Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: RESMED Mirage FX
Humidifier: RESMED
CPAP Pressure: 11.5
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Mask Slipping Problem
So, I'm using a Quattro FX full face mask. Nasal masks don't work for me because my nasal passages are always so clogged. Under normal conditions the full face works great; however, at least half the time I wake up in the middle of the night with the bottom of the mask having slipped so that it's literally in my mouth. By the time I wake up, I'm usually panicked and exhausted, as if I never had it on ... (really, a worse feeling than if I just wore nothing).

Anyone ever deal with this?
05-09-2014 05:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

RE: Mask Slipping Problem
I believe that mask, like my mask, comes in 3 sizes. S,M and L. The difference being a 1 cm difference in the length of the mask. If your mask's lower seal is ending up in your mouth, perhaps a 1 step larger mask is required. I use a size M. If I were to use a size S, I'd experience what you are; and if I were to use a size L, I would experience leaks as it would ride too low on my chin. The mask size is marked on the face seal at the bottom as an S, M or L.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-09-2014 05:32 AM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi chd3143,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might try a different size cushion for your mask and see if that will help.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.

trish6hundred
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2014 07:19 AM by trish6hundred.)
05-09-2014 07:18 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
jaycee Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: S-9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Quattro Air Large
Humidifier: 5i
CPAP Pressure: 9-13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: RT at a DME

I did use the Quattro FX until the Quattro Air came out. Much less leaking with Air.
05-09-2014 10:40 AM
robertbuckley Online

Preferred Members

Machine: Resprionics BiPAP Auto SV Advanced
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit F-10 Full Face
Humidifier: Resprionics System One
CPAP Pressure: EEP 15; PS 4 - 10
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

I use the Quattro FX in the medium size. I started with the large as that was the sizing on other masks in the past and it was just a bit too big and leaked. I switched to the medium, and all was good - except there are times that I experience the same problem - the lower edge has slipped up into my mouth and all sorts of alarms are going off on the machine. Played with the straps, the tension, etc. Finally (like an airplane crash) figured out it was the sum of a number of factors.
1) replace the cushion as often as allowed under your insurance (usually 1 a month). You don't think you need to - but trust me you do.
2) Wash the cushion with soap and water and rinse thoroughly every day. Air dry. You would be surprised how much oil and stuff are on the mask from just one wearing.
3) Wash your face (chin & lower lip especially) before going to bed.
4) do not put any lotions on your face at night (I never did - but just saying).
5) adjust the mask strap tensions (without the machine running) so it is comfortable on your face and not overly tight. Too tight actually is bad, as it prevents the seal from inflating when the air pressure starts in the mask.
6) Don't know if you are a side or back sleeper. If a side - you might get a cpap pillow that has indentations on the side that allow for some mask space; for both back and side - where is the hose positioned and is it pulling on the mask at all.
The Quattro FX is a really good mask, especially at higher pressures, which you are pushing - but you have to play with it a bit (as with all of them) and what works for one does not necessarily work for another. Also, I have found that the Resmed products tend to run size wise a little on the large side compared to other manufacturers. I wish they made a medium/large.
One last idea - you say you have nasal congestion - so you are probably a mouth breather and that could be contributing to the slippage, with mouth opening. Try a chin strap. you will still be able to breath, but your mouth won't be falling wide open.
Good luck - hang in there.
05-09-2014 12:02 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Regular Joe Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Auto
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit F10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 10
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Medical Technologist

I have the same issue from time to time, but I'm wild in bed Smile Strangely, it's often still sealed well and isn't leaking. It would be nice if it had it's own chin strap to keep it from riding up.
05-09-2014 11:51 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Problem with DreamWear Mask Judy1843 5 275 11-30-2016 04:03 AM
Last Post: holden4th
  New User Problem with BiPAP AVAPS - Part 1 jmayer180 35 1,274 11-27-2016 09:50 AM
Last Post: jmayer180
  Totally Confused by Airsense 10 Data - Centrals - Problem machine... ? mymontreal 20 988 11-20-2016 08:07 AM
Last Post: Rcgop
  ResMed Airsense 10 Setting Date Problem Reuven Gruber 6 292 11-16-2016 04:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 16 3,234 11-12-2016 02:51 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
Gross RERA Problem SideSleeper 24 1,003 11-02-2016 04:11 AM
Last Post: holden4th
  [Pressure] Problem exhaling unofon 18 842 10-24-2016 02:55 PM
Last Post: BadGoodDeb