Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask for side sleeper mouth breather
RE: Mask for side sleeper mouth breather
(04-10-2021, 02:20 PM)BobbieM Wrote: Have you always used this type of mask with the tube at the top? 

No, I started with the F20 full face mask but soon switched to the P10 pillows mask. After using that for a while, I switched to the N20 nasal mask, which I liked very much. But when the N30i came out with the hose a the top and the pillow-type cushion, I found my favorite. 

I like that it has very little contact with my face since I have a full beard. I have very little leak issues with this mask, although I spend 90% of the time on my back.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
I like my Fisher and Paykel Vitera and Simplus masks. Both are full faced versions with RollFit, a slight bellows built-in on the silicone seal. Either works for me when I transition to back or side sleeping without much leaks. I think Vitera is more comfortable. I think F&P have nasal or pillows as well, so maybe take a look.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll contribute to this thread as I've been doing the mask dance for the past two to three months.

I started with the N20 mask and I am a serious mouth breather.  In the past two months I've tried all types of tape, with the most effective being the Fleximull stretchable tape.  I have now found that I need to use two types at the same time.  The Somnifix tape and Fleximull.
That reduces...not fully eliminates my mouth breathing..or actually my release of a pressure seal with my facial cavity.

That said, I switched first to a P30i.  That was comfortable, but I got leaks.  I didn't really sleep on my side with it, as I'm not usually prone to doing that.
I then tried the Fischer & Paykal Simplus....I could not get that mask to work, even using the mask fitting tips from Sarcastic Dave.  

I went back to my N20, but I still wasn't satisfied, as I really liked that P30i with the hose on top and when and if I slept on my side was comfortable.

I then tried the N30i.  That works pretty well but I still had some leaks...although better in numbers.   Sleeping on my sides still gave me a slight leak, and I would have to adjust.  

I'm now using the P30i and I believe I have found the perfect mask.  Last night I slept with this mask AND a CPAP pillow that I purchased a few years ago.  This is the link to the pillow:[Commercial Link Removed] Search Amazon for, "EnduriMed CPAP Pillow".

I got a great night's sleep last night...but please keep in mind this is one night. 

I also sleep with a Cervical Collar.

Nevertheless, I found that I sleep pretty comfortably on my side last night, and actually preferred to be in that position rather than supine as I'm prone to do.

Noise from the mask isn't really evident, but there's a caveat here in my case.  I live next to the highway and I use white noise to block that out, so that would mask any other sound.

Hopefully this helps.

-----
Moderator Action: Commercial Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
That’s very helpful. Would you mind posting in about a week to tell us how it went?
Post Reply Post Reply
Will do.
Post Reply Post Reply
After a week of using the nasal pillows, P30i, I'm impressed. I've had some great night's sleep, but a couple of day's ago I had a slight chafing spot in one nostril, so I went back to the N30i.
Ordered some Lanolin as recommended by this forum and will get the chaffing skin healed and back to the P30i.
As long as I tape my mouth correctly, I'm very happy with the results.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’d highly recommend the Fisher & Paykel Brevida for a side sleeper - great seal (I have a full beard as well) - no chaffing in the nostrils. Very soft feeling.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 5 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 371 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 315 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 409 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 439 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.