Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask bounces up and down
Question 
Mask bounces up and down
I have a bad mouth leak. When I fall asleep, I relax and my jaw drops. I have used a Ruby chin strap with some success, but it tends to affect my mask fit after a couple of hours and I get mask leaks. I am trying to address this with a FitLife Total Face mask (covers eyes, nose and mouth). When I put the mask on and start my machine, the flexible seal allows the mask to inflate and deflate when I breath causing the mask to "bounce" on my face, sometimes two times in each breath cycle (inhale/exhale). The seal holds, but this thing bouncing up and down on my face makes it impossible to sleep! Any ideas?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask bounces up and down
Hi A1BSTEG,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for suggestions and answers to your question and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
That's probably the EPR setting. Try lowering or disabling it. I do notice a slight bounce on the Airsense 10 even with EPR off though (0 bounce on my System One w/ A-Flex off though). Also try using Remzzs on the Simplus, that combo has eliminated 99% of my leaks. It's an extra $25 a month, but meh, worth it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-25-2015, 12:49 AM)mrkdilkington Wrote: That's probably the EPR setting. Try lowering or disabling it. I do notice a slight bounce on the Airsense 10 even with EPR off though (0 bounce on my System One w/ A-Flex off though). Also try using Remzzs on the Simplus, that combo has eliminated 99% of my leaks. It's an extra $25 a month, but meh, worth it.

What is Remzzs? I have a Simplus and am interested.

Post Reply Post Reply
Your pressure between 10-20 seems like a large range. Does it have to be that far apart? Most people using a range have it 4-5 points apart from what I've seen. Maybe the high pressure is causing the mask to bounce and cause seal leakage?
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-25-2015, 08:33 AM)Snowbird47 Wrote:
(11-25-2015, 12:49 AM)mrkdilkington Wrote: That's probably the EPR setting. Try lowering or disabling it. I do notice a slight bounce on the Airsense 10 even with EPR off though (0 bounce on my System One w/ A-Flex off though). Also try using Remzzs on the Simplus, that combo has eliminated 99% of my leaks. It's an extra $25 a month, but meh, worth it.

What is Remzzs? I have a Simplus and am interested.

Snowbird47,
Cpap mask liners. See Supplier #1.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Thanks. Turning Pressure Relief off does make a difference, but not enough to allow me to fall asleep. When I exhale the mask cushion still expands enough to push the solid portion of the mask outward a quarter inch or more and then it drops quickly and even rebounds a bit -- the motion that I call "bouncing". This prevents me from falling asleep with the total face mask.

In the last five months, I have tried at least 5 different masks and even got fitted by my dentist for $420 oral device that was supposed to thrust my jaw forward and keep my mouth closed. All to little or no avail. (The only thing that works consistently is a nasal mask and adhesive tape to keep my mouth shut - not an acceptable solution. I have a pretty round face and chubby cheeks. The Chin Strap keeps my mouth shut, but puffs out my cheeks to the point that I end up having to tighten the mask more and more almost to the point of painfulness -- and after a time, leaks still wake me and I have to change masks. Ordered Remzzzs and will try them and Papcap to see if they help with my Simples and Comfort Gel full face masks. Shame I can't get the Total face mask to quit bouncing.

This problem is significant to me because my heart is pausing 3-4 seconds at a time, mainly when I sleep. Three separate cardiologists I've consulted won't consider a pacemaker until my apnea is controlled.
Post Reply Post Reply
Chin straps will not work if you are depending on them to keep your mouth closed and depending on a closed mouth to prevent mouth leaks. Your mouth can still leak even when closed. Your lips will not hold the pressure. You will need to practice and attempt to seal off your mouth using your tongue.

Holding the tongue against the roof of your mouth will seal your mouth off from your airway and prevent mouth leaks. There are 2 descriptions that I have heard for positioning the tongue. 1. Place your tongue against the roof of your mouth just behind your front teeth. 2. Place your tongue against the roof of your mouth and suck on your tongue. That will place your tongue in a good position to seal your mouth from the rest of your airway.

If you practice this tongue placement while awake then the function of the chin strap should be to help you to keep your mouth closed which makes the tongue seal easier. It will also remind you to keep the tongue seal during your sleep.

Some can do this and some can not. If you become able to do this you can look at other types of masks that are easier to make leak free, like a nasal mask or a nasal pilloes mask.

A couple of things that I have found with the Simplus mask. First, as much as most people who use the Simplus say that the upper straps should be loose and the forehead stabilizer should not be tight aginst the forehead, I find that I must tighten mine so the stabilizer is tight against my forehead in order to seal. Second, after I have I have masked up, equalized the tension on the straps, and turned the machine on, I gently pull the mask straight away from my face a little and then lower it back. This is to allow the air pressure to ensure that the seals are fully inflated all the way around.

The Remzz mask liners may help too if the leaks are waking you up because you can feel them. I had a full face mask that would leak right into my eyes. I could adjust the mask so that the leaks quit and one to two hours later the leaks would wake me up and I would have to readjust the mask again. This kept repeating all night long. I had to give up on this mask. I now have a Mirage Quattro full face mask that does not do that.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,209 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,755 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,423 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,832 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,529 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.