Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Type & General Intro
Mask Type & General Intro
I am new here. I am a 64 YO male. I found this forum while researching information about cpap machines. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea one year ago. after a sleep study. My doc ordered a machine which my insurance "approved". However the supplier informed me that my out of pocket cost was over $900! I was shocked! I had just written a large check for my daughter'a wedding and was pretty tapped out financially at the moment so told them to keep their machine.

It is now nearly a year since I originally did the sleep study. Because of my deductibles, they really don't contribute much towards the cost yet they still require all of their "compliance" garbage. I am a hiking/ backpacking and camping fan and do not wish to give those things up. I don't like the fact that if I take a weekend away, big brother will be watching over me ready to shake his corporate finger at me. Because of the big brother issues, I want to purchase a machine and bypass the whole insurance thing. My primary and sleep docs are highly resistant to that.

My decision is I am going my own way by purchasing my own machine. My sleep doc says I need a auto set machine set at 10-20 pressure. I have worn a beard for all of my adult life so figure I will start with a nasal mask of some kind. I would like to ask your recommendation on what type of mask I should use and any other tidbits you can share which might be helpful.

Thanks,
Mike

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Type & General Intro
Hi Nor Cal Mike,
Here is a link that will show you the current machines out there, and which ones to avoid.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

If money is an issue, check out Supplier #2 from the supplier list above. They sell gently used equipment and also open boxed new. Please read the link above on "choices".
Look for a fully data capable Auto Cpap.

If you are taking your machine on a camping trip, I believe Respironics Apap's are a better choice when using a battery. There are many threads on this subject.

Masks are the hardest part of therapy. Check out some of the suppliers from list anove, and look at the photos. If you purchase, be sure to get the 30 day return guarantee.

Mabye, others can chime in on their favorite mask.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mike, the Philips Dreamstation Auto DSX500T11 CPAP with heated humidifier and heated hose has been selling on Amazon for about $400. Prices vary so be sure to look at several vendors to compare price and features. The Dreamstation Auto is an excellent machine that will give you full efficacy data and a nice set of features at a great price. This same machine would certainly cost $900 through your DME. I suggest you check into mask supplies from the DME, but if you want to try the Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillows mask, those are also sold on Amazon for $63 (commonly at DME for $200). Working through insurance can cost more in some cases than just buying outright. Good luck!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Nor Cal Mike,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
, Good luck to you as you start your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all for your information.

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
Mike, have to second what Sleeprider has advised. That is the exact setup I have and could not be happier. Machine offers plenty of flexibility for you to take control or your therapy and the AirFit P10 would work great with a beard.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are going to use cpap off the elec. grid (12 volt DC) is easy with the right adapters or machine. The big problem is supplying enough 12 volt DC to run all night.

Turning off the heater helps lower the power needed. Carrying a large battery to a remote camp can be taxing.

I use the Dreamstation for it's ease of use on 12voltDC.

Please read some of the very good post about battery backup.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
For nasal masks, the Airfit P10 is probably the most popular. If you have a large head, however, it may become uncomfortable. It's predecessor, the Swift pillow mask, works quite well. You can tell if you have a large head- most standard hats at places like Target won't fit you. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 9 16,886 04-03-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 315 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Events worse in the morning and events in general getting worse Elizabeth79 45 2,100 02-14-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Elizabeth79
  General Issues Lusk 3 366 01-22-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Some advice with aperia and intro cpap kit ifsmithy 2 324 12-18-2023, 12:42 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Mask Type Setting Mpadgett714 1 535 12-11-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Mask type in settings isn’t the mask I’m wearing 3k9BAO 1 431 11-15-2023, 11:31 PM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.