Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask leaks?
Mask leaks?
Hi everyone, I have been doing APAP therapy for about a week now. It has gone good, except for the fact of having a sore on my nose from using the mask. I think I may be over tightening the straps. I am waiting for it to heal up and to get a nasal gel pad before trying another mask. My DME wanted me to try the mask for a week to see how it goes, so I will give it a few more days.

Anyway, I use the Mirage Quattro FFM. Sometimes during the night I notice a leak on the left hand side of the mask near my eye. I can tighten then screw at the top and it will go away. I haven't looked at SleepyHead for a few days to see my leak rate. On the machine it says my leak rate is 5L, I have the ResMed Autosense Autoset.

Another area I found I leak at sometimes is in the chin area. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help with that? Would a chinstrap help at all? Thanks!

Inky1
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask leaks?
Maybe you have read this, but someone posted some helpful tips.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...GUARANTEED
Post Reply Post Reply
Jeffy's tips are great but there are some areas that he did not cover. Probably would have made the post too long.

Correction of chin area leaks depend on the specific cause of the leak. The seal at the chin area is very compliant and will maintain a seal even with quite a bit of movement but one can open one's mouth wide enough to create a leak. A chin strap can help that.

I have found that some facial maneuvers can cause a leak in the chin area. If I draw my lips back in a very wide smile, it will create a leak. I do not know how to fix that other than just quit doing it.

My experience with Mirage Quattro headgear is that when it is new it will stretch a lot with use. When it is new, I have to re-tighten the head gear every several days. The permanent stretching will slow down to the point where you may be able to go months without having to readjust it. You can extend the time between adjustments by setting the adjustment screw out a fair way when readjusting the straps. Then as the stretching occurs you can offset it by adjusting the screw in until you run out of adjustment. Then it is time for headgear re-adjustment.

One other thing concerning the leak on one side near the eye. When you don the mask do you start with both bottom straps disconnected or only one. If you start with both disconnected and the left one is the last one you connect, reverse the procedure and make the right one the last to connect. If you don the mask with one bottom strap already connected, try it with the opposite side being already connected.

Then, once you have the mask on and the headgear all fastened, reach up with both hands, grab the bottom straps on both sides of your face, pull slightly away from your face, and alternatively pull right and left to get the tension on the mask evened out and the mask centered. Do the same thing to the top straps.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks PaytonA for the information. I was able to read the article by Jeffy. It was helpful and informative on what to do.

I usually put the headgear on with both straps disconnected at the bottom. I do the left side first and then the right. I will try to do what you suggested. Try doing it the reverse way.
Post Reply Post Reply
I figured something out today. I have been wearing my FFM wrong. I have had the part that goes under the mouth under my chin. The liner part that is.

So I get to wear it the normal way tonight. Hopefully the leaks won't be too bad tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 8 445 04-09-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: QT Pie
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 363 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 145 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 560 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 912 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 380 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 1,045 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.