Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Diet and AHI
Diet and AHI
I know that my OSA is directly linked to my obesity  but have come across a little problem.
My apap is already maxed out set to a pressure of 16 to 20 and my AHI  averages about 6 if 
I eat a regular diet.  But on a day that I have 500  calories of junk carbs right before bed my
AHI will probably be 2 or 3 .  On the other hand go on a low carb diet and my AHI  will hop
up to 8 to 16 !  So eat junk and have a lower AHI in the very short term or  cut back on the 
carbs to lose weight but have my AHI go through the roof till I lose a lot of weight.  Any idea
what is happening here.  Oh my Dr.has sent in a prescription for a new Resmed Bipap but  I
don't know if it will be approves let alone how long it will take to get one.   So tonight should
I stick to my diet and have an AHI of  8 to 16  or have a large dish of ice cream and have a
AHI of 3  or use the recalled Phillips System One Bipap and set it for 24/20 !
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Diet and AHI
Did the diet change AHI every time or you saw it when you ate junk versus good food as single snapshots?

As for not getting BPAP, and I'm suggesting you request ResMed VAuto, I'd ask why you're not on it now. You're maxing CPAP pressures. I was told when I started PAP that if I constantly need pressures over 15, or if I could not tolerate CPAP, pass Go and collect BPAP.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is fairly consistant I first noticed this about 7 years ago.
As why I am not already on a bipap well thats a long story
involving my old Dr. and my new one but it's to painfull to
talk about. But the new one called the order in last week
and I hope Medicare okays it.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's OK, details aren't necessary. If a doctor changes or issues a new script, then the BPAP should be issued without problem.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are certain foods that effect the quality of my sleep, in that they act like drugs. Foods with high levels of tryptophan or melatonin (turkey, chicken, bananas). I'd wake up groggy and brain sluggish. It does not make sense to me that eating junk foods would improve sleep, over healthier choices. Your AHI is pretty low anyway. As far as weight loss, it well fall off, just have to give up the food groups that put it on. Flour based products, dairy, oils  food additives (man made foods). Flour is converted into sugar. There are bread alternatives out there.
Post Reply Post Reply
E. W.
You are very perceptive in that you know your apnea is connected to your diet.  Please consider looking up [Commercial Link Removed]Search for DietDoctor.  A lot of their information is free.  Perhaps attacking the root cause of your apnea will be the ultimate successful resolution of your nightly snack question.  Best wishes.

-----
Moderator Action: Commercial Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for Help - Excruciating Tooth Pain, a Dentist’s Check, and Diet Change RayBee 10 1,854 05-07-2022, 10:26 AM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Sport and Diet influence on AHI koala1 8 839 03-14-2022, 06:50 PM
Last Post: koala1
  CSA and Diet? your thoughts/experience please. BFair2all 7 973 08-24-2021, 08:38 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  AHI and diet tmoody 18 2,709 09-19-2019, 02:12 AM
Last Post: AshSF
  Diet [affect on Sleep Apnea] E.W. 6 1,599 07-13-2019, 07:41 AM
Last Post: Bubba45
  AHI and sugar diet relation? horsepower 6 1,455 10-03-2018, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Diet and AHI E.W. 1 1,008 09-14-2018, 06:17 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.