Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask frustrations.
Mask frustrations.
I'm really frustrated and I'm pretty sure that the DME company I'm using has given up on me. I called earlier this week to let the respiratory therapist know that the most recent mask wasn't working for me and I half-jokingly said that I was afraid I was going to run out of masks to try. I was expect the respiratory therapist to say something along the lines of "oh no, don't worry, we'll figure it out" but instead she agreed me. Then she said she'd mail me a gel cushion through regular mail and that it'd take several days to get to me (she specifically said this). I have no idea what I am supposed to do while waiting.

The problem I'm having is that the masks are creating pressure sores on my nose. I've tried the Swift FX Nano, two sizes of the Mirage FX, and the Mirage Quattro. I tried another mask too but I don't remember what it was called. The Swift FX Nano caused one on the underside of my nose (the septum) whereas the other masks cause one on the bridge of my nose. I'm trying to keep an open mind about this gel pad I'm supposed to be getting but it seems to me that sticking something between my nose and the mask is just going to create even more pressure.

The part of the mask that is causing the problem is the soft, thin plastic that inflates to make the cushion/seal when the cpap is turned on. I thought, at first, that it was either the rubbery plastic that makes up the mask or the rigid plastic "frame" that supports the mask but careful examination with mirror ruled that out.

By this point, I'm guessing that you are thinking I've got the mask on too tight. I really do not think this is the case. All of my masks were fitted by the respiratory therapist and have not been adjusted. When the cpap is off, I can slide my hands underneath the mask straps and rest them against my face without pulling the mask tighter (I might be able to do it with the cpap on, but I've never tried). I do not have strap or mask marks on my face except for the bridge of the nose.

Any advice on how to prevent these sore, what masks might be helpful, and how to deal with the DME company is appreciated. I am having a major surgery on Jan. 2nd and I really, really have to get all of this sorted out by then. I'm also having problems with the cpap, but that's a whole other story.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask frustrations.
The first thing I think of is the RT fitted you incorrectly, especially since she is being oh so very supportive. Have you checked the manufacturer site to see if they have any videos? Or checked YouTube?

The second thing is some sort of allergy or skin irritation. But if it is happening at only one place no matter what mask you put on (unless they are all touching the same places on your face), then that can't be it.

Which brings up the third thing. That there's something else going on and the mask placement is aggravating it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed masks fitting guides http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA23652FAF5627F3F

Maybe she means Gecko nasal pads
http://www.resmed.com/us/products/gecko_...nc=dealers

You can make own mask liners or buy ready made ones, pad a cheek liners are washable and reusable

Have you tried nasal pillows or you,re same as me, don,t like them

I've been using Activa LT for some time, but you might hate it as much as I like it Smile

I hope you get sorted out before the surgery, make sure letting everyone knows about your sleep apnea from doctors, nurses especially the anesthesiologist, the most important during the surgery and recovery
Post Reply Post Reply
It's the second thing...

The sore spot on the bridge of my nose was caused by the Mirage FX (two sizes) and the Mirage Quattro. They all press on the bridge of my nose in the exact same place. I pointed this out to the RT when she gave me the Quattro but she just kept going (as in, filling out the paperwork and moving me along).

The sore spot on the septum of my nose is from the Swift FX Nano. I think the problem with this mask is that it is just too small. There's nothing to counteract the upward pull of the top-of-the-head strap and it ends up pulling against the bottom of my nose.

Regarding the third thing, the mask is definitely causing the problem but I believe my glasses may be worsening it. I called every optometrist in a 20 mile radius yesterday and managed to find one who was able to fit me in this afternoon. I know new glasses aren't going to fix the problem, but they should at least help.

Is it possible to mix brands w/ cpaps and masks? Maybe the DME company only has ResMed masks?

The RT has said on more than one occasion that they only do two exchanges per mask but she also said that didn't apply to me since I'm unable to use the masks (as opposed to not liking it or preferring another style). Maybe she's changed her mind...

Thanks for your input.

(12-07-2013, 12:07 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The first thing I think of is the RT fitted you incorrectly, especially since she is being oh so very supportive. Have you checked the manufacturer site to see if they have any videos? Or checked YouTube?

The second thing is some sort of allergy or skin irritation. But if it is happening at only one place no matter what mask you put on (unless they are all touching the same places on your face), then that can't be it.

Which brings up the third thing. That there's something else going on and the mask placement is aggravating it.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like your mask is too small and strap tightness is still an issue. When I put my mask on, it will leak until I pull it out and reseat it on my face. Too small of a mask will not allow enough room between the top of the nose and under the nose. I sometimes have a red spot on the top of my nose but that is usually because of the position I was sleeping in and not my mask. I used the Mirage mask for a long time and switched to the True Blue about a year ago. Lightyears difference in the performance. It allows much more movment without leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like we posted at the same time. Check the True Blue. It has a "spring" that allows the mask to float on your nose seperate from the framework of the mask
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-07-2013, 01:22 AM)sir_sleeps_alot Wrote: Is it possible to mix brands w/ cpaps and masks? Maybe the DME company only has ResMed

Yes, you can mix & match masks and machines. The mask is effectively "passive" - there are no electrical connections or anything like that, and the attachment is a standard size. Make sure you set the type of mask ( ie full face, nasal etc) on your machine as it uses this information to measure leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will definitely second the mask liner recommendations. Padacheek got rid of the sores on my nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeps A lot, you are using the Nano. Have you tired the Swift non-nano, the nasal pillow one? My DME gave me both and I had lots of trouble with the Nano, but I love my Swift nasal pillow.

I agree with the others, i'm not sure you were fitted properly in the beginning. It should barely rest on your nose and the air pressure should push the mask or pillows to seal. Like you , I have tried almost everything and failed. Now that I am able to keep my mouth closed, the nasal pillows are absolutely wonderful.

Only problem I have is if I roll on my side, I get a bit of leakage but I can usually wiggle the mask to reseal and drift right back to sleep. You can use the nasal pillow with the same head gear you now have with the Nano.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  chipmunk cheeks /other frustrations martyedb 4 1,170 10-23-2022, 07:53 PM
Last Post: OldYamaha
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,209 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,755 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,423 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,832 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.