Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Slippage with Fine Hair
RE: Mask Slippage with Fine Hair
(09-14-2019, 01:56 PM)Nightynite Wrote: I have the same mask and same problem. My solution was a small piece of Velcro attached to the center of the back bottom strap, about a inch long, poke small hole for a shoe lace in Velcro. Thread shoe lace through hole, I then use a very small cord stop on the shoe lace.

Put mask on, drape shoe lace over head and the cord lock will end up under your chin, snug up cord lock a bit. Go to bed, no more slippery strap. Works like a charm.

I hope you can visualize the above, it really works well and solved the slippery strap issue.

I tried to post a pic but it said my photo was to big.

I have the exact same problem but my solution involves using an old extra headgear I had lying around from my previous mask. I attach the extra headgear to back bottom strap and loop the extra headgear loosely around my chin/neck. I've never had my dreamwear strap slipping off my head!  Coffee

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

hearsay73
Hosehead padawan 
Repaying my sleep debt, 1 night at a time...
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a lot of slippage with Dreamwear too.  F&P Brevida was slightly better, and VERY comfortable, but as an active sidesleeper, it dislodged  too frequently.   I have lately been using ResMed P10 and it is very stable. Strapping around back of head is very minimal.  The in-nostril cones are less soft than the Brevida, but that's what seems to keep it in place.   If you get dryness or irritation at the nostrils, a bit of aloe (squeeze from a plant if you have it, or you can get a bottle of 100% aloe from most drug stores) around edges of your nostrils before putting on the mask helps.   Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am having this slippage problem also.  I have found a Respironics headgear with an arm.

I am just new to the Apneaboard so cannot yet post a link. 

The item number is 1116751, or there is a full kit 1119/01 Philips.

I haven't got it yet but I do think it might help.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a similar problem, and have ordered an alternate head strap to see if it works better. It's a wide mesh band, advertised as stretchy in both directions to provide better stability. I found this item, Supotto Headgear, in a search on Amazon. I can't review it until I receive it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am using a Supotto mesh head strap that I got from Amazon. It does not slip as bad as the original headband, but it does still slip.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the same issue about 8 months ago and my solution works perfectly.

I use kinesiology tape, as the adhesive is not as sticky and the tape is very easy to remove without leaving any residue or irritation.
Simply cut a piece off and fasten it to the bottom bit of the head strap and the attach the other to your neck.
In the morning simply remove it. 

A roll of kinesiology tape is usually is 6 meters long and it lasts (if cut into 8 cm chunks) it lasts over 2 months. 

this is the one I use: D3 K60 Kinesiology Tape (but any will do as long as it is a Kinesiology one)

Kinesoiology tape is very flexible not too sticky and does not leave any goo (not like other tape which would be a nightmare to remove).

I absolutely swear by it. I usually cut my tape into 8cm pieces with help of a gillutine and have my stack of tape near my bed.
it is very easy to remove from the neck, but on occasion leaves some residue on the mask strap, but that gets off after washing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for posting a creative solution with all the detail needed.

For myself, after trying several styles of masks, I ended up using the Respironics AirFit with nasal cradle. I can place the back strap low enough to go just above the occipital ridge, below the curve at the back of the skull, and then the strap stays in place. The strap does squash the top of my ears, but it's tolerable with some cushioning added.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the same problem, this fixed it 100%. Amazon search for Headgear (with Arms) for DreamWear Nasal & DreamWear Gel Nasal Pillow. 
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the plastic arms. They do hold the back strap in place, but the rigid material against my head was too uncomfortable. Different folks can tolerate different things.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New CPAP user - Fine Tuning Settings/Mask Help slowmo2000 0 306 01-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: slowmo2000
  [Treatment] New User; Fine Tuning- First 3 Days of Data jgthegrouch 9 471 01-16-2024, 02:25 PM
Last Post: jgthegrouch
  [Pressure] A few weeks in, how can I fine tune my settings? Keicereal 5 395 12-18-2023, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Keicereal
  BoxcarPete: An Adventure in Fine-Tuning BoxcarPete 32 1,641 12-06-2023, 12:15 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Need help with fine tuning pressure! LWilder 17 2,862 07-01-2023, 09:05 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Please help me fine tune my Dreamstation 2 drzebra 2 458 05-18-2023, 07:57 PM
Last Post: drzebra
  Help fine turning APAP settings for better night sleep livsmonster 4 813 04-26-2023, 12:47 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.