Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tender teeth
RE: Tender teeth
I am no dentist nor any kind of medical professional.
However my teeth grow out of the jawbone - sorrounded and supported by the gum! - no gum no stable teeth - the actual bone does very little in holding the teeth in place (except for maybe down- or upwards). (otherwise getting teeth pulled out would be kind of ... well .. you know all the bleeding and stuff? my bones do not bleed - my gums however does that^^)
Somehow the evolution came to the conclusion that relatively stable teeth are better than actually fully integrate them into the bonestructures. (you can actually see the sorrounding gums on any modell about teeth - even in the x-rays - or better an MRT - but who would do that?)

I was not talking about mouth breathing (although that is a shortcut to really bad mouth problems - and I know what I'm speaking about as I am a mouth-breather) - I was talking about leaks through the mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2017, 07:56 AM)TBMx Wrote: I am no dentist nor any kind of medical professional.
However my teeth grow out of the jawbone - sorrounded and supported by the gum! - no gum no stable teeth - the actual bone does very little in holding the teeth in place (except for maybe down- or upwards). (otherwise getting teeth pulled out would be kind of ... well .. you know all the bleeding and stuff? my bones do not bleed - my gums however does that^^)
Somehow the evolution came to the conclusion that relatively stable teeth are better than actually fully integrate them into the bonestructures. (you can actually see the sorrounding gums on any modell about teeth - even in the x-rays - or better an MRT - but who would do that?)

I was not talking about mouth breathing (although that is a shortcut to really bad mouth problems - and I know what I'm speaking about as I am a mouth-breather) - I was talking about leaks through the mouth.

I find it funny that you state that you are not a dentist or any kind of medical professional, and then you give random false information that come from nowhere as if they were facts.
Well, I am a dentist and here are the facts...

Bone supports teeth.

"sorrounded and supported by the gum! " no
"no gum no stable teeth" Well, not exactly.... as bone resorbs, gums follow bone and also often resorb. When you can see gum recessions, it's because there is bone loss under it, you just don't usually see your jaw bone so you only notice gum, and figure out that you "loose gums until you loose teeth"....
" the actual bone does very little in holding the teeth in place (except for maybe down- or upwards)." Well sorry it does most of it.
"(otherwise getting teeth pulled out would be kind of ... well .. you know all the bleeding and stuff?" No, I don't get what you mean.  (But I have pulled over 5000 teeth so I kind of have a clue what it's like....) And I have drilled and cut tons of jaw bones and gums and everything.
"my bones do not bleed - my gums however does that^^)" Then you are a zombie, because on human beings, bone bleeds.

"Somehow the evolution came to the conclusion that relatively stable teeth are better than actually fully integrate them into the bonestructures. (you can actually see the sorrounding gums on any modell about teeth - even in the x-rays - or better an MRT - but who would do that?)" That one is really hard for me to understand. Do you mean that teeth roots are surrounded by a periodontal ligament, that somewhat anchors the root to the bone? Yes, it's the case. (but it's not "gums", it's a ligament). And while it actually kind of holds the tooth in place against upward forces, bone actually does most of the support anyway. Teeth cannot be fully integrated into bone (or they would be bone). They "grow" and "erupt" in bone. They can't be bone, or be fused to bone.... 

Oh well. I can argue about teeth all day (and I do every day...). Let's keep it cpap I guess.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tooth, Gums, Bone.  Dentist.    Nervous
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
We offer nitrous for anxious patients Wink Just kidding.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks

thanks for correcting me - also in regards of bones bleeding - I really believed that the amount of blood in the bones was minor.

I guess that one really got lost in translation. If "ligament" translates to "Zahnhaut / Sharpey Fasern" than we are talking about the same. I meant the tissue around the root of the bone which redirects the force woking on the tooth to the preferred direction of force for bones.

But to come back to the topic: so as a dentist you would say, that extended times of dry mouth (due to leaks or otherwise) are no problem at all for the gums / tissue and the teeth?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-10-2017, 12:41 AM)TBMx Wrote: Thanks

thanks for correcting me - also in regards of bones bleeding - I really believed that the amount of blood in the bones was minor.

I guess that one really got lost in translation. If "ligament" translates to "Zahnhaut / Sharpey Fasern" than we are talking about the same. I meant the tissue around the root of the bone which redirects the force woking on the tooth to the preferred direction of force for bones.

But to come back to the topic: so as a dentist you would say, that extended times of dry mouth (due to leaks or otherwise) are no problem at all for the gums / tissue and the teeth?

Yes, translation issues, you are german and I speak french. Doesn't help.

Well, "normal" dry mouth caused by mouth breathing, or a cpap, in a healthy mouth, has no severe long term detrimental effect on teeth or gums. I have been a mouth breather for life, and always wake up with dry mouth, and keep a glass of water next to my bed, and I have no teeth or gum issues at all. It's uncomftable, it can cause some slight gingivitis, but with everything else being healthy, it won't cause damage by itself.

Now, in some specific cases, dry mouth makes preexisting conditions worse.

If you are at risk for caries, and have plaque on your teeth, dry mouth will make it worse.
If you have periodontal disease and gum breakdown, dry mouth will probably make it worse also.

In those cases, I suggest taking care of everything else to make sure that you have a healthy mouth and teeth, and then there is not much you can do about dry mouth anyway other than trying to breathe through your nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just an update.  I  visited the dentist and had new mouthguards made.  Now I have an upper night guard and for the lower teeth a very thin one.  I  used them for the first time Iast night.  The fit is very good.  Much better than my old one.  However, a very expensive solution.   Grin
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
how much did it cost?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2017, 10:53 PM)Kryogen Wrote: how much did it cost?

ODA for two night guards and two office visits.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  clenching teeth, biting tongue JenniferJuniper 13 248 04-15-2024, 09:46 AM
Last Post: JenniferJuniper
  Front Teeth is hurting in morning. kdpatel 3 714 03-05-2023, 11:00 AM
Last Post: TexasDon
  Cpap - Teeth Grinding dapal 3 816 10-03-2022, 11:15 AM
Last Post: KeepSmiling
  Teeth/gums feel weird in the AM HockeyGoon 7 1,159 09-24-2021, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Kuutar
  Teeth Grinding and Sleep Apnea hookedonstitch 19 2,047 09-04-2021, 03:30 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  Does a retainer prevent teeth from shifting during cpap use? Michaely6 2 1,780 08-22-2021, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Michaely6
  PAIN AND TEETH Knitman 0 710 02-01-2021, 10:40 AM
Last Post: Knitman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.