Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask leaks and face marks from mask
RE: Mask leaks and face marks from mask
(06-06-2014, 07:31 PM)doblackb Wrote: Tez62, I would appreciate instructions on how to make your own mask liners. I will try your idea of putting the hose over the headboard of my bed to see if that helps. Thanks!

I bought some Remzzz’s mask liners, a 6 pack and although they say to only use them once you can wash them and get about 5-6 uses. I then made a template of what I needed from their liners and went to a fabric shop and got 3 ft of 50% cotton / 50% poly fabric and cut out my own and they also last 5-6 uses, the next time I bought 3 ft of 50% cotton / 50% lycra fabric. That last me about 3 months and costs about ten dollars. No need to do any sewing.

If you find they work for you, I have a template that I can send you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-06-2014, 11:40 AM)doblackb Wrote: I am a relatively new user of a cpap machine. I have a ResMed Quattro Air mask (full face mask) and have been having a couple of issues. First, I have been having some problems with the whistling sound from my mask having air leads, I presume. I try re-adjusting the mask, but this doesn't always work for long. Is there anything else I could be doing. Also, is it normal to have strap marks on your face and a red area on top of your nose where the mask has been. I don't want to go somewhere with marks on my face from using the cpap mask. Any suggestions??

I'm a 12 year CPAP'er. A few tricks I have learned over the years might help you some. When putting on the mask hold the mask securely against your face with one hand covering the entire mask, then snap the lower clip in place, with the hand still on the mask gently move the mask back and forth while continuing to press the mask against your face. Turn machine on and lie in bed and slowly turn your head back and forth and wiggle the mask a little to make sure it is seated properly to your face and has no air leaks. Mask should not be overly tight when first installed with the machine not running, when the machine is turned on the mask will make the fit a little better by the expansion of the rubber cushion. As for the red spot on your nose, they make a jelled type nose cushion you can get at your supplier if you want. If I gently washing my face and the mask cushion daily the red spot is no big problem for me and should disappear shortly after you remove the mask. The red strap marks on your face might be a sign that your mask is a little to tight. You should adjust your mask as loose as you can without it leaking. I'm sure you will finally find that sweet spot.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi doblackb. I'm sorry you are having a problem with your mask. Perhaps I can help since I have the same mask.

BTW, I cut my own nose bridge liners from an old tee-shirt. It works great for me and my nose is healing from when I didn't know how to adjust the mask properly.

Horsey's tips on the mask usage will be helpful for those who, like me, thought that the secret to stopping the Quattro Mirage (or possibly other masks) from leaking is to install the mask as tight as you can stand. Instead, you should install the mask as loose as you can get by with and have minimum leaks. The QM has an air cushion that needs to be inflated as you install the mask. The way I do it is put the top strap on my head and keep the mask off my face while turning the CPAP machine on to the mask test feature. That allows the air to flow into the mask and inflate the cushion. Then I move the mask into position against my face and fasten the lower straps.

Of course the first time you do this you should have the forehead adjustment screwed out to the 24 setting, top strap set just snug and have the lower straps let out to a completely loose position and slowly pull them just snug enough to stop the leaking. You'll be surprised how little tension is needed to stop the leaks. If necessary, adjust the forehead screw inward to stop any upper mask leaks as needed. Final adjustment should be made while reclining.

By using the leak test of the machine, it is pushing max pressure and you can get good inflation of the cushion so that it doesn't get creased as you press it to your face. Those creases can cause leaks and require you to tighten the straps to an inappropriate tension that will make you suffer needlessly.

When you get the Quattro mask adjusted and install correctly, it floats on your face on it's air cushion and the face pressure is very light. The Quattro gets a lot of bad reviews but most are from folks like me who didn't know how to install it properly until their noses bled. I've since gotten the message and life is good.

oldman
Post Reply Post Reply
Since the OPS question has been answered, I wish to add to it with a few about the same mask, the QUATTRO AIR.

For those that do have a well fitting mask, or did at one time, being the Quattro Air, can you tell me the rough period of time that you had it before it began to start leaking?
Ive been using mine for 6 weeks and its been perfect but its starting to leak very lightly now.
After reading this thread, I will try once again to loosen it up as i am pretty sure I tightened it up too much a few days ago after a mask cleansing but thought i had last night but in doing so, my AHIs went from 2.3 to 22 although the leaks seem really small, and are just barely happening.

So I will follow a post i see in this thread about holding it with one finger and putting it on, etc and see if that works but still curious to know what the average amount of time is for most people, between the first day putting it on and it works perfectly, until it starts to leak and they need to start putting these face liners on?

I am hoping to hear that its longer than 6 weeks??!!
I have a new one here still in the package but i don't want to open it until I have solved fixing the first one, one way or another.

So that means 3 questions please, the average amount of time, since day one of putting it on until your leaking enough you feel you need to start using these material things behind it and how long before you feel the mask is completely done and you need a new one?

Last but not least, unless i missed it, is it possible there is somewhere on the web that I can go to get a pattern for the QUATTRO AIR size medium as waiting for the DME to order them in will take too long.

Cheers
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-06-2014, 11:40 AM)doblackb Wrote: I am a relatively new user of a cpap machine. I have a ResMed Quattro Air mask (full face mask) and have been having a couple of issues. First, I have been having some problems with the whistling sound from my mask having air leads, I presume. I try re-adjusting the mask, but this doesn't always work for long. Is there anything else I could be doing. Also, is it normal to have strap marks on your face and a red area on top of your nose where the mask has been. I don't want to go somewhere with marks on my face from using the cpap mask. Any suggestions??

I have the same mask and same problems. I am using a silicone sealant used by divers that was recommended on some discussion board. It isn't perfect, but it does make a big difference. There are pads you can put on your nose, but I haven't tried them.

The stuff is called Trident Silicone Grease - you can get a 2 oz jar (which is a lot!) on Amazon for $8.
Post Reply Post Reply
A small patch of soft cotton approximately 3" X 3" draped over the upper part of the mask where your nose contacts it will provide such comfort that you will wonder why you would ever go without it. it need not be anything fancy or cut to any special patten shape - just a clean discarded tee-shirt is a good material source and cut it any way you like so long as it isn't so big that it gets in your eyes when in use. I cut mine 3" square and then clip the upper corners that might get in my eyes. The mask works so much better with that little patch, less apparent leakage and very comfortable on the nose. Amazing
Post Reply Post Reply
oops, I forgot to mention that with the mini-patch in place, if you get any upper area mask leaks that would normally blow into your eyes, you'll not even know they're there if the mini-patch is used. It muffles the tiny leaks down and diffuses them away from your eyes. Also know that my nose had an open wound from my mask before I started using this mini-liner and it allowed me to continue with CPAP therapy and wear the mask while my nose healed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2014, 05:16 PM)aminator Wrote:

I have the same mask and same problems. I am using a silicone sealant used by divers that was recommended on some discussion board. It isn't perfect, but it does make a big difference. There are pads you can put on your nose, but I haven't tried them.

The stuff is called Trident Silicone Grease - you can get a 2 oz jar (which is a lot!) on Amazon for $8.
Hi aminator,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Thanks for the very helpful tip.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2014, 07:21 PM)trish6hundred Wrote:
(08-14-2014, 05:16 PM)aminator Wrote:

Hi aminator,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Thanks for the very helpful tip.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.

Thanks! I'm pretty new to this (2 months) and am finding this board helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi aminator,
Yes, there is a lot of great people and very helpful information.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 82 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 278 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,557 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 225 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 97 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 139 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 132 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.