Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask liners? Sore on nose this morning.
RE: Mask liners? Sore on nose this morning.
Can the mask liners be ordered online? I started using a CPAP for the first time a week ago with a Mirage FX mask. For the last couple of nights when I put my mask on, I feel a slightly sore spot on one side of my nose that feels like a pressure point forming. I don't think I have the mask on too tight. Does a liner provide additional cushioning?

Post Reply Post Reply
Sure can. Check out the supplier list on the top of the page and take your pick for the one that you like best.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2015, 12:23 PM)truetopath Wrote: Sure can. Check out the supplier list on the top of the page and take your pick for the one that you like best.

Thank you!

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2015, 11:16 AM)truetopath Wrote: Please let us know how they work for you!

Happy to let you know the result. By the way, this is all really new to me. I've only been on my machine for 4 days, and I REALLY miss being able to sleep comfortably on my tummy. I'm thinking about trying a CPAP pillow with side cutouts to see if it can be done with a FFM.

I've had some issues with morning "gas," as well as being woken up because my face got oily, and the mask made a tooting noise at me. Last night, when I got up to pee, I had to rewash the outer seal of my mask, and clean my nose and around it with alcohol. That's why I want the liners. When that mask slides around it leaves a painful pressure sore on my nose. I have occasional problems with nasal congestion that cannot be solved by inhalers or decongestants, due to a prescription medication I'm on, so a nasal mask and a chin strap might not work for me. I may try it at some point, because I have a pulse oximeter on, and if my breathing becomes bad and I don't wake up right away, the alarm could go off if I desat.

PS. This is a really nice board. Thank you to everyone who has responded and been kind to me. It means a lot to me, because I have anxiety over this sleeping with a machine thing.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2015, 12:53 PM)ConfusedInRI Wrote:
(04-04-2015, 11:16 AM)truetopath Wrote: Please let us know how they work for you!

Happy to let you know the result. By the way, this is all really new to me. I've only been on my machine for 4 days, and I REALLY miss being able to sleep comfortably on my tummy. I'm thinking about trying a CPAP pillow with side cutouts to see if it can be done with a FFM.

I've had some issues with morning "gas," as well as being woken up because my face got oily, and the mask made a tooting noise at me. Last night, when I got up to pee, I had to rewash the outer seal of my mask, and clean my nose and around it with alcohol. That's why I want the liners. When that mask slides around it leaves a painful pressure sore on my nose. I have occasional problems with nasal congestion that cannot be solved by inhalers or decongestants, due to a prescription medication I'm on, so a nasal mask and a chin strap might not work for me. I may try it at some point, because I have a pulse oximeter on, and if my breathing becomes bad and I don't wake up right away, the alarm could go off if I desat.

PS. This is a really nice board. Thank you to everyone who has responded and been kind to me. It means a lot to me, because I have anxiety over this sleeping with a machine thing.

There are a lot of mixed reviews on cpap bed pillows. Personally I bought one and got rid of it after one use, but it may work for you, so if you have the extra $60-$80 laying around go for it.

What I found helped with my face getting oily later in the night was to keep a container of mask wipes and a container of stridex wipes next to my bed. When I'd get woken up with mask leaks in the middle of the night I would take a minute to wipe the mask cushion with the mask wipe and my face around where the mask would contact with the stridex wipe. It worked for me, but again it may not work for you

Finally, with the nasal congestion you can try adjusting your humidity up or down to see if that helps. What I use is the ayr saline nasal gel with aloe, and simply saline. It seems to help.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2015, 04:15 PM)truetopath Wrote:
(04-04-2015, 12:53 PM)ConfusedInRI Wrote:

There are a lot of mixed reviews on cpap bed pillows. Personally I bought one and got rid of it after one use, but it may work for you, so if you have the extra $60-$80 laying around go for it.

What I found helped with my face getting oily later in the night was to keep a container of mask wipes and a container of stridex wipes next to my bed. When I'd get woken up with mask leaks in the middle of the night I would take a minute to wipe the mask cushion with the mask wipe and my face around where the mask would contact with the stridex wipe. It worked for me, but again it may not work for you

Finally, with the nasal congestion you can try adjusting your humidity up or down to see if that helps. What I use is the ayr saline nasal gel with aloe, and simply saline. It seems to help.

I've been using alcohol on my face when it gets greasy at night, and I let it dry well before I put the mask back on, but I'm concerned that I might be allergic to the mask wipes. I have very sensitive skin. I suppose I could try it. Which brand do you use?

Post Reply Post Reply
I use the contour unscented ones. If your skin is sensitive I'd avoid the citrus or scented ones.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2015, 05:00 PM)truetopath Wrote: I use the contour unscented ones. If your skin is sensitive I'd avoid the citrus or scented ones.

Thank you for the recommendation.

Post Reply Post Reply
I got a better mask yesterday; DME delivered it to my house in person. Smile I tried the mask liners, but I don't like the feeling of them. Maybe if I cut the hole wider? It doesn't fit both my nose and my mouth into the space. I do like the forehead protector, but that could be made from any old cotton t-shirt.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the update! What mask did you get?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 121 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 147 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,969 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  ENT / Morning Sleep r4robin 4 200 03-07-2024, 06:12 PM
Last Post: r4robin
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.