Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask leaks/dry mouth
Mask leaks/dry mouth
I have been a happy ResMed Autoset S9 user for the past two years. Within the past few days I have been having trouble with the system. I have been getting leaks, small at first, but progressing to larger leaks as the morning wears on. I also have been frustrated by “dry mouth”. I find myself breathing with my mouth open, hence all of the pressurized air is going through my mouth and not my nose (full face mask).

I have changed the cushion, then the mask, then the headgear and last night I verified that the water level in the reservoir is below the MAX line on the little yellow tab. I wash the cushion and mask every day with Dawn, and I wash my face with Ivory soap each night before I go to bed. None of the machine settings have been changed for a year or more.

I got a call from a friend today and he is having dry mouth problems too. We both live in Las Vegas and both have the same kind of machine. The humidity was 9% last night but that should not make any diferance as we have that kind of humidity all the time.

As an aside, my SD card went unserviceable two weeks ago (replacement in the mail) so I am unable to read what has been going on this past week.

Anybody have any ideas?

Cheers, VegasPier
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask leaks/dry mouth
(04-20-2015, 02:58 PM)VegasPier Wrote: As an aside, my SD card went unserviceable two weeks ago (replacement in the mail) so I am unable to read what has been going on this past week.

That's happened to me twice now. While you are waiting for the new one just put a locally bought one in the machine. Make sure to format it as a FAT32 drive with a partition name of RESMED. When our replacement card comes you can just copy the data over to it.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2015, 02:58 PM)VegasPier Wrote: I have been a happy ResMed Autoset S9 user for the past two years. Within the past few days I have been having trouble with the system. I have been getting leaks, small at first, but progressing to larger leaks as the morning wears on. I also have been frustrated by “dry mouth”. I find myself breathing with my mouth open, hence all of the pressurized air is going through my mouth and not my nose (full face mask).

I have changed the cushion, then the mask, then the headgear and last night I verified that the water level in the reservoir is below the MAX line on the little yellow tab. I wash the cushion and mask every day with Dawn, and I wash my face with Ivory soap each night before I go to bed. None of the machine settings have been changed for a year or more.

I got a call from a friend today and he is having dry mouth problems too. We both live in Las Vegas and both have the same kind of machine. The humidity was 9% last night but that should not make any diferance as we have that kind of humidity all the time.

As an aside, my SD card went unserviceable two weeks ago (replacement in the mail) so I am unable to read what has been going on this past week.

Anybody have any ideas?

Cheers, VegasPier

I wear a FFM, and I have dry mouth, too, so I keep water bottles close to me. I tried turning up my humidifier, but then it was a bit like being in the jungle, so I went back to the auto setting.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are wearing a FFM, you don't lose pressure if your mouth opens. That's what the FFM is for. You get the treatment pressure whether your mouth is open or closed. Your mouth is dry because it is opening. You could try using the humidifier, if you have one.

If you do not have the card in there, the only data you will have when you put it in will be compliance information (hours used). ResMed keeps very little on the machine itself other than that. ResScan *might* be able to see the numbers, but probably not since there is no card present.

You can use any SDHC card (I think that's the alphabet soup name). You don't need but 2GB so get the smallest you can find. Or use the one in your camera if it is the right size (physical size, not memory size). Just take the photos off first because the machine will erase them.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I wear a full face mask and it takes three things for me to control dry mouth.

I am currently using the standard tubing and I just raised the humidity setting on my S9 to 4.5 this morning. When using climateline tubing I have it set to auto and the temp is set to 83 deg. F.

I use Biotene mouth wash for dry mouth at night just before going to bed.

I practice the tongue seal against the roof of my mouth every night before I go to sleep. I do not have it perfected or I would not need the FFM but apparently it is enough to help avoid dry mouth.

Living in an area where the humidity is very low does not keep you from having dry mouth from CPAP unless you mouth breathe all day long too and then I would expect that you would have dry mouth during the day as well.

I travel to Albuquerque, NM fairly frequently which is a dry climate like Las Vegas and I do not have any dry mouth problem there.

Best REgards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2015, 10:58 AM)PaytonA Wrote: I wear a full face mask and it takes three things for me to control dry mouth.

I am currently using the standard tubing and I just raised the humidity setting on my S9 to 4.5 this morning. When using climateline tubing I have it set to auto and the temp is set to 83 deg. F.

I use Biotene mouth wash for dry mouth at night just before going to bed.

I practice the tongue seal against the roof of my mouth every night before I go to sleep. I do not have it perfected or I would not need the FFM but apparently it is enough to help avoid dry mouth.

Living in an area where the humidity is very low does not keep you from having dry mouth from CPAP unless you mouth breathe all day long too and then I would expect that you would have dry mouth during the day as well.

I travel to Albuquerque, NM fairly frequently which is a dry climate like Las Vegas and I do not have any dry mouth problem there.

Best REgards,

PaytonA

I have been practicing the tongue seal, but it rarely works for me. This morning, I had swallowed a lot of air, and I was burping and tooting again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, I live in Mississippi, we generally have hi humidity. I guess I sleep with my mouth open, I have the full face mask type. I always sleep with the humidifier set on 6.0. Occasionally, the humidifier will run dry and I will wake up with a dry mouth, but that's the only time.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 40 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 384 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 290 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 319 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 242 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 141 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 162 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.