Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask leak but good AHI
Mask leak but good AHI
Hi, new here. Details: 1st sleep study and prescribed Dreamstation and large size Amera full face mask. When DOC got my disk and saw results ordered another study.
Then home care company changed pressure to (I don't know what) but after ramp up, I feel more air pressure. Now, I only get a 30% mask fit, leaking, I'm a side sleeper and mouth breather. My AHI is now always below 5. Before it was very high but with good mask fit.
Question: should I care about mask leak as long as AHI is good? Or, does leaking mask make AHI results inaccurate.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask leak but good AHI
I just raised my pressure and my leaks went away. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. Unfortunately, when machine blows more air now I get indication of poor mask fit. But, under 5 AHI.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, chronic, high leaks will make your AHI inaccurate. You will need to get leaks under control, which can be challenging and may even require a different mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the reply and information. I'll try again to adjust mask myself. My Homecare/insurance company on Medicare advantage program said I need to wait until the end of July for them to inspect fit of mask for me. I have a call into my Pulminologist to ask for an override and get fitted by a professional at Homecare company.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your machine can tolerate leaks up to a certain level (24 L/min on Resmed machines) but I don't know what the value would be on your Dreamstation. Above the limit, the machine will struggle to provide the correct pressure consistently, and the detection of apneas and hypopneas is suspect. There is a setting for mask type on your machine - check that to ensure it's appropriate for the type of mask you're using. Again, I apologise for my lack of knowledge about the details of the Respironics machines.

Frequent leaks below the threshold won't bother the machine too much, but can disturb your sleep and that of your partner.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 11 1 hour ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 234 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 68 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 199 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 140 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 149 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.