Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask on/off numbers make no sense
Mask on/off numbers make no sense
I’ve had my ResMed AirSense 11 for 9 months now. Originally I had a p30i nasal pillow mask, but recently switched to the AirFit N20 for Her because I have a very small head and fine hair. After I lost weight, the old P30i headgear kept slipping and putting the nose pillows at the wrong angle. I absolutely LOVE. The N20, however I have one issue that has cropped up with the new mask. Most nights the myAir app thinks I’ve had a bunch more mask on/off’s than I actually had. In addition to total number of hours usage. For example, last night the app said I had 10 mask off/on, and 5:30 usage when in fact I used it for 6:20 and never took the mask off all night. I also did not turn my machine on or off during the night either. I don’t understand why this is happening, because the mask fits well and has minimal leaks. In fact, the mask is so comfortable I barely know it’s there. This all started with the new mask and headgear.  Can anyone shed light on why this is happening?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask on/off numbers make no sense
check to see if you have the auto on/'off selected (when you take the mask off it stops and put the mask on it starts.  Many people have had trouble with this feature.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I don’t even have a setting for auto mask on/off. I’m very tech savvy so this is odd that I’m having an issue. As I stated in my post. I did not take my mask off once it was on until I got up for the day. This has only happened since I got the new style mask which actually fits me better. Wondering if perhaps my CPAP is malfunctioning. I have searched all over the net and I cannot find anyone with the same issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2023, 05:11 PM)bzmie3 Wrote: ... auto mask on/off ...

You should have settings in your machine for "Auto Start" and "Auto Stop". If those are On they sometimes have undesirable results for some users. Try turning both settings to Off and see if it makes a difference.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Look at your data and see if you see breaks.

When you look in the DATALOG folder, there is one folder for each day's date. Inside the folder there are four files for each sleep session.

It's pretty clear how many times it's stopping and starting.

If I use a nasal mask then when my mouth opens I can get so little air flowing through my nose that the machine turns itself off -- even with StupidStop turned off!

You've got to have the data to know what happened while you were asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
The myAir app is consistently inaccurate for me. Usually at least an hour less than what the machine says I used it.

Make sure you have your machine set to nasal mask but I suspect that isn't going to make a difference. 

Switch to OSCAR for your data and ignore the myAir app. OSCAR gives more data and is accurate.
*Brazen
Reluctant cpap user just trying to offer support to others going through the same torture. 
Because, it's the only current solution and breathing is kinda important.

OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching OSCAR Charts to Post
Mask Primer
Post Reply Post Reply
My menu does not have those settings. In fact, there are very few user settings, but I think I found my problem. 

I rarely get up once I have the mask on. At most once or twice, so seeing crazy numbers like 10 mask on/off was weird. From reading about how the mask on/ off works, i saw that statistic is generally triggered when the machine is turned off and on. Given that I slept through the night and did not touch my machine at all, I concluded that the machine itself must somehow be turning off and on during the night, particularly because the total hours used were about an hour less than I actually had used the CPAP.  I checked my power cord. I also track my sleep using the AutoSleep app on my Apple watch so I can track my O2 saturation, which has generally been good since I started CPAP therapy. I had some recorded lows those same nights which makes sense if my CPAP was turning off intermittently. I decided to check the power cord. The plug was fully plugged into the outlet, however, it was not completely seated into the connector into the power brick. I pushed that fully in and the last two nights since then, my data totally makes sense. Why this happened in conjunction with my new style headgear/mask? All I can think of is that I now route the air hose a bit differently since it attaches at the front of my mask instead of the top of my head. Hose comes around the back of the end table up the side of my bed. Previously it was routed around the back of my bed over the top of the headboard. It may have gotten twisted around the power cord and pulled it out just enough to create an intermittent electrical connection.

Lesson learned, much like any device not functioning properly, always check the power cord!
Post Reply Post Reply
The feature you are looking for is called SmartStart and SmartStop.

I would turn off SmartStop, bur leave on SmartStart.

If you don't see the SmartStart settingd in your "My Options" you will need to go into Clinician Mode. While in Clinician mode you can turn the Patient View menu to Advanced to expose more options,
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have a Resmed 11 Airsense, you have access to the recommended user sittings, your DME may have set your patient view at "Simple" vs "Advanced" so you can't see those settings.
Personally, I don't feel a DME should have control of any thing, much less my sleep breathing treatment. 

Consider learning your machine, listening to the experts here, and empowering yourself to improve your treatment.

https://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-airsen...setup-info

SmartStop is a terrible Resmed feature, it's often glitchy. Essentially, when the machine doesn't sense breathing it turns itself off.  Shouldn't that be a time a machine designed to help you breath stays on?!
*Brazen
Reluctant cpap user just trying to offer support to others going through the same torture. 
Because, it's the only current solution and breathing is kinda important.

OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching OSCAR Charts to Post
Mask Primer
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Therapy is helping, but only a little - good AHI numbers, bad sleep tiredsleeper 4 191 04-16-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tiredsleeper
  AHI Numbers looking great but feeling like crap Jpm6179 12 378 04-16-2024, 06:12 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  Do I need to tweak my numbers dharris01 6 207 04-15-2024, 03:12 PM
Last Post: dharris01
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,071 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 193 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  Not sure what to make of my OSCAR data Machinist 3 265 03-10-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: Machinist
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,509 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.