Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask or Mouth Leak?
Grin 
RE: Mask or Mouth Leak?
Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-31-2021, 05:27 AM)Phil7 Wrote:  I actually had a sleep clinic tech tell me that I should absolutely never mouth tape because of the bad risk that you could asphyxiate at night if you vomit in your sleep (I kid you not).  I could actually visualize the moronic corporate training, for insurance coverage purposes,  behind that.   Personally, I'm over 50 and once probably came close to dying, or a hospital stay, in college when I chugged 20 shots of tequila in 5 seconds.   Yet, I've never once thrown up in my sleep.  I've actually never heard of anyone vomiting while asleep

Never say never ... although having it happen is probably very very rare. But I have a young friend it happened to. It filled his lungs and deprived him of sufficient oxygen until he was found in the morning. He incurred severe brain trauma due to the lack of oxygen to the brain, was in a coma for weeks and not expected to live. He pulled through the coma and even after month's of therapy is still severely handicapped now both mentally and physically.
Post Reply Post Reply
" I've actually never heard of anyone vomiting while asleep.."

Jimi Hendrix. And he died from it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 32 8 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 372 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 240 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 316 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 142 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.