Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask dilemma.
Mask dilemma.
I have a deviated septum.  So all pillow nasal masks are out.  
 I do not like full face but even if I did I have this sore on the bridge of my nose I am trying to get to heal.  
 I love dreamwisp nasal and airfit n20 nasal.  Both hurting me at the moment.  
 I tried the dreamwear nasal and get lots of leaks. I ordered the arms for it so it doesn’t slide up in the back. 
 Any suggestions on nasal masks? I even tried amara view.  (Full face but under nose)
 I bought mole skin and silicone bunion protectors today.  Instructions say don’t put on skin that’s blistered or broken.  
 Any advice on a way to wear my favorite masks that are giving me a sore is appreciated.  Also advice on a under the nose mask.  I go to Lincare tomorrow to see if they can find a better mask.  
 Anyone like the n30i? Thank you Doug.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask dilemma.
Hi there, I have a deviated septum as well (I really cannot breathe out of my right nostril).   This is what I do, for what it's worth.  

I use a ResMed AirFit p10 nasal pillow.
I always wash my face to get rid of any salty residue under my nose (it's like sandpaper after 6-8 hours).
I apply a thin layer of Aquaphor under my nose right before I put my mask on.  

Hope this helps you on your quest.

Regards,

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
After trying many masks; the N30i is my favorite. The Dreamwear Nasal w/arms is a close 2nd. By the way; the arms will also work on the N30i.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2020, 12:47 PM)Dugy40 Wrote: I have a deviated septum.  So all pillow nasal masks are out.  

I can't disagree insofar as you may be able to use a pillow nasal mask; perhaps you have tried it and found that you couldn't. 

I caught the back of a fellow student's head squarely on my schnoz playing murder ball in Grade 11 just as I bent over him, and he arose forcefully having gotten his mitts on the heavy ball.  Years later, a kind military physician warned me that it would give me increasing concern as I aged, and that he would place a note in my medical file that I was to be accorded a rhinoplastic correction any time I decided I needed one.  Didn't happen before I retired.

Point is, despite my rather obviously deviated septum, I have no trouble using the N20 that I have used successfully from Night One.  There are several others, all in sizes, and one of those may be the answer for you.

One or more masks is 'hurting' you.  How...in what way, and where?  Is it painful upon waking, or does it cause arousals because it awakens you within 30-90 minutes of the onset of sleep?

Do any of the trialed masks leak substantially, and have you taken to cinching up the straps on the headgear to the extent that you are getting contact/compression lesions?

The masks and gear are supposed to be 'light' against the skin, not tight enough to prevent leaks if the mask is not otherwise suitable due to fit or to size.  Any fitting that causes sores is simply unsuitable.  You may have to trial another six or ten masks, and should not avoid that requirement.  It's a necessary, if daunting, process for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Google using the name of a mask plus the words MASK LINER. A liner might be what you need to protect the sore spot on the bridge of your nose.

Like others, I have a deviated septum (mild) and do just fine with nasal pillow masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's possible you previously tried a pillow mask with the wrong size pillows.

You should always choose a pillow size larger than what you are fitted for or you have been prescribed. The pillow should not be inserted too far into the nostrils, but just a small bit, more or less sitting outside the nose.

Also, as stated above, mask liners may help while wearing your nasal masks. Check out Supplier #31 and see if there is something there that could help.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2020, 04:46 PM)OpalRose Wrote: It's possible you previously tried a pillow mask with the wrong size pillows.  

You should always choose a pillow size larger than what you are fitted for or you have been prescribed.  The pillow should not be inserted too far into the nostrils, but just a small bit, more or less sitting outside the nose.  

Also, as stated above, mask liners may help while wearing your nasal masks.  Check out Supplier #31 and see if there is something there that could help.
I have a deviated septum.  A pillow won’t go in the left nostril at all.  It sets on top.   I try and not tighten it too tight but wake up in bad pain like I’ve been punched in the nose.  
 My other masks are soft silicone or whatever they’re made out of.  I don’t see how a liner would work on those.  It could if it were a full face with a semi hard edge.  The opening of my dreamwisp is bout the size of a quarter.  Just big enough for my nose.  I trued putting a cloth over it and it just collapses. I’ll try a larger pillow though.  I love the dreamwisp and airfit n20. Just don’t like the red mark. Actually three pores had puss in them. I gently got it out and used alcohol since neosporin isn’t working.  I’ll get past it.  I see Lincare at 10am.   I have the dreamwear nasal cushion.   Even it hurts my septum.   But.  Going to try it again tonight.   Thank you for helping.  It’s appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try some lanolin cream around your nose before putting mask on.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2020, 06:08 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Try some lanolin cream around your nose before putting mask on.

I’ll try that.  Thank you.  I have to wear one of my under nose masks till this heals.  It’s going to suck if I always have a problem with my favorite masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
There actually are mask liners for nasal masks. I also just came across something called the Boomerang Gel Pad. It goes across the bridge of your nose. Check it out at Supplier #1 (list linked at top of page). Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,207 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,747 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,093 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,423 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,830 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,528 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.