Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Noob - overwhelmed with Oscar Data
Question 
Noob - overwhelmed with Oscar Data
75-year-old female on APAP for about 2 weeks. I just loaded my info into OSCAR. WOW! I don't even know how to interpret all this!

I had an at-home sleep study and here is my Doctor's impression:
Impression: The overall Apnea-Hypopnea Index (AHI) was 12.1 events per hour and the Respiratory Disturbance Index (RDI) was 20.9 events per hour demonstrating mild sleep apnea-hypopnea syndrome with moderate sleep-disordered breathing overall. The obstructive component to the AHI was 12.1 while the central apnea component to the AHI was 0 events per hour indicating Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) / G47.33. There was an increase in respiratory events during REM sleep with an
AHI of 31.1 events per hour. Snoring over 40dB was noted 46% of total sleep time. The oxygen desaturation nadir was 85% with an Oxygen Desaturation Index (ODI) of 11.4 per hour. Patient spent 2.4 minutes of total study time below 88%.

Attached are screenshots of last night's data (I hope).

I went into this whole process kicking and screaming, but now I feel like I'm doing OK; most nights getting close to a 100% score from the MYAir app.

What do you experts think?

Thank you so much!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Noob - overwhelmed with Oscar Data
Welcome to the board.  We see this all of the time where the settings are wide open with no real reason for the settings.

To begin with the absolute lowest any cpap machine can run is 4 that is what yours is set to.

The Max that your cpap can go is 20 and what your machine is set to 12 and that is fine.

EPR can be set to 1,2 or 3 yours is at 2 BUT is not doing Anything at all.

The min is your inhale pressure
EPR is subtracted from your min to get an exhale pressure BUT 4 is the lowest your machine can go so there is nothing to subtract from.   Min 4 - EPR 2 is still 4...

You have good numbers but you have high flow limits (look at your flow limit chart).   We can help flow limits by using EPR but you have to move the min up so EPR will work.  I would try Min 7 and EPR3.  That would give you inhale of 7 exhale of 4 and help with your flow limits.

Im sure you will find this is more comfortable and better sleep.

Again
Min 7
EPR 3 set to full time.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for your analysis.

I was able to change the EPR to 7 and it was already set to full time. However, I can't find the setting for the Min-inhale pressure. Does it have a different name in the settings?

Also, should I change both settings now or try one at a time and see how it goes?

I appreciate your help!
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are in the Autoset mode, in the clinician menu, there should be a Max Pressure and a Min Pressure.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR only goes to 3. 

Here is a very short video on setting pressure. 

https://m.youtube.com/results?sp=mAEA&se...e+settings
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Oops - my error. It is set to 3.  This is all new to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I made the changes to my settings as suggested - except I couldn't get the machine to accept a 7 on the minimum pressure so I set it to 6.8.

My AHI scores have gone way up the last 3 nights. I know there are other data but I thought the purpose of CPAP was to lower how many times I stop breathing during the night.

Should I give the new settings more time or return them to the original ones?

I am happy to upload some of my data but don't know which to send.

TYVM
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum. A 72YO here.
Your second chart is exactly what we want to see unless we ask for more. It is that full night view that gives us the most insite.

Post your chart any time it's new and post how you feel. And be critical. I feel fine means you need no more help and you are definitely not quite there yet. What feels off?
Post Reply Post Reply
My screenshots from last night are attached. I feel like I should be sleeping better and not so conscious of the machine. I also still feel tired during the day and take about a 1 hr nap daily.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
My OSCAR data is very similiar to OPs, with lots of CA and OAs (my in lab PSG is predominately OSA AHI 17)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  oscar data sleeper2460 0 49 7 hours ago
Last Post: sleeper2460
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 107 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 65 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Need help with OSCAR data Abhi 5 404 03-26-2024, 05:31 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 144 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 146 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Analyzing OSCAR DATA givememyusername 3 174 03-20-2024, 06:02 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.