Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask replacement strategy
Mask replacement strategy
Curious to know how long folks go before replacing masks, hoses, headgear, and other parts. I've been using the original equipment for about 5 months now, and not really noticing any negatives (yet).

Since I have a high deductible insurance plan, replacement parts are on my dime -- so trying to figure out how long I can go before replacing stuff.

How often do you guys switch out masks?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask replacement strategy
I've got a mirage quattro, I got it on 2009. after reading the stuff here about how often people replaced things, I bought a spare cushion on ebay.

the spare cusion is still in it's package, waiting for the first one to wear out, rip, get too grody, get hard, something...

I have had to replace the little elbow that dangles off the front two or three times, the original designs had easily broken 'fingers', the last one I got a couple years ago had been redesigned and has been much more robust.

the little clicker thingy that adjusts the forehead support did break, maybe three years ago, but it was only the bit that kept the knob from freewheeling, so I stuck a bit of felt in there to give it tension, and haven't looked back.
Post Reply Post Reply
c0reDump, It's a very individual question and different depending on which country you live in and what insurance you have. In Aaustralia, nothing is covered by insurance so it is all out of our pockets. My first mask Mirage Quattro lasted two years withour changing anything and I the only reason I changed to the Quattro Air was becasue it was new on the market, I have been using that for a year now and it is still going strong. If insurance covers it, change it as often as they will let you, if you are paying yourself, use it as long as possible or if you notuce leaks getting higher :O
I havent changed my hose, tank etc since I got it and that was 3 years ago, I wash everything twice a week.
Post Reply Post Reply
My insurance pays for supplies 100% so I get to try different masks every 6 months. I am still looking for the perfect one. I do change back and forth if I have a stuffy nose or if a mask causes some irritation.
I like to keep a spare heated hose and a spare water chamber.
Once I get squared away I don't need to keep ordering and hoarding supplies.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2014, 07:37 PM)c0reDump Wrote: How often do you guys switch out masks?
Different strokes for different folks

I've been using Activa LT for some time, the frame does does not need replacing
Straps stretch over time, normally last a year
Cushions get replaced as soon as leak into my eyes, I can tolerate any leak except eyes leak ... its no no, normally within 3 months

The cuff on the ClimateLine, mask end wear out and get loose ... normally last a year

Filter ... replace each month

I like to trial other masks but money is in short supply at the moment Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I can get one paid 80% by insurance every 3 months (but not headgear -weird rule), so I ordered one right away the first time to be sure of having a spare and because the first P10 is a little stretched.

Due to various delays, the new one arrived about 4.5 months after the first -- the original is serviceable.

Probably won't bother with that every time.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
I recommend getting at least one spare of everything as soon as you can work it with insurance or your own pocketbook. You don't want to have to spend a night without CPAP if you don't have to. I like to clean my parts, dry them, and then set them aside for a week while I use my other mask parts. That way things dry out really well to prevent germ growth.

If your insurance isn't footing the bill, check out the online suppliers.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good points about having spares on hand, thanks for the tips!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,063 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,825 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 203 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,126 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 29 9,901 02-26-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Equipment] Replacement Cellular Modem DMAllen 18 5,796 02-25-2024, 05:36 AM
Last Post: Neo2020
  [Equipment] BiPAP Replacement Recommendation Prowler 1 264 01-28-2024, 09:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.