Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Type Factors?
Mask Type Factors?
Hi everyone,

I'm curious what factors you use when choosing your type of mask.  What ate the decision points you use for the mask type you prefer

I've tried to switch from a hybrid mask to a nasal mask with limited success and wondering if it's even worth the effort.  I learned early on that I'm a mouth breather, a behavior I discovered was one of the contributing factors in my original diagnosis.  

With a full face mask I have virtually zero leaks, and successful therapy.  However I also have the general discomfort of a full mask.  Even while wearing a full mask, I use some mouth tape to prevent mouth breathing and drooling from the corners of my mouth.  I figured that, since I'm using tape anyway, a nasal mask would be worth the comfort improvement.  Unfortunately leaking skyrocketed with a nasal mask, due almost entirely to mouth breathing.  To stay leak free I have to use more tape (wider + longer), and I can't cut an anti-asphyxiation hole.  I can see from my data that leaks are causing arousals, so I'm at the point where I have to decide if it makes more sense to have a less comfortable mask with no leak issues, or a more comfortable mask with the likely addition of a chin strap or collar.

In any case, I'm curious what subjective points you all use when choosing the type of mask you wear (that is, aside from just the data).

Cheers!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Type Factors?
Hi,

My girlfriend is not only mouth breathing, she often talks while sleeping. That is a first requirement for her full face mask.

She also needs pretty high pressure (min is 12.2 and max is 15.8, which is reached pretty often). Such a high pressure in a pillow mask is very uncomfortable for her. That is her second point for her full face mask.

because of her allergies, she is not always able / comfortable breathing from her nose. That is the third hard requirement for her full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I stared with a full face mask and knew I was doomed with cpap if I had to wear that contraption.
I taught myself to mouth breath over time and it was the best thing for me. I use a Dreamwear Nasel mask and the hose connector on top of the head is why I stay with it. I just recently discovered mouth taping and I have had also great success with that. It’s an ongoing journey/evolution for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not normally a mouth breather but the minute something is close to/on/in my nose I feel like I can't breathe out of it and start mouth breathing. 

I really don't want to use tape or strap, don't want to learn the tongue trick, so my only option is the FFMs.

I've tried a few and now I alternate between the F30 and the Evora FFM. 
The F30 is quieter but a finicky diva to adjust straps to avoid leak.

In my opinion, there is nothing comfortable about any mask. I just suck it up and use what produces fewer leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
A full face mask addresses the issue of mouth-leaking much better. It pressurizes the inside of your mouth so that you don't need to keep your mouth closed (by using a chin strap, tape, or a tongue placement technique).

The reason I switched to a full face mask is because I could see by looking at my leak rate graph that there were large chunks of time where my leak rate was elevated above the baseline.

You need to find a mask that fits the shape of your particular face, so that it doesn't leak. As you use the mask and become adapted to it, comfort will no longer be an issue.

I thought I would never be able to wear a full face mask. I started on a nasal mask and it was too much for me, I just couldn't tolerate it. So I switched to nasal pillows and wore those for a couple of years. Then, to address the mouth-leaking I switched to a full face mask and to my surprise I was able to tolerate it with no problem. Time allows us to adapt to things.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
For me it is the ability to put on glasses that is most important. If something wakes me up, I want to be able to look around. Or if I watch TV or read before sleep.

So my list would be:
1.      No bridge between eyes.
2.      Comfort as much as a mask can be.
3.      Leak control
4.      Mask design

I started 20 years ago with Respironics-comfortgel-blue-nasal mask the doctor insisted I needed at first. I hated that frame bridge to the forehead. I switched to the Respironics Optilife nasal pillows. I don’t think either is still made and now the Optilife nasal pillow would be classified as nasal prongs. I have problems at times breathing through my nose. But to get rid of the bridge, I am happy to use higher pressure with nasal prongs.

I am now using F30 and will be going to F30i next. I recently had sinus surgery again and my Doctor wanted me on full face. It was a good move because my nose was a little sensitive after the surgery. I will probably be looking for nasal prongs again because I find it hard to keep leaking under control with the nasal pillows. It would be great if the F30 had the gel pad below the silicon like the Respronics did. Probably would not leak.
-- Bill
Struggling to keep the air moving like everyone else …  ?

Standard Disclaimer:
I'm just a CPAP user like you. I can't give medical advice. 
  Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
The Amara View will allow you to wear glasses. But the biggest concern needs to be leaks. If you don't get your leaks under control your therapy will never be effective.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too have a priority that the mask has to be able to accommodate glasses. But all the gyrations necessary to me to successfully use a nasal/cushion mask are more irritating than using a hybrid FF like the ResMed F30i. I have also found I just breathe better when the pressure between my mouth and nose is equalized, as it is with a FF mask.

The Amara is very similar to the F30i, but it is just not as comfortable on my facial structure. And I am considering trying an F30, as the F30i blows a lot of air through the vents, which was fine in the summer, but with cooler weather not so much. I used to think the hybrids were much more unstable than a traditional FF mask, but for me it turned out the key is the headgear (small for me despite needing a medium mask) and fuzzy strap covers to keep it stable on the face.

Bottom line: what really makes or breaks a mask is how well it helps you breathe and sleep, Sleepster makes an excellent point, that once your body realizes this, it will ignore many of the initial peculiarities of a given mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
First, nothing in front of my face.

I used two nasal pillow masks with tape. The first nasal pillow felt like a lot of pressure; even thought the second nasal pillow looked the same it did not look feel like a lot of pressure (maybe because of the extra tubing.)

For the winter, incase I got sick, I ordered the Universal Hybrid Full Face Mask by Innomed. It has nasal pillows and a chin strap. It was great for 15 years. This fall I have been having leak issues. The new one I bought seems a bit different or just my face.

Always a work in progress.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Bleep maskless system might work for you. A number of us use and love it. There are no straps at all, and the amount of pressure does not matter with this system.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 244 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Bilevel settings (and other factors) revisited dfunk 15 1,110 12-20-2023, 04:09 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Mask Type Setting Mpadgett714 1 512 12-11-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Mask type in settings isn’t the mask I’m wearing 3k9BAO 1 414 11-15-2023, 11:31 PM
Last Post: eok361
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 8 16,058 11-13-2023, 10:14 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Treatment] Where can I get this type of Boil-and-bite Mandibular Advancement Splint / MAD? selfhelpdevice 1 307 11-13-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What type of leaks are these on OSCAR? meatwagon42 2 449 11-09-2023, 10:20 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.