Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask leaking/mouth breathing ???
Mask leaking/mouth breathing ???
Hello all, new here.  First, the back story.  Home sleep study with AHI of 25.  DME game me a Airsense 10 Auto with a N30 mask.  Not knowing any better, that is what I have been using.  I adapted pretty quickly to it and I really like the machine but a couple things that I have noticed.  At first, I couldn't sleep more than 4 hours in a row, now it is 5-7.  After the 5-7 if I try to go back to sleep, it is bad sleep.  I feel terrible after an hour or two more.  However, recently for the heck of it, I decided to try a different mask (long story) so I thought I would try the popular P10.  I have mixed feelings about it.  It was louder than my N30, it hurt my nose and sometimes I felt like I couldn't exhale correctly.  After feeling this way and doing a little research on the P10, I decided not to use it.  So I continued on with the N30.  This is the back story.

Recently (maybe the last month or so), it appears when I awake (after the 5 to 7 hours) and sometimes after the additional (1 to 2) hours, my mouth feels very dry and sore and I need to have a drink of water and everything seems fine.  I'm starting to think at some point I might be mouth breathing.  So I started researching this and bought mouth tape (since it seemed like chin straps were inconclusive - plus I really don't want to wear another think around my head).  However, I haven't tried the mouth tape.  I'm little nervous about doing so.  I was also wondering if my leaks are too high or a possible indication of mouth breathing.  Attached is an oscar report.  Please let me know your thoughts on the leaks and possible mouth breathing or anything else you notice or recommend.  Thanks is advance.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask leaking/mouth breathing ???
You are having some significant leaks at times, but most of them are moderate.  The indication in the data at left says you have some large leaks. That one spike in your chart would qualify.  Otherwise, you are quite possibly leaking through 'leaky' lips that separate.

I can't tell you to tape, but I have done so since Night #2. It seems unnatural, and I won't say I have never sat bolt upright and clawed at my mouth to rid it of the tape when I realized I couldn't breathe through my nose.  This has happened twice in three-plus years.  My nose sometimes gets so stuffy just prior to morning waking that I can't breathe.  But I get a sound night's sleep all the rest of the night reliably, tape snugly in place.

Because of those two experiences, which are fleeting and last three or four seconds at most, I have the practice of folding over the last 12-15mm at one end to form a small tab.  I can easily grasp this and tear away the tape if I have to do so quickly.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply. Not sure how, but I actually caught myself early this morning with my lips partially open letting air escape. I will get the courage and try the mouth tape I bought.
Post Reply Post Reply
In case you are not aware, allow an extra length of tape on one end for folding over itself to create a pull-tab to aid in its removal.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks.  Yeah, I caught that.  I actually bought some X strips.  So I will try those first.  Was going to use those expensive ones but well they just seemed too expensive.  I was even more scared to use the medical tape.  If mouth taping works then I probably will just by medical tape next time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some here use a tape called Somnifix, if I have that correctly recalled, but I use 3M Nexcare white 'water resistant' tape.  It comes in a large white plastic spool with pot-type cover.  It tears moderately easily, depending on one's hand strength and finger joint condition.  The Nexcare should be at most/all drug stores near you, and larger box stores that have pharmacies.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2021, 05:48 PM)mesenteria Wrote: Some here use a tape called Somnifix, if I have that correctly recalled, but I use 3M Nexcare white 'water resistant' tape.  It comes in a large white plastic spool with pot-type cover.  It tears moderately easily, depending on one's hand strength and finger joint condition.  The Nexcare should be at most/all drug stores near you, and larger box stores that have pharmacies.

Thanks for the info.  Yeah, the somnifix was the one I was referring to that was way too expensive (in my opinion).
Post Reply Post Reply
For proof-of-concept, why not try the paper tape? You can use it on boo-boos later. Big Grin
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's a graph from (2) nights ago, didn't get a chance to grab last nights yet.  This was the first night of using mouth tape.

This is probably the best graph I have seen for myself from when I went to sleep ~ 10pm until ~2:30am.  Then it was a train wreck after.  I have no idea what happened but the graph looks a mess.  Any comments?  Evidently, I must have been struggling with my mask as I think the tape held fine and didn't wake up with a dry mouth/soar throat.  I know I was definitely restless from 2:30 on.

So my take away was I didn't sleep as long initially with mouth tape as I did without it but the period I did sleep initially does look better than without mouth tape.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,139 11 minutes ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 33 10 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 376 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.