Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask is Annoying!
Mask is Annoying!
Hello everyone, I started APAP in November, with a F&P nasal mask. Everything should work, but the mask silicone is driving me nuts!

After wearing it for awhile, wherever the silicon sits my skin gets sticky and clammy. Periodically I pull the mask away so the fresh breeze from the respirator cools and dries my face, and then let it go back in place.

I am trying making little cloth covers for the mask as a barrier so my skin can breathe better. Some success, but they slip a bit.

Anyone else have this problem with the silicone?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask is Annoying!
It is not uncommon. Try switching to nasal pillows like the Nuance or the P10 which have minimal contact. As long as you do not have a rash or itching, it isn't an allergy, just a heat reaction.

There's also a product called Remzz liners that are made of cloth and do what you are trying to do homemade.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi trailrider,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I haven't had that problem, but you might try switching to nasal pillows and see if that helps you.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
trailrider,
You have been using this mask since November, right? Maby it's time for a change.
Try a Nasal Pillow mask. It is much more comfortable, and less silicone touching your face.
Having a mask that bothers you that much is going to affect your sleep.
Sleep-on-pillow
If you don't want to change masks, look into liners as Paula suggested.
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I may go for the liners. I toss and turn alot, stomach and side sleep, which is why the DME recommended a mask vice pillows. But I am reading up on the forum for others experiences on that.

For info, my AHIs dropped from 36 at the study to 0.7-ish now, so I'm on the right track. Sheepishly, I am realizing how frequently my 10pm bedtime turns into a 12am one (darn books). I guess you actually have to be asleep to get rested!

Thanks all for the welcome.
Post Reply Post Reply
Whatever your DME told you about nasal pillows is simply wrong. They are the most comfortable and easy to seal option. The profile is lower, so they enable sleeping on your side, and the newest version Airfit P10 has a diffuser that does not blow air on you or your partner, making it very quiet. If you can tolerate nasal therapy, ditch the mask.

Your therapy is going great! Now get comfortable.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Who was it here who has the siggy "If it's midnight and the DME says it is dark outside, check?"

I had a problem with my insurer and had to resend the prescription. Sure enough, looking at it the top number was a 15 not a 12 as set by DME. I am so glad to not have to be reliant on them for settings.

Post Reply Post Reply
Glad you fixed that number issue! ALways good to double check anything DME says.

Re nasal pillows, I use p10, I sleep on stomach and side exclusively (no back sleeping, hate it) I move a fair amount, turn face from side to side, I perch face off side of tempurpedic pillow and am quite comfy.

I would love to know why these DME's set up so many folk from the get go with Full Face Masks? Is it old stock? Do they assume old dogs cannot learn new tricks, like sleeping with mouth shut etc?

Hope you find a solution that works for you, Trail.

The Manse Hen
Post Reply Post Reply
Pft, nasal pillows are lower profile and take up less space on the face. They're much better for side sleepers and even stomach sleepers. Nasal masks have so much sticking out. Side sleeping is, of course, quite possible but not if the user is an active sleeper.

On the flip side, nasal pillows are getting so lightweight now, they are getting much easier to dislodge. More care has to be taken to keep the weight of the hose off or it pulls the mask off.

Still, pillows are much better for an active sleeper than a nasal mask. If nothing else, if the straps have to be tightened down, there's less pain!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2015, 02:35 PM)trailrider Wrote: Who was it here who has the siggy "If it's midnight and the DME says it is dark outside, check?"

I had a problem with my insurer and had to resend the prescription. Sure enough, looking at it the top number was a 15 not a 12 as set by DME. I am so glad to not have to be reliant on them for settings.

That quote would be Archangle. Might be time to change yours to "if you want something done right, do it yourself" Cool
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,209 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,755 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Mask similar to Dreamwear Nasal without the annoying air jet? StaphAttack 8 1,042 07-17-2021, 06:12 PM
Last Post: factor
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,423 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,832 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.