Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Quatro FX
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 12
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Mask leaks/dry mouth
I have been a happy ResMed Autoset S9 user for the past two years. Within the past few days I have been having trouble with the system. I have been getting leaks, small at first, but progressing to larger leaks as the morning wears on. I also have been frustrated by “dry mouth”. I find myself breathing with my mouth open, hence all of the pressurized air is going through my mouth and not my nose (full face mask).

I have changed the cushion, then the mask, then the headgear and last night I verified that the water level in the reservoir is below the MAX line on the little yellow tab. I wash the cushion and mask every day with Dawn, and I wash my face with Ivory soap each night before I go to bed. None of the machine settings have been changed for a year or more.

I got a call from a friend today and he is having dry mouth problems too. We both live in Las Vegas and both have the same kind of machine. The humidity was 9% last night but that should not make any diferance as we have that kind of humidity all the time.

As an aside, my SD card went unserviceable two weeks ago (replacement in the mail) so I am unable to read what has been going on this past week.

Anybody have any ideas?

Cheers, VegasPier
04-20-2015 02:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
eseedhouse Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: SimPlus
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 7-10

Other Comments: Also on supplemental O2 at 3L/min. while sleeping.

RE: Mask leaks/dry mouth
(04-20-2015 02:58 PM)VegasPier Wrote:  As an aside, my SD card went unserviceable two weeks ago (replacement in the mail) so I am unable to read what has been going on this past week.

That's happened to me twice now. While you are waiting for the new one just put a locally bought one in the machine. Make sure to format it as a FAT32 drive with a partition name of RESMED. When our replacement card comes you can just copy the data over to it.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

I am neither a Doctor, nor any other kind of medical professional.

Actually you know, it is what it isn't.
04-20-2015 03:05 PM
JVinNE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Aircurve 10 ASV Bilevel
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus aka Facedigger
Humidifier: HumidAir™ with climate line
CPAP Pressure: Min EPAP 5 Max IPAP 13 PS 1-2

Other Comments: New, ASV Barbie, now with morning fart action.

Sex: Female

(04-20-2015 02:58 PM)VegasPier Wrote:  I have been a happy ResMed Autoset S9 user for the past two years. Within the past few days I have been having trouble with the system. I have been getting leaks, small at first, but progressing to larger leaks as the morning wears on. I also have been frustrated by “dry mouth”. I find myself breathing with my mouth open, hence all of the pressurized air is going through my mouth and not my nose (full face mask).

I have changed the cushion, then the mask, then the headgear and last night I verified that the water level in the reservoir is below the MAX line on the little yellow tab. I wash the cushion and mask every day with Dawn, and I wash my face with Ivory soap each night before I go to bed. None of the machine settings have been changed for a year or more.

I got a call from a friend today and he is having dry mouth problems too. We both live in Las Vegas and both have the same kind of machine. The humidity was 9% last night but that should not make any diferance as we have that kind of humidity all the time.

As an aside, my SD card went unserviceable two weeks ago (replacement in the mail) so I am unable to read what has been going on this past week.

Anybody have any ideas?

Cheers, VegasPier

I wear a FFM, and I have dry mouth, too, so I keep water bottles close to me. I tried turning up my humidifier, but then it was a bit like being in the jungle, so I went back to the auto setting.
04-20-2015 05:57 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

If you are wearing a FFM, you don't lose pressure if your mouth opens. That's what the FFM is for. You get the treatment pressure whether your mouth is open or closed. Your mouth is dry because it is opening. You could try using the humidifier, if you have one.

If you do not have the card in there, the only data you will have when you put it in will be compliance information (hours used). ResMed keeps very little on the machine itself other than that. ResScan *might* be able to see the numbers, but probably not since there is no card present.

You can use any SDHC card (I think that's the alphabet soup name). You don't need but 2GB so get the smallest you can find. Or use the one in your camera if it is the right size (physical size, not memory size). Just take the photos off first because the machine will erase them.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
04-20-2015 11:17 PM
PaytonA Online
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

I wear a full face mask and it takes three things for me to control dry mouth.

I am currently using the standard tubing and I just raised the humidity setting on my S9 to 4.5 this morning. When using climateline tubing I have it set to auto and the temp is set to 83 deg. F.

I use Biotene mouth wash for dry mouth at night just before going to bed.

I practice the tongue seal against the roof of my mouth every night before I go to sleep. I do not have it perfected or I would not need the FFM but apparently it is enough to help avoid dry mouth.

Living in an area where the humidity is very low does not keep you from having dry mouth from CPAP unless you mouth breathe all day long too and then I would expect that you would have dry mouth during the day as well.

I travel to Albuquerque, NM fairly frequently which is a dry climate like Las Vegas and I do not have any dry mouth problem there.

Best REgards,

PaytonA
04-21-2015 10:58 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
JVinNE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Aircurve 10 ASV Bilevel
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus aka Facedigger
Humidifier: HumidAir™ with climate line
CPAP Pressure: Min EPAP 5 Max IPAP 13 PS 1-2

Other Comments: New, ASV Barbie, now with morning fart action.

Sex: Female

(04-21-2015 10:58 AM)PaytonA Wrote:  I wear a full face mask and it takes three things for me to control dry mouth.

I am currently using the standard tubing and I just raised the humidity setting on my S9 to 4.5 this morning. When using climateline tubing I have it set to auto and the temp is set to 83 deg. F.

I use Biotene mouth wash for dry mouth at night just before going to bed.

I practice the tongue seal against the roof of my mouth every night before I go to sleep. I do not have it perfected or I would not need the FFM but apparently it is enough to help avoid dry mouth.

Living in an area where the humidity is very low does not keep you from having dry mouth from CPAP unless you mouth breathe all day long too and then I would expect that you would have dry mouth during the day as well.

I travel to Albuquerque, NM fairly frequently which is a dry climate like Las Vegas and I do not have any dry mouth problem there.

Best REgards,

PaytonA

I have been practicing the tongue seal, but it rarely works for me. This morning, I had swallowed a lot of air, and I was burping and tooting again.
04-21-2015 04:08 PM
swampfoxforge Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed S9
Mask Make & Model: unsure
Humidifier: ResMedH5i
CPAP Pressure: unsure
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I drive trucks and make knives

Hi, I live in Mississippi, we generally have hi humidity. I guess I sleep with my mouth open, I have the full face mask type. I always sleep with the humidifier set on 6.0. Occasionally, the humidifier will run dry and I will wake up with a dry mouth, but that's the only time.
04-21-2015 05:05 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Bite Guard for Mouth Breathing mcsheltie 11 456 11-29-2016 11:46 AM
Last Post: mcsheltie
  [CPAP] Mouth slips below mask Carbonate 5 239 11-28-2016 07:35 AM
Last Post: jimscott3
  Is it worth dropping pressure to get over leaks rich2905 19 1,238 11-16-2016 02:38 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
Angry [Treatment] Dry Mouth Question Turborob2005 5 297 11-15-2016 10:30 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mouth Breathing mcsheltie 31 1,009 11-15-2016 08:25 PM
Last Post: chill
Question CA's, Mask type, and leaks/vent Rcgop 10 357 11-15-2016 03:02 PM
Last Post: robysue
Question Dry mouth djamiem 7 300 11-14-2016 08:58 AM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore