Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask for high pressure
Sad 
Mask for high pressure
My pressure is 28. I currently use nasal pillows. I have needed a new machine for a long time and I just received a brand new Resmed machine. With my pressure of 28, nasal pillows are working; too much leaking. Must be that old machine wasn't up to pressure.

Does anyone else with that high a pressure have a favorite mask that works well?

Thanks for any help
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask for high pressure
My Nuance can handle up to 20 but yeah, they wouldn't take the 28.

At that high a pressure, you may want to go total full face. The air flow will be spread out and equalized. Plus they get a decent seal, better than most full face masks.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
rras,
Is this the machine you have?

Noninvasive ventilation designed to treat COPD

NIV is increasingly used in treating patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Clinical studies show that NIV treatment can improve outcomes—leading to a better quality of life, helping slow the progression of the condition and managing it post-discharge.1-2 Specifically NIV has been shown to reduce recurrence of acute hypercapnic respiratory failure following an initial event by up to two-thirds in the first 30 days following the event.3

VPAP COPD helps overcome unique treatment challenges

Customized therapy settings make it easy to initiate therapy.
Integrated oxygen entrainment support provides oxygen and warmed, humidified air in one line to improve secretion management.
Configurable audio and visual alarms provide added security.
EasyCare Online monitoring is ideal for post-discharge patient follow-up.
Custom therapy settings optimized for COPD minimize hyperinflation and improve synchrony and comfort to increase compliance.

Support for pressures up to 30 cm H2O helps treat patients with overlap syndrome or those requiring higher EPAP pressure to overcome intrinsic PEEP.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2016, 06:41 PM)rras Wrote: My pressure is 28..

Hi rras,

Whatever mask you try, I suggest trying it with a mask liner, which goes between the face and the mask.

A liner will probably not stop all leaks, but the remaining leaks are softer and less bothersome.

With my present favorite (F&P SimPlus Full Face Mask) I use RemZzzs liners, which I am careful to not stretch out. One lasts me a week or longer.

My pressure normally varies between 21 and 25.

Good luck in finding something which works for you.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello rras,

I concur with vsheline's advice.

I've used the Simplus for a long time and am very happy with it. In pollen season I need pressures up to 25, so not quite your level but getting there.

I find that the Simplus does leak a bit at higher pressures but this can be helped by (like lots of users) using a mask liner but also (and I seem to be alone with this) I use a size larger than necessary and wear it with my chin tucked *inside* the mask. That, for me, stops the mask slipping sideways with movement and high pressures and I find it very comfortable. My 95% leaks are very seldom more than 2.4.

Hope you find a mask that suits you - there will be one!
..................................................................................................
All my opinions are only as an xPAP user trying to help another xPAP user.
No suggestions I may make should be taken as professional advice.
If you have medical concerns please consult a doctor

My current pressures: Auto-ASV. EPAP 10-12. PS 3-10
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much. I will ask about the Simplus when I see my respiratory therapist this morning.
Thanks so much. I will take this information to my respiratory therapist this morning. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi rras,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with finding a mask and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Sad 
Well, let's say last night was not a success.
I saw my respiratory therapist. I really liked him. Gave me some pointers for adjusting masks etc. Ended up with a Quattro mask; tried that one and the Simplus. Had much better fit with the Quattro which Chris said was made for high pressure. No leaks in office; very comfortable; of course that was for a few minutes.
So being ever so hopeful of a great night's sleep, went to bed at midnight, was still awake at 2:30pm after trying to go to sleep on my back with no leaking, but that didn't work. I tried to sleep on my side, which is usually an instantaneous process, but at 4:30am I said screw it and went to the living room to sleep upright without machine in my comfy a** recliner. Probably got 3 hours' sleep
So today I am a grouchy, sleepy, apnea-brained individual; I've had about 9 hours sleep in 2 nights when I usually get 8 hours a night and 9 on Friday's and Saturday.
I find a feel extremely warm with a full face mask; no matter the temperature in the room.
Tonight I am going to try to arrange pillows so I am semi-reclined and on my back to see if that works. We'll see.
THANKS for the encouragement and responses. Appreciated.

Post Reply Post Reply
When I lay on my back with the Simplus my lower jaw tends to sag and produce a leak.

One thing I have heard of that might help you is to fill the humidifier with ice and turn the heater off. That way you get a cool stream of air on your face.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a Resmed S9.
I'll have to try the ice idea. We'll see how tonight goes. Hoping major propping up will help; the mask doesn't leak in that position. Now if only i can fall asleep in that position.Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 710 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 109 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 121 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,435 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 527 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 218 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.