Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask liners? Sore on nose this morning.
Mask liners? Sore on nose this morning.
I have an AirFit F10 FFM, and it's hurtin' me nose on the left side. I purchased some mask liners this morning. Has anyone here had good results with them? If not, what should I do to prevent this? I appreciate your suggestions and comments. Thank you.

I'm new to all of this.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask liners? Sore on nose this morning.
(04-03-2015, 10:37 AM)ConfusedInRI Wrote: I have an AirFit F10 FFM, and it's hurtin' me nose on the left side. I purchased some mask liners this morning. Has anyone here had good results with them? If not, what should I do to prevent this? I appreciate your suggestions and comments. Thank you.

I'm new to all of this.

First, clean your mask cushions well and I would keep after it daily for a week or so and then pick your own cleaning interval or continue the daily cleaning. Second, I clean my face in the areas that the mask cushions contact nightly just before going to bed. Some people use soap and water on their face. I use an astringent.

Sometimes cleaning is all that is required. If not, the mask liners should help. I have never used mask liners so my opinion is from the results of others.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2015, 10:55 AM)PaytonA Wrote:
(04-03-2015, 10:37 AM)ConfusedInRI Wrote: I have an AirFit F10 FFM, and it's hurtin' me nose on the left side. I purchased some mask liners this morning. Has anyone here had good results with them? If not, what should I do to prevent this? I appreciate your suggestions and comments. Thank you.

I'm new to all of this.

First, clean your mask cushions well and I would keep after it daily for a week or so and then pick your own cleaning interval or continue the daily cleaning. Second, I clean my face in the areas that the mask cushions contact nightly just before going to bed. Some people use soap and water on their face. I use an astringent.

Sometimes cleaning is all that is required. If not, the mask liners should help. I have never used mask liners so my opinion is from the results of others.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

I've been washing the mask daily, as well as washing my face, and then using alcohol on it, but... last night, my room was too hot, and when I had a sweat, the thing went sliding around, and hence the mask booboo. Going to try make sure the room isn't too warm before bed.

Thank you for responding.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the sweat is causing the mask shifting and then the sore spot, then a mask liner should absorb some of the oil and moisture and prevent the shifting.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2015, 11:59 AM)truetopath Wrote: If the sweat is causing the mask shifting and then the sore spot, then a mask liner should absorb some of the oil and moisture and prevent the shifting.

Thank you for responding. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2015, 02:31 PM)ConfusedInRI Wrote:
(04-03-2015, 11:59 AM)truetopath Wrote: If the sweat is causing the mask shifting and then the sore spot, then a mask liner should absorb some of the oil and moisture and prevent the shifting.

Not a problem! Best of luck with your therapy!

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2015, 05:03 PM)truetopath Wrote:
(04-03-2015, 02:31 PM)ConfusedInRI Wrote:

Not a problem! Best of luck with your therapy!

Thank you for your kindness.

Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:I have an AirFit F10 FFM, and it's hurtin' me nose on the left side. I purchased some mask liners this morning. Has anyone here had good results with them? If not, what should I do to prevent this?

Hi,

It is always important never to over tighten a mask, or we will get sore spots.

I use the F10 with a mask liner. Using a liner helps to diffuse and soften the leaks, and completely eliminates bothersome mask burping/trumpeting caused by leaks, so I am able to have the mask a little looser without having bothersome leaks.

Everyone hates mask liners (at least at first) because the liners tend to touch our eyelashes, which is very bothersome.

But I patiently and very gently push or fold the liner away from my eyes, toward the bridge of my nose, so that my eyelashes are not touched.

Also, the liners tend to curl either toward the face or away from the face, and when I re-use the liner, I am always very careful to put it on my face such that the liner curls away from my eyes.

Also, pulling/stretching the liner will tend to make it curl away from the face, which is more comfortable. But stretching out the liner much at all will make us need to change to a fresh liner sooner (or a freshly-washed and pressed liner). I try never to stretch out the liner, and I usually am able to re-use a liner for about a week before needing to wash and press it, to get it small enough to wear again. Some users make their own liners using a better material which does not stretch out so quickly.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2015, 12:57 AM)vsheline Wrote:
(04-03-2015, 10:37 AM)ConfusedInRI Wrote: I have an AirFit F10 FFM, and it's hurtin' me nose on the left side. I purchased some mask liners this morning. Has anyone here had good results with them? If not, what should I do to prevent this?

Hi ConfusedInRI,

It is always important never to over tighten a mask, or we will get sore spots.

I use the F10 with a mask liner. Using a liner helps to diffuse and soften the leaks, and completely eliminates bothersome mask burping/trumpeting caused by leaks, so I am able to have the mask a little looser without having bothersome leaks.

Everyone hates mask liners (at least at first) because the liners tend to touch our eyelashes, which is very bothersome.

But I patiently and very gently push or fold the liner away from my eyes, toward the bridge of my nose, so that my eyelashes are not touched.

Also, the liners tend to curl either toward the face or away from the face, and when I re-use the liner, I am always very careful to put it on my face such that the liner curls away from my eyes.

Also, pulling/stretching the liner will tend to make it curl away from the face, which is more comfortable. But stretching out the liner much at all will make us need to change to a fresh liner sooner (or a freshly-washed and pressed liner). I try never to stretch out the liner, and I usually am able to re-use a liner for about a week before needing to wash and press it, to get it small enough to wear again. Some users make their own liners using a better material which does not stretch out so quickly.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Thank you for responding, Vaughn, and for your kindness. I have purchased the disposable liners from a popular cpap site.
Post Reply Post Reply
Please let us know how they work for you!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hybrid Masks more comfortable than over the nose FF mask? sleepingbetterinFl 1 55 Yesterday, 11:51 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 12 193 04-17-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: jake79
  [Equipment] Do you turn off your Airsense in the morning after using? dharma2255 9 250 04-10-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Dripping Nose Lesley19 3 117 04-10-2024, 01:50 AM
Last Post: Lesley19
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 200 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,930 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 298 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.