Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask leaks, very strange, help!
Mask leaks, very strange, help!
Hi Guys
Long story short, I've been using three different pillow masks and finally settled on the P10.
AHI around 3.5 few leaks so liveable with. Then........

I went to the UK for 5 weeks used a new P10 and was amazed at the lack of leaks and my AHI was down to 1.5 or so. So at this point I'm feeling that I am set now.

On my return to Singapore, and using the original P10 I started getting massive leaks and have done for the last 2 weeks and am getting the red face mask fit on the A10.

My conundrum is that there is nothing different between UK and here in Singapore except the P10, and my bed pillow. Singapore P10 7 weeks of use, UK P10 5 weeks of use, both purchased fro USA. Both bed pillows are are foam type pillows so they are fairly firm.

This is really odd, as I get 5 weeks with great results then 2 weeks of terrible results on the leak front, with no apparent difference in the equipment used.

Has anybody got any suggestions or experienced similar?

I could do with getting this fixed so I can get decent sleep again so any suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks
D
Failure is NOT an option.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask leaks, very strange, help!
Hi Eurika,
It could be that your pillow on the older P10 is a bit worn. When they wear out, they get a little soft and you don't get as good of a seal. The newer pillow is firmer, thus giving you a better seal.
Hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
what Trish said
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think that the pillows are worn as they seem fairly firm and only been used for 7 weeks max, but will try new replacement pillows to see if that really is the problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are the pillows used in the UK and the ones used in Singapore the same size?

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Sometimes when you wash the P10 pillows the inner seal will turn inside out. Look very closely at the pillows and make sure this did not happen.

Other issues are using the mask upside down, but that's not too likely as you would no doubt have noticed that.

Finally, they aren't supposed to last all that long. Resmed thinks you should replace them every 20 days. I don't agree, and I think while 7 weeks could be stretching it a little, it isn't likely that would cause them to fail to this degree.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, everything is the same, size, supplier etc. It just seems so odd that there was such a marked improvement in the UK.
I think the problem is that the pillow I rest my head on is softer her in Singapore and as I sleep on my side I'm pushing the nasal pillows off with the head pillow.
I'm trying to use a firmer pillow so that my head doesn't sink into it and push the N pillows away from their position.
I'm hoping that this will cure the problem, I'll report back after a few nights on the efficacy of a firmer pillow.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2015, 08:52 AM)Eurika Wrote: Hi, everything is the same, size, supplier etc. It just seems so odd that there was such a marked improvement in the UK.
I think the problem is that the pillow I rest my head on is softer her in Singapore and as I sleep on my side I'm pushing the nasal pillows off with the head pillow.
I'm trying to use a firmer pillow so that my head doesn't sink into it and push the N pillows away from their position.
I'm hoping that this will cure the problem, I'll report back after a few nights on the efficacy of a firmer pillow.

Yes, you make a good point, unless you sleep on your back I would think for side sleeping that pillow would make a difference.
Don't think humidity would matter?, I have also heard mask pillows are good for 30 days use after that all bets are off.
Good Luck!
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
My insurance will pay for Two replacement pillows every month! Although I stretch it for at least 3 weeks. I do notice if I use them for that long, they are very soft. So I think there is a good reason for ins. to cover 2 per month. Most ins. follow the same replacement schedule, so why not have the extras on hand...or should I say nose.

My AHI started to go up when I used the nasal pillow for more than 3 weeks.
Sleep-on-pillow
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Greetings Eurika,
Is the machine the same machine used in both Singapore and UK? Just asking because that might make a difference, or it might have had different settings.

I am a p10 user and it is all I have used. There has been a bit of a "learning" curve for me with them and side and stomach with face to side, sleeping. I seem to have the most leaks with them on my side. I used to wake with the sounds of the leaks, then I think i got to be sort of pleasantly lulled to sleep by the gentle wooshing (even worse, cause I didn't wake to adjust)

My pillows are under 3 weeks of use each so I can't say about longevity/seal.

The weird thing is, I note that when I have a deeper dog tired but refreshing sleep, they seem to have more leaks than when I have
a more fitful less refreshing sleep. I think in the former, my face relaxes more and gets me into more mask trouble, or I relax more in my frame and somehow hit the pillow differently.

I've just in the last couple days, taken away my name brand memory foam pillow so that I won't be tempted to sleep on my side proper. Instead I sleep in the "Dr. Falcon" sleep position. (you can google it) with only soft pillows I use to support shoulders. As such my face is against mattress and I've had much better success with ahi and not having large leaks. As such I blame the side sleep and pillow placement overall. Keep experimenting with the pillows etc.

You'll get there. You know you can have good luck with the p10.

Susan
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 280 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 158 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 106 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 496 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 758 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.