Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask fit & sleepyhead graph
Mask fit & sleepyhead graph
Early this morning I had enormous trouble trying to get my nasal pillow mask to fit properly. It felt like my nostrils were partially blocked & I was unable to get sufficient air. Breathing out was ok, but breathing in was difficult, restricted. Chest felt tight & I had difficulty maintaining a steady breathing pattern. If I held the mask so that it was still sealing but very light on my face I could breathe ok, so I'm thinking it is a mask fit issue. Will try the next size up (M) pillow tonight. What is odd is that the mask size (S) has seemed ok for the past few nights, & this issue occurred after I had removed the mask due to minor 'rainout', & got up to go to the bathroom, replacing the mask when I got back to bed in the dark. I guess it is possible I may have put it on upside down but I don't think I did.

Would the circumstances I've described, with constant attempts to adjust the mask correlate with the attached Sleepyhead graphs, or is it possible that I have actually had a whole bunch of 'centrals' whilst awake/semi awake?  The graph doesn't show the entire night. AHI for the bulk of the night was 1.47, all brief centrals, no obstructives or hypops.

[attachment=3348]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask fit & sleepyhead graph
G'day Cuppa

It's a bit hard to tell from the screenshot you posted. Can you zoom in on the offending area and re-post?  The following links show how to organise the charts to provide the most relevant information:
For questions about your mask, maybe start here:  Mask Primer:    http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer

Hope this helps.
Paul
Post Reply Post Reply
Another post so I have enough posts to include a link.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is this any more helpful Paul? (I'll check out Imgur later when I have more time).
[Image: 33848856745_0d1c10bf2d_b.jpg]screenshot-20170405-142521
Post Reply Post Reply
Cuppa, you're about halfway there ... suggest you re-read the instructions on how to organize the chart. The data you posted doesn't include the charts the Apnea Board folks ask for to assess your situation.

-Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
The charts look fine to me. First of all, centrals can be "real" or they can also be what we call sleep-wake-junk. It's actually in our wiki. Disrupted sleep and irregular breathing can have the appearance of repeated central events, and if you're not sleeping, they don't count. A 2-hour session of disrupted sleep is not what we want to use to make any decisions. Notice that at the end of each "CA" you take a normal size breath. There is no recovery breathing suggesting you are not getting enough air. Recovery breaths are much taller (more amplitude) than normal breaths.

In future charts, it would help to re-order the graphs to show Events, Flow Rate, Pressure, Flow Limitation and Snores. Also turn off the pie chart by using the menu File/Preferences/Appearance, and uncheck the pie chart option on the right. Everything else is fine.

Nasal pillows almost always work better in a size larger than you think you need. If you are a male using size small, you NEED to up-size to at least the medium, and you could end up with the large. You will notice an immediate difference. Experiment and find what works best. Once you establish the seal with the larger pillow size, you will feel it is much easier to breath. I'm sure the right size will make it easier to relax and sleep.

Once you have some real undisturbed sleep with the machine, we can revisit the events and help you get optimized.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your replies folks. I'll endeavour to set up sleepyhead a bit better.
Last night I changed to a different size nasal pillow & had a good night.
Data showed all events as centrals. No other events. AHI 1.9

I know I was awake for some of them, & the pattern is the same as those when I was asleep. The comment about the patterns I showed was helpful, thanks Sleeprider, ie. no large gasping breath following the events.

I found another thread here where the poster reported filming himself whilst asleep & found all his centrals corresponded to him rolling over in bed. As, like him there were zero centrals reported in my sleep study, I'm inclined to think that they are most likely 'false centrals'.

Cuppa.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  erratic flow rate graph on ASV normal? jaredihnen 2 254 01-24-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: jaredihnen
  How to read the Snore Graph daz2264 0 287 12-30-2023, 03:42 PM
Last Post: daz2264
  Lost Red Pressure Graph Line ejbpesca 5 368 11-09-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Woke up feeling absolutely awful - OSCAR graph analysis really appreciated new2paphopeful 2 702 10-03-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  OSCAR Graph Question Events Flags/AHI Bob Cali 3 479 09-28-2023, 02:53 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  HELP needed for OSCAR graph analysis for first time user newbieusa 15 1,041 08-29-2023, 11:24 AM
Last Post: newbieusa
Information [CPAP] Graph data: Need help with interpretation tententen 3 581 06-15-2023, 09:00 PM
Last Post: tententen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.