Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask leaks
Mask leaks
I've been using CPAP for 15+ years, old machine was Fisher Paykel, Mirage Quattro mask for years. 

Go a new machine, ResMed Air 10 auto, and new mask.

Now using ResMes AirTouch F20 which I love. But leaks are an issue, to the point I've tightened it to what I feel to too tight (lines from straps, and nose bridge), but at the same time I never knew what my old leaks were (I used mask liners, no real need now I think).

Any ideas? Also, I don't feel leaks -- I certainly did with old mask. Did set mask type to full face on machine.

Mostly side sleeper, no beard (shaved Sunday 4/29 morning), and when I do it is more of a yessir Arafat beard (e.g., too lazy to shave daily). 

And for anyone who has an old machine like I did, get a new one. I got my prescription via PCP (primary care physician for other pondians). 

And, I have no idea on how to make this smaller. Using MacBook Pro with sleepyhead. 
And I haven't had four posts, so no images for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask leaks
mdhampton,
Did you switch masks because the Quattro was no longer available? Did you know that the Quattro FX actually uses the same seals as the old Quattro? They jst eliminated the forehead pad and top adjustment. I love the old Quattro and stockpiled some while they were still available.

My other question is why do you feel you don't need liners with your new mask? If you're having leak issues...why not use the liners? Will only help.
JD
Post Reply Post Reply
I got tired of the mirage problems I'd have: bridge of nose turning to hamburger needing band aids. And the "eye farts". 

No line needed with AirTouch, it is memory foam. I loosened straps, and got less leaks last night. I'll see if that continues.
Post Reply Post Reply
Consider the Airfit F20 cushion. It will fit your F20 frame. It has a flexible silicone seal with no memory foam. It seals well, is very comfortable (fo me, anyway) and from comments in toe forum is much more durable than the memory foam. I've been using the same cushion for a year.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
OK, looks like leaks are generally when going to sleep or waking up.

Last night, large leaks at start and when waking up:

[attachment=5662]

And night before: 

[attachment=5663]

AHI is low, and I don't feel the leaks like I did with the mirage.
Post Reply Post Reply
I thinks its worth persevering with the F20. It took me two months to get mine adjusted correctly. First problem I had with the F20 was major problems at the bridge of my nose. Redness and soreness. I got that correct but then had major leak problems. I threw it in the cupboard and went back to my P10 for about a week then tried the F20 again, and after some more adjustments I now have it with no leaks and no soreness and I really like the fit of the F20. But the whole process took about two months.
Post Reply Post Reply
Definitely going to suck with it for a while, I have no redness, just a deep impression above the bridge of the nose  where the mask fits. I used to the sizing tool, and it said large. Love the feel of the air touch mask, I never liked the silicon ones, even considered the fabric one, but was worried about cleaning (again, mouth can be open when I sleep).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 8 445 04-09-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: QT Pie
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 363 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 145 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 560 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 912 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 377 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 1,045 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.