Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask hacks that worked for me
Mask hacks that worked for me
I have been trying different face masks, as I get too many mouth leaks/dry mouth with the Dreamwear.  I tried the Phillips chin strap and it was a mess...but I have another (Halo chin strap) on order to give it another try.

I was using the Amara View mask and I loved it...but the headgear was really too big & gave me both a headache & sore neck.  

I ordered the Quattro FX for Her and the small mask seemed to be ok....but the regular/medium headgear was too large for me!  I discovered that a small headgear was available & ordered it.  

In the meantime, something nudged me to try the regular Quattro FX headgear with my Amara View mask and VOILA!!!  Perfection!  Lowest AHI yet..actually had a couple of 1's and 2's.  It takes a night or two with any change to adapt, but finally I feel I'm making some progress.  

Hubby is trying the Amara View, too, and the headgear just doesn't fit right for him, either.  So I've ordered him a large Quattro FX headgear...fingers crossed it will work for him.  I also ordered a somewhat "generic" Phillips Duluxe headgear that Supplier #1 suggested might work...and it doesn't have the headstrap that gives us both a headache.    

This board has been so helpful to me, and I just wanted to share this in case others might benefit from trying different parts to get the right fit.  

It's a lot of work to get the right fit,  but I know it's worth it.  I feel an improvement, even though I'm not yet below an AHI of 5 consistently.  I'll get there.  Just wish my local DME was helpful.  They're worthless and I only went with them because my sleep doctor said they were sooo good.  I see her again in 2 weeks and will have an earful for her.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: Mask hacks that worked for me
Post Reply Post Reply
If it works........................Cool   Cool
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I too tried the Dreamwear and it was not for me.  Mostly a side/stomach sleeper.  Didn't want to go full face mask so I tried nasal pillows as suggested by my dmp.  Wow...Swift FX was the answer I was looking for.  Great flow, yet minimal face coverage.  I consistently have an AHI below 1 now (was 37-40 untreated).  Have your hubby try it!
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
because I can't keep my mouth closed at night (leak like a whale all night), I switched to an amara view, and I am getting much lower ahis.

Only issues is I need to shave every night and that kind of annoys me because I prefer the look of the stubble, oh well... sleep first.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jaw2004,
Thanks for sharing your mask hacks; great information.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Will add it to the list!
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anybody have LPR (or LPRD)? What worked for you to sleep better at night? CorruptAlligator 4 133 07-19-2021, 12:51 AM
Last Post: Geer1
  Nasal Pillows vs Nasal Masks, which worked best for you? CorruptAlligator 24 809 07-16-2021, 04:29 PM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
  drool hacks? ewags 2 442 02-25-2020, 02:17 PM
Last Post: ewags
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 3,508 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 2,436 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019
  mask primer fitting instructions worked Haley 2 1,185 02-26-2019, 04:49 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] CPAP never worked g12196 12 2,268 10-09-2017, 01:24 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.