Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask fit 100% but high AHI?
Mask fit 100% but high AHI?
Hey there, I've been trying to find out why my AHI is always above 4 when I use my APAP machine.  Typically it's around the 4-8 range which I was told was not normal and was hoping to get some advice on what's happening here. In the following screenshot I had 100% mask fit according to my DreamMapper app but the AHI is pretty high at 6.52.  Unfortunately I don't have the option to add a 'Flow Rate' chart, I just got my SD card today and imported the results.  

This other screenshot is a more typical night where my mask fit is around 95% and the average AHI is even higher at 7.9. 

Is there anything anyone can spot that's wrong here? I'll try sleeping with my SD card in tonight so hopefully the Flow Rate will be imported too.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask fit 100% but high AHI?
Welcome to the Apnea Board.

Your settings are typical for initial settings. The trouble with that is they conflict with each other.
Min pressure of 4 is almost always too low, I'll guess something like 99.9% of the time. It is usually set that way because doctors think that since it is an automatic machine it will always find your optimum settings. That is not nearly correct. Once set to near what you need it will adjust for differences but it has to be somewhere near your single pressure CPAP setting. This is especially true for PR machines. (I am assuming your is not impacted by the recall) Yours is nowhere near 4. Also because you frequently having flow limits as evidenced by both your RERAs and FL events you need a higher Min Pressure.

Set your Min Pressure = 8 and then repost and we will see where you are at.
Post Reply Post Reply
Both have positional apnea, more on the 2nd night. Positional apnea is when you sleep in a position where you cut off your own airway. 

There are no settings to help with positional apnea. You have to find a way to stay out of that position. It is also called chin tucking where your chin drops down to your Sternum. 

Sometimes it is caused by sleeping on your back or to high of a pillow. If it can not be fixed that easily then you might need to get a collar. I have a link to collars in my signature. You can see people without using a collar and the same people with collars. Huge difference. 

You can see positional apnea where there are clusters of events of O or H events (not centrals).
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2022, 07:58 PM)Gideon Wrote: Welcome to the Apnea Board.

Your settings are typical for initial settings. The trouble with that is they conflict with each other.
Min pressure of 4 is almost always too low, I'll guess something like 99.9% of the time.  It is usually set that way because doctors think that since it is an automatic machine it will always find your optimum settings.  That is not nearly correct.  Once set to near what you need it will adjust for differences but it has to be somewhere near your single pressure CPAP setting.  This is especially true for PR machines.  (I am assuming your is not impacted by the recall) Yours is nowhere near 4.  Also because you frequently having flow limits as evidenced by both your RERAs and FL events you need a higher Min Pressure.

Set your Min Pressure = 8 and then repost and we will see where you are at.

Okay great to know, thanks! I just tested it, and at 8 pressure it feels like I need to put some effort into exhaling. Is this normal and something I just have to get used to?

(01-09-2022, 08:18 PM)staceyburke Wrote: Both have positional apnea, more on the 2nd night. Positional apnea is when you sleep in a position where you cut off your own airway. 

There are no settings to help with positional apnea. You have to find a way to stay out of that position. It is also called chin tucking where your chin drops down to your Sternum. 

Sometimes it is caused by sleeping on your back or to high of a pillow. If it can not be fixed that easily then you might need to get a collar. I have a link to collars in my signature. You can see people without using a collar and the same people with collars. Huge difference. 

You can see positional apnea where there are clusters of events of O or H events (not centrals).

Interesting, I'll definitely try a flatter pillow and look into a collar if it doesn't help. Thanks very much!
Post Reply Post Reply
You get used to the pressure after a while, yes. It looks like you have A-flex on which reduces the pressure a little as you exhale. You can do a test with a glass of water. Fill it with 3 inches of water, and then grab a straw. If you can blow bubbles easily out through that straw, then that's the pressure you're breathing against - only you have a much bigger airway than just a straw. It feels weird at first, but you get used to it in time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2022, 07:21 PM)dler4 Wrote: Unfortunately I don't have the option to add a 'Flow Rate' chart, I just got my SD card today and imported the results.  

The Respironics machines don't show a Flow Rate graph, (meant to say Flow Limitation), but it does give the Flow Limitation on the left sidebar statistics.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm pretty sure the flow rate chart only displays when you have full data, not just summary data. As opposed to flow limit chart which is Resmed Only.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just wanted to mention, regarding the title, don't assume that the ability to pass Mask Fit as a conclusion there won't be any Apnea events. Low mask leaks are important to proper treatment, yet other things like correct for you settings will influence therapy as well.

My experiences with mask fit has left me fit to be tied.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's an update after 2 more days of recording with a higher minimum pressure.  The first day I set the minimum pressure to 6 and the second to 7.5.  I also used 1 somewhat flat pillow for both nights.  It still seems to be in the range of my typical 4-8 AHI, though the 7.5 pressure is on the lower AHI end coincidentally or not.  Should I make any other adjustments?

Post Reply Post Reply
With Hypopnea being your highest event type, you should consider raising Min pressure to give your Philips Respironics more power to help. Even though this is an APAP, Respironics is notorious for being slow to respond. The fix for this is a higher min pressure.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 704 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 108 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,434 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 214 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 299 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.