Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Whistling
Sad 
Mask Whistling
For the second night in a row, I've gotten virtually no sleep.

I have been using the Airsense 10 with Full Face Mask since I was diagnosed with Severe OSA in November 2015. I've had next to no trouble until recently.

Mask Whistling started about 3 weeks ago. After doing a bit of googling, it seemed to be related to the Humidifier Settings. I decreased the setting to 2 and the problems stopped. It started again night before last. I just turned the humidifier off - I would rather have a dry mouth than whistling all night. It hasn't done a thing.

It seems to take about 10 - 15 minutes before whistling starts again, and I wake up with a wet mask. When I uncliped the tubing from the mask there is also drops of water coming from the end of the tubing. I wipe it out, but it just comes back again after another 10-15 minutes, and I haven't gotten back to sleep yet.

TL,DR - Wet Mask, Water droplets from end of tubing, Humidifier turned off, Temp set at 25 degrees (Celsius). No sleep for 2 nights - HELP!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Whistling
I just run my fingers over the vent holes while air is jetting out. It causes the moisture to be carried away in the air stream and makes the whistling stop.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What is the temperature of the room that you sleep in? Is there water in the humidifier tank? If so, empty it out. Is the 25 deg. C the tubing temp?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah the 25 degrees is the tubing temp. I couldn't tell you exactly what the room temp is, but it is starting to get cooler here (Winter next month) I would guess 15-20 degrees?

I have been wiping over the vent holes when it starts whistling. It will stop it for a bit. But I can't do it every 10 minutes which is how long it takes to start whistling again
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2016, 05:06 PM)KittenKath Wrote: I have been wiping over the vent holes when it starts whistling. It will stop it for a bit. But I can't do it every 10 minutes which is how long it takes to start whistling again

That indicates to me that moisture in the hose is the culprit. You need less humidification, a higher temperature bedroom, a heated hose, an insulated hose, or some combination of the above.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi KittenKath,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You could get a heated hose for your machine, or you could make a hose cover with some old socks; cut the toes out of them and make a tube the length of your hose from end to end. Get a couple rubber bands and put one on each end of the hose to hold the sock tube in place at each end. Hopefully, this will help you with the rainout in your hose.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep what he said-You need less humidification, a higher temperature bedroom, a heated hose, an insulated hose, or some combination of the above.
you need to keep the cooler room from cooling down the tube, this causes moisture to drop out of the air in the tube. you can also see if you can lower the CPAP machine so the water runs back into the machine instead of into your mask
Post Reply Post Reply
The hose is heated! I would make a first try by increasing the hose temperature as well as making sure that the humidifier tank has no water in it.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
My Resmed quattro FX full face mask is whistling ALL OF A SUDDEN out of the bottom two long holes (below my lower lip). I am not wiping it every time it whistles. I could tape it shut from the inside; those holes are minor compared to the valve in the tube and the many holes above the nose...
Where's the logic in making two long holes on the bottom?? Of COURSE they would whistle.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your Quattro FX has a port for oxygen connection on the bottom of the mask. It is comprised of two holes and comes with a plug installed in both holes. Apparently the plug has fallen out and gotten lost. The same type of plug on my Mirage Quattro masks will fall out every now and then and so far it wakes me up every time and I have been able to find the plug and re-install it. If you have another Quattro FX you could rob the plug from there or you could tape those 2 holes closed with no problem unless you use oxygen. I do not think that anyone sells a replacement plug.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed 10 whistling Jim Logan 2 387 11-19-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Jim Logan
  [Equipment] Phillips Dreamwear mask is whistling melody 2 581 09-26-2023, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,523 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,204 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,747 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question Whistling CPAP NannyRobina 14 1,729 06-07-2021, 09:27 AM
Last Post: NannyRobina
  Whistling Airsense 10 - Not the humidifier Sugarvenom 3 1,261 02-25-2021, 08:35 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.