Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Amara View
Humidifier: DreamStation Auto Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 8.5-14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Mask Type Setting on Dreamstation
What does this do? At some point last week I noticed that my mask had an "x2" marked on it, so I changed my mask setting from "x1" to "x2". I also started having feelings of air starvation that would not allow me to sleep on Saturday night and every night since (see my ongoing saga in "CPAP Nightmare"), and now I'm wondering if this could be the culprit.

Can anyone tell me what this setting does and if putting it back to x1 could help my breathing issues at night? And does SleepyHead record this setting so I can go back and see when I did it?
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2016 12:59 PM by bernerbits.)
09-16-2016 12:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
KSMatthew Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR DreamStation Auto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 7

Other Comments:

RE: Mask Setting on Dreamstation
I have a Dreamstation, too, and that was one of my questions when I set it up.

My understanding (and I couldn't find any documentation from Philips Respironics about it, so this is a repeat of the way I understood it when it was explained to me):

The masks made by Philips Respironics are calibrated to have a particular leak rate at a given pressure. Pretty much the same for all manufacturers, and you'll find the charts inside the mask documentation. But each mask has a different air volume inside the mask itself. Pillows have a very small volume, and something like a full face mask has a large volume. The masks made by PR have a number stamped on them that the machine can use for better calculating response times for pressure changes - a large volume mask will take longer for a pressure change to occur, a small volume mask will take a smaller amount of time. These pressure changes are used to record breathing patterns, (inhale will lower the pressure inside the mask, exhale raises the back pressure) for example.

From what I've seen - if you don't have a PR mask, there isn't a number, so you leave that OFF, and for a PR mask you match the setting.

It doesn't change any pressure settings, just the sensitivity levels the machine software uses.

I don't think that Sleepyhead records this, I don't remember seeing it on any reports.
09-16-2016 01:05 PM
KSMatthew Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

RE: Mask Type Setting on Dreamstation
Follow up -

I did find this:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...e-Settings

It looks like this is a resistance setting - the easier air flows through the mask, the lower the number.

http://incenter.medical.philips.com/docl...ernum%3d-2
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2016 01:13 PM by KSMatthew.)
09-16-2016 01:12 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
bernerbits Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: DreamStation Auto

Other Comments:

Hrm. Well maybe the air starvation feeling is something else then. I did read another forum where someone said the mask setting fixed his suffocating feeling.

Still might as well try with the X1.
09-16-2016 01:44 PM
KSMatthew Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

Air starvation - I'm no expert, but this is the interweb, so here I go...

You inhale, the CPAP pressure acts as a boost to keep your airway open. But, if you inhale fast and deeply enough you can "pull" because the airflow from the machine doesn't replace that volume of air quickly enough. Maybe that's the air starvation feeling? Check the comfort settings, there might be something that can be adjusted. There might be an "assist" between inhale and exhale that can help. It might be called "flex" or "comfort" or similar and usually adjusts the speed of pressure changes. If you went from x1 to x2 the machine might believe your mask has a different resistance and is changing the speed at which it adjusts pressures. There is probably another setting, somewhere, that does the same thing.

If you are in auto mode, your starting air pressure might just be too low.

Are you using biPAP, APAP, or CPAP mode?

(This post was last modified: 09-16-2016 02:03 PM by KSMatthew.)
09-16-2016 02:01 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
chill Online

Advisory Members

Machine: DreamStation X500
Mask Make & Model: Walk-in Mask Closet
Humidifier: DreamStation
CPAP Pressure: 13-16

Other Comments: CPAP True Believer

IMO this is mostly a marketing thing to induce people to use their masks. What is does is adjust pressure a bit based on anticipated leak rates so that the pressure in the mask is closer to what is set on the machine. The pressure sensor is in the machine and the actual delivered pressure (i.e. in your airway) is always a little lower. The machine compensates for things like hose size, mask type, humidifier etc to try and keep the mask pressure what is programmed on the machine.

I don't think this is likely what is causing your suffocation feelings, but change it back and see if it helps. If that does, then more (or less) pressure might be what you need to address the feeling. SleepyHead does not record this, at least not anywhere I have seen.
09-16-2016 02:31 PM
bernerbits Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

(09-16-2016 02:01 PM)KSMatthew Wrote:  Air starvation - I'm no expert, but this is the interweb, so here I go...

You inhale, the CPAP pressure acts as a boost to keep your airway open. But, if you inhale fast and deeply enough you can "pull" because the airflow from the machine doesn't replace that volume of air quickly enough. Maybe that's the air starvation feeling? Check the comfort settings, there might be something that can be adjusted. There might be an "assist" between inhale and exhale that can help. It might be called "flex" or "comfort" or similar and usually adjusts the speed of pressure changes. If you went from x1 to x2 the machine might believe your mask has a different resistance and is changing the speed at which it adjusts pressures. There is probably another setting, somewhere, that does the same thing.

If you are in auto mode, your starting air pressure might just be too low.

Are you using biPAP, APAP, or CPAP mode?

I'm in APAP mode and I'm already using max FLEX settings.
09-16-2016 02:40 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Cbarrios Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Philips Dreamstation Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Nuance Pro Gel
Humidifier: Dreamstation
CPAP Pressure: 11 to 17

Other Comments:

I also have a Dreamstation and now using a Nuance Pro Gel mask. I had originally bought a DreamWear mask and that is set at x1. I was having leak issues when sleeping on my side. The Nuance Pro was rated very highly for side sleepers so I tried it. I first tried a medium pillow but did not change it from 1x to 2x. I had no problems at all with getting enough air. My settings back then were 8 to 14. Once I did change it over to x2 I also felt very air deprived. I even woke up in the middle of the night gasping for air. Little by little I started increasing my minimum setting by .5. Once I got to 9 I felt I was getting enough air. At the nine setting I also tried the small pillow mask. It Also felt like I was air deprived. Currently I use my minimum setting at 11 with a medium pillow and get 0.5 to 0.75 AHI readings every night. Increasing my minimum setting has also decreased my snoring from a 4 to a 2.
09-16-2016 04:34 PM
bernerbits Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

Yeah, putting it from x2 to x1 fixed the breathing for me.
09-29-2016 08:01 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Accuracy of Resmed AS10 vs Sleep Study Type IMSleeplessInSeattle 5 446 11-28-2016 12:11 AM
Last Post: sleepytimegal
  [Equipment] Dreamstation auto off ??? johno02 15 761 11-27-2016 01:56 PM
Last Post: johno02
  AHI differs between DreamStation and AirsSense 10 JD007 11 661 11-20-2016 03:48 AM
Last Post: holden4th
  [Equipment] what setting for mask airsense 10 abrun7 1 177 11-17-2016 06:57 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Reset Machine Hours DreamStation Perchas 1 215 11-17-2016 06:26 PM
Last Post: robysue
  ResMed Airsense 10 Setting Date Problem Reuven Gruber 6 300 11-16-2016 04:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question CA's, Mask type, and leaks/vent Rcgop 10 373 11-15-2016 03:02 PM
Last Post: robysue