Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask leaks and face marks from mask
Mask leaks and face marks from mask
I am a relatively new user of a cpap machine. I have a ResMed Quattro Air mask (full face mask) and have been having a couple of issues. First, I have been having some problems with the whistling sound from my mask having air leads, I presume. I try re-adjusting the mask, but this doesn't always work for long. Is there anything else I could be doing. Also, is it normal to have strap marks on your face and a red area on top of your nose where the mask has been. I don't want to go somewhere with marks on my face from using the cpap mask. Any suggestions??
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask leaks and face marks from mask
You're probably fitting your mask too tightly. To try to control leaks, we sometimes crank down too much on the straps, which can create leaks. ....and it could leave strap marks etc on your face.

Try not using as much umphh when strapping up.

You may need to use a mask liner such as Remzzzz, or Pad-a-Cheek to assist with comfort and controlling leaks. Or you can make your own out of an old cotton t-shirt.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-06-2014, 11:40 AM)doblackb Wrote: I am a relatively new user of a cpap machine. I have a ResMed Quattro Air mask (full face mask) and have been having a couple of issues. First, I have been having some problems with the whistling sound from my mask having air leads, I presume. I try re-adjusting the mask, but this doesn't always work for long. Is there anything else I could be doing.

There are other masks you can try. Contact your equipment provider and ask about it. They have policies in place that allow newbies to try different masks. Switching masks to find the right one is very common.

Quote:Also, is it normal to have strap marks on your face and a red area on top of your nose where the mask has been. I don't want to go somewhere with marks on my face from using the cpap mask. Any suggestions??

The red area is an indication that this mask is not fitting you correctly. If the problem can't be fixed by adjusting the mask, then a different mask is called for.

As for the other marks, well, that's normal. Usually a morning shower will get rid of them for the most part. Be aware that this is similar to the adolescent pimple syndrome. We see these marks on our face and think they're so obvious that everyone will notice, but in fact they don't.

Adjusting the mask, or switching to a different mask, may help this problem. Also, there are a variety of products available that address mask comfort issues such as cushions and soft wraps that wrap around the mask straps.

One of the cushions may help with that red spot, especially while it heals and the tissue toughens up.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi doblackb,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
The mask is the hardest part of this therapy so don't be shy about asking to try different ones, as there are many different masks to choose from.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd try loosening off the Quattro Air a bit before giving up on it. I've personally found that the new generation of masks with the soft, deep seals (like the ResMed Quattro Air and F&P Simplus) seem to leak worse when they are strapped down hard. If that's what turns out to be the case for you, it should help with the strap marks, red on the nose and leaks Smile
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice! I will try your tips to see if that works.
Post Reply Post Reply
Stick with it. The benefits are worth the hassles. And the hassles subside as we adapt.

I've been at it for over two years and now it's as natural as resting my head on a pillow.

I think my dad had this affliction but treatment was not available back then. I'm thankful that I have it. I don't want to have to grow old the way he did. For the last few years of his life he was up all night and napped in his chair all day. Not what you'd call a good quality of life.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
Do blacks, welcome, I use the same mask, try the Remzzzs mask liner, if the would I can send you the instructions on how to make your our very easily and much cheaper than buying them. Try putting some material around the straps that mark your face and either a bandaid or a sall peice of material over the part of your nose that is getting red. The other thing to do is have the hose coming from above your head either over a bed head or you can buy or make a product called a hose lift. It saves you getting tangled and the mask pulls up instead of down and reduces leaks and allows you to loosen the straps more. You will find this is all trial and error until you find what suit you, good luck and keep us updated.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tez62, I would appreciate instructions on how to make your own mask liners. I will try your idea of putting the hose over the headboard of my bed to see if that helps. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
That is why I went to nasal pillows and love them. My FFM tore me up, maybe I had it too tight to stop leaks. I have a high bridged nose so that was bleeding within a week of starting. I did get the liners (of which I have a bunch left) and made it about 6 months. Never thought I could breath through my nose only till I tried. It opens up my nasal passages and works like a dream. There is so little pressure with the pillows that I don't ever want to go back. But try what they tell you or try other masks and hopefully you can find one that works for you.
Good Luck
Doc J
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Cannot keep the mask on stelljesjulius 4 91 8 hours ago
Last Post: stelljesjulius
  [Equipment] Brevida mask with Evora headgear BeauPetitNez 10 1,781 04-16-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: BeauPetitNez
  [CPAP] Congested/painful itch reaction/face hotness upon use of CPAP Yeliad 6 162 04-15-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 3 218 04-15-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Finding the Correct Mask snpperhd 6 153 04-13-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: snpperhd
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 9 989 04-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  New to CPAP and struggling with my mask. jmswjunk4 2 85 04-11-2024, 10:21 AM
Last Post: DancesWithCats

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.