Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask for those with beards
Mask for those with beards
I have a full but closely cropped beard and use the pillows mask on an AirSense 10 CPAP. My problem is with opening my mouth..I have tried a chin strap, it helped but did not eliminate mouth breathing. Has anyone with a beard had success with a full face mask, no leaking, etc.? If so, which one?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask for those with beards
Simplus. Or a Fitlife.
Youll like Simplus better. Fitlife is a total face mask
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Bob Difley,
WELCOME! too the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your question.
Good luck to you in finding a mask that will work for you and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome!

Maybe your leaks are minor, this is where learning about the software would tell you how your mask trials are going and maybe pinpoint the mouth breathing periods.

'Sleepyhead' software is free and learning how to use it usually happens in short order with a little reading in the links at the top.
Post Reply Post Reply
Simplus and now Amara View. Full beard cut close (most of the time). Once properly placed no leaks noticed by me or the machine. Do NOT over tighten FFM's or they WILL leak.
Post Reply Post Reply
I HAD a giatee until the other day where i shaved it off as i was trying a ff mask. That was a dismal failure. Im on nasal pillows and gonna train myself to sleep with my mouth closed.

Wife looked at me and told me i looked younger without it. I guess it was worth it after all lol!
Post Reply Post Reply
I fell in love with nasal pillows from day 1; thus my full beard was never an issue. I did experiment with chin straps until I was able to learn how to sleep with my mouth shut (which only occurred after I had surgery to ream the polyps out of my nasal passages). If you are normally a mouth breather, check with an ENT doc to find out why.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all for your replies. Very useful information. Now evaluating the masks mentioned and will likely try one.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a full beard and have really good results with the ResMed Mirage Activa LT. Used it for more than 5 years, sleep on my side, leak rate is minimal. I had less luck with the N10 I've tried since.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bob Difley,

I have a beard and use 2 ffms. I use the Mirage Quattro and the Simplus. I get the best leakage results (a fair number of nights where my 95% leakage rate equals 0) with the Mirage Quattro. I think that the Simplus is the simplest and it is easier on my face.

Just my my $0.02.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,531 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,219 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,758 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,428 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,838 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,534 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.