Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask liners, humidifiers & AHI
Mask liners, humidifiers & AHI
Good morning All,

Still new to the forum I have a few questions from my first three weeks of using CPAP - any answers are most welcome, thank you.

1. Using a full mask I have developed a soreness & bleeding either side of my nose. I have just found out about mask liners (and ordered a trial set). Does anyone have any experience of these and any tips for using them? O bought a trial pack version of Remzzzs.

2. Humidifiers - I'm in the UK so my Resmed S9 is NHS supplied (not free if you look at my NI contributions), because of COPD I am very much a mouth-breather which results in painful dryness right to the back of my throat. Will the NHS provide a humidifier or do I have to purchase this myself (same applies to the mask liners)?

3. I downloaded the Sleepyhead software and used the data on the SD card - the AHI grahp is completely empty?? All other graphs show data so, does this mean I've not had any apnoeas or that the data isn't being read? During the sleep study I was told that I had an average of 28 per hour.

Sorry for all the questions - just trying to understand this new problem (thought after the COPD that I'd already got my share of issues!)

Oh, why am I still using the CPAP with so many problems? I've just had 8 wonderful hours of sleep and woke with a sore throat and headache but feeling wide awake ... it's worth the issues to be awake!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask liners, humidifiers & AHI
Good to see you're making progress - small steps at first.

As I understand it the Remzz liners are quite thin fabric, so I doubt they will provide the cushioning you require. If the mask is causing bleeding, it's either: a) The wrong make & model for your face; b) The wrong size; or c) Far too tight. Getting the right mask is essential for successful therapy, and if it's causing bleeding after a few weeks then something is very wrong. You need to get this checked out. The liners will provide a little bit of a cushion but are mainly to improve the seal between the mask and your skin and to overcome any allergic reaction.

Humidifier - sorry I don't know what the rules are in the UK, but I personally think the humidifier should be a mandatory part of the package.

Zero AHI? Either the machine is doing a great job or there's a problem in the report. Which model S9 do you have (Escape, Elite, Autoset)? If it's the Escape then you won't get usable data - for the other machines you will. Try rebooting the machine (unplug from the wall for 30 minutes) and see if it's still returning zero. If so, check the events tab in SleepyHead (just under the calendar) to see if anything's recorded there. If it's still zero, then congratulations!

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2016, 02:00 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Good to see you're making progress - small steps at first.

As I understand it the Remzz liners are quite thin fabric, so I doubt they will provide the cushioning you require. If the mask is causing bleeding, it's either: a) The wrong make & model for your face; b) The wrong size; or c) Far too tight. Getting the right mask is essential for successful therapy, and if it's causing bleeding after a few weeks then something is very wrong. You need to get this checked out. The liners will provide a little bit of a cushion but are mainly to improve the seal between the mask and your skin and to overcome any allergic reaction.

Humidifier - sorry I don't know what the rules are in the UK, but I personally think the humidifier should be a mandatory part of the package.

Zero AHI? Either the machine is doing a great job or there's a problem in the report. Which model S9 do you have (Escape, Elite, Autoset)? If it's the Escape then you won't get usable data - for the other machines you will. Try rebooting the machine (unplug from the wall for 30 minutes) and see if it's still returning zero. If so, check the events tab in SleepyHead (just under the calendar) to see if anything's recorded there. If it's still zero, then congratulations!

Thanks for the reply, I checked yesterday with a pharmacist and they thought that it's probably an allergic reaction causing the skin damage, hence creating a barrier between the silicone & skin - I'm due back at the sleep clinic in 10 days so I'll raise all these questions at that time with them.

The zero AHI - think you've answered the question ... it's the S9 Escape which explains the lack of data. After the first week they did say it was working (but didn't explain how) I think I need to ask more questions when I see them.

Many thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2016, 02:17 AM)y_not Wrote: The zero AHI - think you've answered the question ... it's the S9 Escape which explains the lack of data. After the first week they did say it was working (but didn't explain how) I think I need to ask more questions when I see them.

Hi y_not,

Welcome to Apnea Board.

The Escape does not provide any detailed data. Nor does it provide any efficacy data telling them (or you) how well the therapy is working. When they say it's working, they must mean it's powered up at least 4 hrs a night, so you are "compliant" on the therapy.

Don't be afraid to carefully empty all water and pack your machine up and bring it back to them and ask them for a data-capable machine like the Elite. (They are not going to shoot you for asking.)

Info on machine choices:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Good luck.
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2016, 05:07 AM)vsheline Wrote:
(02-07-2016, 02:17 AM)y_not Wrote: The zero AHI - think you've answered the question ... it's the S9 Escape which explains the lack of data. After the first week they did say it was working (but didn't explain how) I think I need to ask more questions when I see them.

Hi y_not,

Welcome to Apnea Board.

The Escape does not provide any detailed data. Nor does it provide any efficacy data telling them (or you) how well the therapy is working. When they say it's working, they must mean it's powered up at least 4 hrs a night, so you are "compliant" on the therapy.

Don't be afraid to carefully empty all water and pack your machine up and bring it back to them and ask them for a data-capable machine like the Elite. (They are not going to shoot you for asking.)

Info on machine choices:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Good luck.
--- Vaughn

Thanks Vaughn, I've just had a look at the list now that I feel like live been scammed, I am going to ask a few questions but, I suspect that I'll be told "that's all you're having!" so I think the airsense 10 with humidifier might be the way to go.
Hope I'm wrong cause they ain't cheap! Fingers crossed and hope they have the right answers.
Many thanks for the advice
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mask Liners newtothis1 1 318 12-31-2023, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,533 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  mask liners F30i face mask cberistain 7 1,996 10-20-2022, 07:14 PM
Last Post: Kidatply
  Mask Liners and Leaks ejbpesca 2 644 10-09-2022, 04:49 PM
Last Post: Melman
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,222 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,758 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Mask liners Dreamless 2 723 11-12-2021, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Dreamless

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.