Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask after Mask after Mask!!
Mask after Mask after Mask!!
Any suggestions would be appreciated,

I am 3 months into my therapy and I am going to need a different type of therapy soon.

I have tried several different Full Face masks and can't get any sleep.
Pressure of 15 and being a side sleeper is causing the problem.
Leaks, leaks more leaks.

The only solution that has come close to working was a nasal mask and taping my mouth. I don't care to do that for an extended period.

Any miracle Mask Sealing tips?

Any Mask Suggestions?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask after Mask after Mask!!
Join the club. It's not what you want to read, but finding a mask that is both leak-free and comfortable is one of the harder tasks if not the hardest task of getting used to CPAP therapy.

I am 10+ years ahead of you and am still searching for a better mask. Granted, a few are lucky and have faces that are perfect for their mask, I am not one of them.

Supplier #1 offers free return insurance on many masks. And they really do take them back no hassles. I would try every single one that offers free returns until you either find one you can work with, or run out of masks to try.

If you have insurance, usually they will give you 30 days, and one swap, and do this twice per year (how mine works) - so even if you don't need a new mask, use the option to either get spares, or to try new masks.

Welcome to the forum.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hubby has the F&P Simplus mask and he sleeps best on his side but his pressure is a bit less than yours though at 13.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Homertwin,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm sorry you are having such a rough start with CPAP therapy.
The mask is the hardest part of this whole thing but I encourage you to just keep trying, there are so many masks out there as you are finding out.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you, as you continue on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Just my usual suggestion based on similar results as yours, and that is the Resmed P10 pillows mask. There are others too, but this is the one I chose. I sleep on my side, on my back, on my head, on my feet,,,,, anything I can find to sleep on I sleep on. Not on the miserable cats anymore though because they moved out.

What I discovered is I can use the pillows mask very effectively regardless of how I sleep. I do use a chinstrap to assist in keeping my jaw forward when I fall asleep, and thereby allowing me to keep my mouth shut, and the airway blocked with my tongue. I think most users are able to use the mask without a chinstrap, but I'm not sure. I most assuredly would not dream of "taping" my mouth shut. I just think that's a bad idea waiting to happen.

There are still a few folks out here that have not converted to the P10. But it's just a matter of time....... "Resistance is futile."
Post Reply Post Reply
The P10 is a useless mask due to its stupid headgear. In my opinion. I resisted and feel the better for it.

But back to the OP. You are not alone in the Never Ending Search For A Mask. Some of us took a long time to find the right one. Or still haven't. Don't give up just because of the mask! Keep going. There's a lot of them out there.

If you are certain you are breathing through your mouth, then there are still things to try. And please, avoid taping if you can. I consider it a very dangerous practice. There is a product called Chin Ups or something like that but it is more for those whose jaw kinda remains closed but it is the lips that open.

There's the hybrid masks, part nasal pillow, part "full face" (covers the mouth). Some folks get a better seal with that because it only covers the mouth so less material to fiddle with.

The Quattro masks are very popular. A lot of folks use liners to help with the seal. Some use commercial ones or make their own out of old tee shirts.

Next would be chin straps. There's a wide variety of those as well. Some masks, a cup for the chin is built in the headgear. A chin strap needs to be on tight enough to keep the mouth closed when you relax but not so tight you cannot chew without effort. Using a chin strap then allows you to use any of the other masks out there including nasal pillows and nasal masks.

Keep at it. Keep searching.

We're here to help.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2014, 03:56 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The P10 is a useless mask due to its stupid headgear. In my opinion. I resisted and feel the better for it.

..............Resistance is futile.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2014, 03:12 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Just my usual suggestion based on similar results as yours, and that is the Resmed P10 pillows mask. There are others too, but this is the one I chose. I sleep on my side, on my back, on my head, on my feet,,,,, anything I can find to sleep on I sleep on. Not on the miserable cats anymore though because they moved out.

What I discovered is I can use the pillows mask very effectively regardless of how I sleep. I do use a chinstrap to assist in keeping my jaw forward when I fall asleep, and thereby allowing me to keep my mouth shut, and the airway blocked with my tongue. I think most users are able to use the mask without a chinstrap, but I'm not sure. I most assuredly would not dream of "taping" my mouth shut. I just think that's a bad idea waiting to happen.

There are still a few folks out here that have not converted to the P10. But it's just a matter of time....... "Resistance is futile."

"Fascinating..." OK, from a Different StarTrek series. From looking at the P10 I might agree to - "You will be assimilated." When I am due for a new mask headgear I just might try it.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
There will always be some members who are easily distracted, and forget that looks aren't everything, and that the best masks could look a little silly, but eventually they too will be assimilated. As RG says "resistance is futile" and as I say try the P10 it could change your life, it's like MIO it changes everything. I sleep on my side, on my back on RG on that snail guy on anything in the way of my getting some sleep and the P10 is the way to go. Give it a shot.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
What the "Frak" is with all the Sci-Fi quotes. Sorry wrong series.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement and suggestions.

A nasal pillow or mask will not work for me. I tried a chin strap but my wife started calling me Mr. Ed. You can still mouth breath with your teeth clenched.

The mask I am using now is doing it's job according to the readings.
Thanks for the Rescan software by the way.

My issue, I guess is comfort to allow sleep. I have this thing cranked so tight I have lines on my face for hours in the morning. All the instruction says not to tighten too much, which works until the pressure ramps up and even lying still on my back it leaks.

Are mask liners an option? Do they work?
Is one mask better than another for higher pressure?

Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 82 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,557 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 140 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 119 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 151 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.