Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask air leak
Mask air leak
According to myAir, the nights of the 16th and 17th, I had very bad mask leaks. 

The 16th, it was 23 L/min and on the 17th, it was 42 L/min. Generally speaking, my mask seal is excellent, rarely ever rising about 5 L/min. 

There have been numerous times (more than not) that it was 0. I have no idea what happened.  Dont-know Then again, I have my suspicions that my CPAP machine is a random number generator when it comes to tracking the AHI's. 

I check every morning. I really can't complain all too much. Most have been under 2. If I ever see a big fat O, I'll probably go into shock.  Rolleyes
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask air leak
I have perhaps six or seven '0" records in my nearly 19 months of treatment.  For a while I was averaging <0.5, but I seem to be creeping up toward an average of 0.8 these days, and it's rising.  Maybe time to ditch my original mask?  Shock My headgear is original, as is my hose.  So far, I can't seem to figure out what is changing.  Even so, I had a 0 about ten days ago, so my variance seems to be larger.

Howz your variability over the past six weeks?  Do you spot a trend if you graph weekly averages?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2019, 09:23 PM)mesenteria Wrote: I have perhaps six or seven '0" records in my nearly 19 months of treatment.  For a while I was averaging <0.5, but I seem to be creeping up toward an average of 0.8 these days, and it's rising.  Maybe time to ditch my original mask?  Shock My headgear is original, as is my hose.  So far, I can't seem to figure out what is changing.  Even so, I had a 0 about ten days ago, so my variance seems to be larger.

Howz your variability over the past six weeks?  Do you spot a trend if you graph weekly averages?

My graph prior to the 16th and 17th, was quite low and steady. I think the highest it's been prior to those two dates was still below 4. 

Of all the things that myAir tracks, my mask seal was the best as far as results go. I'm not much for deep dreaming, but there are nights when I do fall into a deep sleep. When I do so, I suppose I'm not aware of a mask leak, like I usually am. 

I'm going to write it off as just an abnormality. Overall, I'm still doing quite well.  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2019, 09:49 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I'm not much for deep dreaming, but there are nights when I do fall into a deep sleep. When I do so, I suppose I'm not aware of a mask leak, like I usually am. 

You might want to try a different pillow. I use a knock off of the Papillow. Easily found on Amazon.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My mask leakage rate was 25 L/min. last night. That now makes three nights in a row with unusually large leaks. 

I might go back to my AirFit F20 mask tonight and see how that works out............... Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
I used my AirFit F20 last night. Result was 0.3 AHI and O leaks.   Thinking-about

Still no idea as to why my F30 turned on me like it did.  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
I am reasonably happy with my ResMed AirTouch F20, which has a memory foam cushion. It's the most comfortable mask I've worn and also the least likely to leak.
Post Reply Post Reply
The last four nights, I had 0 mask leaks. I'm back to using my AirFit F20 face mask. The myAir overall score was 99. I don't see a whole lot of those. 

Looks like I'll be sticking with the F20 for a while.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
My F30 has been leak free for me ... except I wrestle with the hose too much.

The DreamWear Nasal Cushion has been leak free for me also ... if the darn thing did not hurt my nose ... I love the connection at the top and it would be my go to mask.

(Fingers crossed the AirFit N30i does not hurt my nose as it is similar to the F30 design ... expected Friday.)
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-21-2019, 11:47 AM)Big Guy Wrote: I used my AirFit F20 last night. Result was 0.3 AHI and O leaks.   Thinking-about

Still no idea as to why my F30 turned on me like it did.  Dont-know

Do you clean the F30 consistently?  My silicone masks leak if I don't clean them routinely (the grease from my face is not helpful for sealing).

P.S.  The F20 AirTouch (with memory foam) is the only FFM that I've found that does NOT leak on me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 55 16 minutes ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 245 03-27-2024, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,414 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 147 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 155 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 139 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  2 weeks in. Mask leak and flow limit Jojo1982 11 681 02-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Jojo1982

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.