nightynite Wrote: I have the same mask and same problem. My solution was a small piece of Velcro attached to the center of the back bottom strap, about a inch long, poke small hole for a shoe lace in Velcro. Thread shoe lace through hole, I then use a very small cord stop on the shoe lace.

Wonderful!
My attempt wasn't as successful...I added a second velcro strip (taken from a dreamwear that I was replacing.) I did that up tighter at the base of my skull. It helped....except I would wake up to see if my mask was leaking.
I'm mentioning this in case it helps someone.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2019, 11:29 AM)DaveL Wrote: Wonderful!
My attempt wasn't as successful...I added a second velcro strip (taken from a dreamwear that I was replacing.) I did that up tighter at the base of my skull. It helped....except I would wake up to see if my mask was leaking.
I'm mentioning this in case it helps someone.

I stopped wearing the dreamwear.

I've now had 3 of the ResMed N20 masks, one at a time of course. The N20 is very comfortable for me; it's better than the Wisp that I used to use.

I have very fine hair too, and understand.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New CPAP user - Fine Tuning Settings/Mask Help slowmo2000 0 260 01-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: slowmo2000
  [Treatment] New User; Fine Tuning- First 3 Days of Data jgthegrouch 9 422 01-16-2024, 02:25 PM
Last Post: jgthegrouch
  [Pressure] A few weeks in, how can I fine tune my settings? Keicereal 5 371 12-18-2023, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Keicereal
  BoxcarPete: An Adventure in Fine-Tuning BoxcarPete 32 1,552 12-06-2023, 12:15 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Need help with fine tuning pressure! LWilder 17 2,809 07-01-2023, 09:05 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Please help me fine tune my Dreamstation 2 drzebra 2 438 05-18-2023, 07:57 PM
Last Post: drzebra
  Help fine turning APAP settings for better night sleep livsmonster 4 788 04-26-2023, 12:47 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.