Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask for a mouth breather with minimal strapping
RE: Mask for a mouth breather with minimal strapping
the Tap Pap looks VERY intriguing.   If there were only a way to siphon the air into the mouthpiece i don't know that I would have the problem of the open mouth aside from not being able to get air through my nose.    The more I look at these masks  the more I remember the couple nasal masks I tried that felt like they hit a blockage in my nose immediately.   But if they could make one that had some air through the nose & some through the mouth, that could work.  

I've been putting off replacing my mouth guard (the dentist wants $700+) of late.   I do see a few reviews that mention being mouth breathers.  Might have to give that a try.  At this point i have nothing to lose.
Post Reply Post Reply
What’s your pressure? Have you ever tried mouth taping?
Post Reply Post Reply
It's currently set at 9. Have not tried mouth taping. Have seen references to it. What does it entail. Hopefully not duct tape.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you try the Tap PAP, please let us know what you think of it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2019, 07:16 PM)pnfog Wrote: the Tap Pap looks VERY intriguing.   If there were only a way to siphon the air into the mouthpiece i don't know that I would have the problem of the open mouth aside from not being able to get air through my nose.    The more I look at these masks  the more I remember the couple nasal masks I tried that felt like they hit a blockage in my nose immediately.   But if they could make one that had some air through the nose & some through the mouth, that could work.  

I've been putting off replacing my mouth guard (the dentist wants $700+) of late.   I do see a few reviews that mention being mouth breathers.  Might have to give that a try.  At this point i have nothing to lose.

The first time I tried a ResMed AirFit F30 FFM, I was impressed that it allowed me to breathe thru my nose quite well. For me to be able to do that, is nothing short of amazing. 

And, I liked the fact that if my nose itched, I could scratch it. My nose seems to itch a lot at night. But, for whatever reason, the F30 began to leak air. I don't know if the pillows for it don't last as long, or it simply moves around on my face more easily.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2019, 07:18 PM)pnfog Wrote: I've been using the Airtouch F20 for over a year.   I've become accustomed to it and was increasingly & blessedly SLEEPING through the nights.   Have noticed over the summer that a headache that I thought I'd worked my way out of has been creeping up on me. It inflamed the back of my neck just at the base of my skull where the strap secures.   This isn't a matter of loosening the strap -- that simply creates leaks.  I'm becoming <even> more ornery than usual.  ...(raising the ramp & lowering the high pressure) made a very nice difference. 

...It's exacerbated by anything of weight (glasses/earrings/hearing aids etc.)

Has anyone dealt with anything like this?

OMG... I thought I was reading from my own diary. Pnfog, your notations are almost perfectly in-step with what I have been experiencing with the ResMed F20 FFM.

About a week ago, I bought the necessary replacement parts to put together a ResMed F30 - as Ragtopcircus suggested giving the F30 a try.  But, I found it much cheaper to buy a "replacement" cushion, frame and headgear rather than buy the whole assembly. I'm 100% out of pocket, so cost is a big concern. Fortunately, my F20 QuietAir elbow is the same as on the F30.

I'm closing in on posting a comprehensive review of the F30 soon. Maybe within the week or so, and I'll be comparing it to the F20. What I have learned of major importance is that the F30 has a much smaller footprint of the soft silicone seal (around just your mouth) as compared to the F30 or any standard FFM (around your mouth and nose). Maybe half the sealing area. And being as that is the case, the headgear tightness can be much less to get effectively the same seal or better. And my persistent headaches have almost completely been resolved over the last 3 or 4 days of using the F30.

The style of the F30 (under my nose) took one night to get used to.

A quick fitting note on the F30 headgear...
  • The top adjustment, I adjusted so that the lower straps would ride comfortably under my earlobes so as to place the converging back piece as high up as possible. I am trying to get that converging headgear spot off my soft neck (upper spine) and higher onto my skull. Not really there, but closer than the F20 headgear and much better feel overall.
  • The lower side adjustments should be just tight enough to keep the cushion from leaking. I was able to drop my max pressure 3cm to help here too. Results were amazingly good.
  • The upper side adjustments I kept pretty loose when statically put on, as when the mask "inflates", the nose seal puffs up and does its job very well in providing a leak-free seal.
I'll probably use the above text in my F30 review with a few refinements.

I've only been using the F30 for a few days and absolutely love it in so many ways.  I hope you can say the same in the near future and rid yourself of your headaches too.

All the best.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2019, 08:11 PM)pnfog Wrote: It's currently set at 9. Have not tried mouth taping. Have seen references to it. What does it entail. Hopefully not duct tape.

It involves tearing off a strip of suitable tape long enough to lie across both lips, and a bit beyond the 'corners' of the mouth.  The idea is to prevent the lips from opening and letting air rush out while you attempt to sleep...which doesn't happen because the rushing air wakes you up.  You never get proper rest!

There are others, but I use the 3M Corp's NexCare 2.5 cm wide white 'water resistant' cloth tape.  It is relatively easy to remove, but folding over a small tab on one end really helps to grasp it and pull it off.
Post Reply Post Reply
ragtopcircus, you asked for a review if I tried the tap pap.  

Well, I have and my am I surprised!  I ordered this as a sort of last ditch effort to get something that wouldn't increase the headache.   I never thought I could use a nasal mask but this one is a keeper.  I think there's something about the combination of having the nasal plugs fit directly into the nose and the mouthpiece that fits onto the teeth & sort of stabilizes it. I'm guessing it's a bit easier for those who wear a splint or other mouthpiece on a regular basis to get used to.  

But not only am I finding that the nasal obstructions I thought I had are not as severe, but I'm getting the lowest AHI numbers ever with this mask.  I ordered a chin strap but have not even taken it out of the package as yet.  The nasal masks I tried in the past fit under the nose but I could never get them to fit.   This is wonderful as far as cpap masks go.  No straps at all.  I do occasionally find that I have to move the hose a bit but that has been the case with every mask I've worn. I would recommend trying it next time you're "up" for a new mask trial.
Post Reply Post Reply
Awesome, thanks, and glad it is working out so well for you!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 110 04-17-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Hurdsy
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 111 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 11 811 04-02-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 634 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 199 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 363 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 663 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.