Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask fit registers 0%
Mask fit registers 0%
New member here. I've been using my dreamstation for more than 5 years now and this is the first time I've encountered this problem. For a few months now I've been noticing that my mask fit percentage is declining. At first I thought that it was because of a leak in the tube or mask. So I bought new mask and tube. However the problem still persist. Checking the humidifier, no leaks noticed. Now my machine is registering mask fit 0%. I even tried connecting the tube directly to the cpap but no changes. Is it possible that the leak is inside the machine itself? Additionally if there is a leak in the machine shouldn't it be that the pressure also rises? 90% pressure shows that its in the minimum 5...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask fit registers 0%
You are using software that does not give information that really can be useful. Download OSCAR and post a night of graphs, I’m sure someone here can help determine if there is a problem.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for answering. attached are the overview and stat for the last 3 months

[attachment=30387][attachment=30388][attachment=30389]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
for last night graph...

Post Reply Post Reply
You do have a large leak rate but I think it is not the mask but positional apnea.  Positional apnea is when you cut off your own airway by the position you are sleeping. You can not help that with any pressure change. 

Many times it happens sleeping on your back or pillows to high any position where your chin goes down to your Sternum. We call it chin tucking. 

You MAY need a collar. Please look at the bottom of my post for a link to a collar. Many people here have had dramatic changes for the better. You can see charts without a collar and the same people with a collar 

The reason for the mask leak comes from the increase in pressure trying to clear the obstruction.

Hopefully it is as simple changing pillows.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Your trend for large leak is off the charts to 100% for this past month. I can only conclude your mask has aged or something has changed and it is no longer effective. When was the last time you replaced the mask or cushions? I really think you might do better with a full face. Your summary stats suggests the leak rate is near the large leak rate all the time. I disagree with the positional apnea theory. Your apnea is nearly all central, but your machine doesn't have any control of the airway with the leaks. With a pressure range of 5-12, the pressure never gets off of 5.0.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2021, 09:16 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your trend for large leak is off the charts to 100% for this past month. I can only conclude your mask has aged or something has changed and it is no longer effective. When was the last time you replaced the mask or cushions?  I really think you might do better with a full face. Your summary stats suggests the leak rate is near the large leak rate all the time.  I disagree with the positional apnea theory. Your apnea is nearly all central, but your machine doesn't have any control of the airway with the leaks. With a pressure range of 5-12, the pressure never gets off of 5.0.

The mask is only few months old. In fact I bought new mask and hose just because of the large leak rating thinking that those were the cause. But it the large leak rating is still there. I was wondering if there was indeed a leak, the pressure should compensate so it should have increased right? However as you noticed it never gets off 5.0 despite the max range of 12... Is it possible that the machine is already faulty? Is there a way to check if it is?
Post Reply Post Reply
Based on this chart, your excess leaks never get under 30 L/min. That is a large leak to start. If you work with a DME, I would take the whole rig in and ask them to check you out on it. There is a significant leak in the circuit or mask or in the firmware that is reporting a leak that doesn't exist. I don't see charts like this, where the leak rate never drops and otherwise looks pretty normal. Your respiratory flow rate still looks to be in good resolution, and that is unusual for leaks like this. I have a suspicion the problem may be the machine. The pressure will not rise with all those hypopnea being recorded with a large leak due to uncertainty created by the loss of control by the machine. Either because the machine is leaking at such a high rate or due to real events, there are almost no obstructive events being identified that would raise pressure. Pressure is not increased on a Philips due to leaks. We might be able to tell more with a zoom to 3 minutes where the flow rate wave is more easily examined, but I think you need to have this machine and peripherals completely checked out for proper function, it just looks like the leaks are not properly reported.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=30396]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
was there any change last night with change of sleep position?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,528 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,216 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,757 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,426 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,835 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,532 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.