Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask moves when I breath in and out.
Mask moves when I breath in and out.
Been using this site for awhile now for help, but I can't seem to find any information ANYWHERE about what is causing my mask to move when I breath.

Dang thing seem pushes away from my face as I breath in, and return when I breath out. I do have EPR set on Med. and fast, and I've messed around with it and yielded little in the way of results.

At 18-20 psi I've had this issue several times before and randomly fiddled with the headgear straps and forehead support knob, but nothing has worked this time around.

Anyone have any traction on this? Please?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask moves when I breath in and out.
EPR decreases pressure on exhale. So, when you start a breath, pressure jumps up and the mask will move away on its flexible cushion.

Just an FYI, CPAP pressure is measure in centimeters of water; not PSI. You'd explode with pressure in the PSI range.

Also, I like the Quattro mask. I tweak the knob on the forehead brace to get a good seal at the bridge of the nose.
With my VPAP bilevel, my pressure is set to change by 5 cm-water to/from inhale/exhale. It seems to be more a matter of how fast the pressure switches as to whether it will bother me. With "easybreathe" enabled, I don't notice the pressure change from IPAP to EPAP.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, that can happen. Unless it is leaking, try to just get used to it. I know, sound so easy, right?

Wear the mask during the day while reading or watching tv. Have the machine on and just wear it to get used to it.

Eventually, either you'll stop noticing it or your breathing will settle down and it won't move any more.

But if it is leaking with that movement, then that's a different ball of wax. Or silicone, actually.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Zigler,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd just add that some people (such as myself) have oily skin, I have been washing my face every night before bed to avoid that. My pressure is much lower but it will still happen if my skin is greasy.
"I'm not asleep... but that doesn't mean I'm awake."
Post Reply Post Reply
Every time I come here I learn something new. As it turns out, EPR was the culprit. I turned it down from Fast to medium and that seems to have worked for the most part. There were no or few/random leaks with the mask, I'm well used to it by now, what with going into my 3rd year with the thing, I only recently began to play around with the settings. I have a full beard so it can take a bit to adjust it each nite.

Now onto more challenges; mask whistling and getting a proper (not so tight) fit.

Thanks all for the help/advice, like I said, I've visited these forums before and until , found then to be full of useful info I never had to ask for before. Wink
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rapid Breathing-Fractured Sleep-Out of Breath Fixit50 76 4,016 01-31-2024, 01:37 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Best top hose full mask for someone that moves around a lot Rebdr 2 470 10-25-2023, 09:55 AM
Last Post: Rebdr
  Is this normal - no breath for over a minute? Pizzafoundry 12 848 10-16-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Pizzafoundry
  Do nasal cpap help to not breath through mouth? hejohoo 10 1,428 09-19-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: hejohoo
  Shortness of Breath - Low Oxygen level Sandyelle 3 614 07-17-2023, 07:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad Causes of Expiatory Mouth Breath? Norman2195 8 858 05-31-2023, 03:10 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Treatment] Struggle to breath in with CPAP davroman 4 542 05-29-2023, 06:39 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.