Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask leaking
Mask leaking
Thanks for accepting me. Here's my problem. I have only been using my first CPAP for a month. I can't get the mask to stop leaking!!!!! I've been given a new mask, am a mouth breather so got a chin strap. The strap helped the whooshing at the bottom but now I have leaks at sides and top. It's so frustrating!!!!!!! Not getting good night's sleep. Any ideas on what to try next?????
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask leaking
Have you made a concerted effort to try other types/shapes of mask?  If what you are wearing is fitted properly, there is no reason it should leak...except that it's the wrong shape of mask in the first place.  

I'm guessing the chin strap stopped that type of leakage.  Some find that it only helps, not prevents, mouth leakage.  

Incorrectly adjusted headgear strapping, or side tubes when side-sleeping, or just side sleeping in and of itself, can cause leakage because it displaces material linked to the mask or displaces part of the mask itself.  Even chin tucking can dislodge the mask if one is mostly supine (on one's back), but the head has tilted to the side.

I sleep with my hands folded sharply at the wrist and both of them under or beside my chin and face. Sleeping on an arm can dislodge the mask, and I believe that my hands can sometimes cause the mask to be forced sideways, thus breaking the seal at time. Not often, but once in a while...
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you made a concerted effort to try other types/shapes of mask?  If what you are wearing is fitted properly, there is no reason it should leak...except that it's the wrong shape of mask in the first place.  

I'm guessing the chin strap stopped that type of leakage.  Some find that it only helps, not prevents, mouth leakage.  

Incorrectly adjusted headgear strapping, or side tubes when side-sleeping, or just side sleeping in and of itself, can cause leakage because it displaces material linked to the mask or displaces part of the mask itself.  Even chin tucking can dislodge the mask if one is mostly supine (on one's back), but the head has tilted to the side.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you read mask primer in the wiki, do you have the right size cushion, then you could try mask liners finally, someone talked about mask mate cream which apparently provides a good seal. Other than that, as it was said, you might change kind of mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Barkerk, welcome to the forum! Glad you found us and hopefully you will get your issue resolved soon.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum, Barkerk. 

Finding the right mask and figuring out how to adjust it can be one of the most difficult parts for new cpap users. Insist that your DME keep working with you until you find a mask that works for you. Here is a link to the Mask Primer snorybob mentioned. It has a lot of information on picking out and using a mask. There is also a section about eliminating leaks.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi and welcome.

As others have said, check the wiki on mask information. Don't make the mistake lots, even myself have done. Don't over tighten the straps. Best of luck with this.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am also a mouth breather and I use the Dreamwear Full Face and I love this mask because it does not go over your nose but fits right up against your nostrils. I was having trouble with large leaks and because I did not want to have to change to a mask that would fit over my nose I decided to try sleeping on my side.  That night I knew was a good restful sleep night.  The high pressure of 22 on my ASV machine did not bother or awaken me.  When I was sleeping on my back and breathing out my mouth the high pressure would drive me crazy and I would feel as if I was in a hurricane.  The high pressure would cause the seal on my mask to fail and I would have to get up and go to the mirror to fix it. When I woke up from the night of sleeping on my side I laid in bed and realized I was breathing in and out ny nose and not my mouth.  My AHI had dropped to 0.89 and I had only two small leaks. My sleep doctor was so happy that drastic changes hd been made by sleeping on my side.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 366 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  ResMed Airsense N30i elbow leaking? Elton525 2 342 02-13-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Elton525
  Was doing well, AHI slightly higher, lots of leaking between 4-5am. jkang9080 4 565 12-14-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Equipment] I have to CRANK down my full face mask to prevent leaking. What am I doing wrong? srwilsn3 17 1,460 12-13-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
  leaking water tank ( Airsense 10) migos 2 520 09-16-2023, 06:21 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  AirFit F30i is leaking and I don't know what to do NoddingHacker 7 2,323 06-15-2023, 10:23 AM
Last Post: sttebr
  Good AHI and good oxygen levels - CPAP Leaking yp390 1 499 03-31-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.