Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask or Mouth Leak?
RE: Mask or Mouth Leak?
Thanks Phil

Yes, taping is next on my list for reducing leaks and I have ordered some cover roll and it is "only" 2 to 3 weeks away!  I kid you not, I am in Australia and it it takes that amount of time to get here - I cannot find it in any of the local shops.  I have bought some other tape to experiment with in the meantime, but I have my money on the cover roll.  So I'm glad that the collar did make some difference.

I know what you mean about leaks even with taping.  I tried with the tape I had on hand for a couple of nights (horrible stuff, wouldn't come off) but did it wrong the first night, not covering my mouth completely.  I woke with air pop-pop-popping out of one side of my mouth.  So I rolled over only to have it do the same out of the other side.  Next night I covered my whole mouth but followed the videos that say to cut a slit in the middle.  That night I woke with air pop-pop-popping out of the center of my lips.  I have never been able to vibrate my lips to play anything like the trumpet, but now I think I know how to learn. Which all just goes to say that I think you are right about the method that you follow.

I like your suggestion to crimp all four corners.  I just did one on my top lip and found it difficult to get to under my mask. 

As for the O2ring, which I have recently got, the alarm is off because I would prefer to sleep through the night.  I would have been woken at least 3 times on each of the last four nights with an alarm set at 88.  But now you have me thinking about which is preferable - sleep though the desaturation or have the ring wake me up.  I don't know the answer to that.
Post Reply Post Reply
You try a chin strap (available from your equipment provider). The best solution is a full face mask.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Sleepster. I resisted going to a FFM for 3 miserable weeks and finally gave up and tried a hybrid mass, the F30i that sits under the nose and covers the mouth. I had experimented with every suggestion on here and more. It took me a few days to figure out how tight to keep the straps, but I figured it out and marked them with a permanent marker. No leaks now, no face pain. The mask sort of "floats" on my face which is what the gurus on here said it should do when you get it right. And I am relieved to not have to go through all of the work arounds to get rid of leaks.

I know I am not adding much valuable content on this thread, but I wanted to encourage you to at least try a FFM. Whatever you do, don't give up and listen to these folks. They know what they are doing.
Post Reply Post Reply

So I taped last night, and here's the results. Go figure. I use that Stretch Roll tape with no slit in the center. When I woke up it was still firmly attached. So...why are the leaks so horrible? this is typical--well, worse--for when I tape. So I stopped using it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? All the flat tops suggest mouth leaks. I get leaks without tape on the same mask but nothing like this. It's a mystery. The thing is, I'm comfortable with taping and would love it to solve my leak issue with the P30i.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is this the 4" width? Are you clean shaven before putting on the tape? 

I notice that when I don't shave after a couple of days I do get similar leak shapes.

Another possibility is that the jaw relaxes so much that the tape loosens at the lips, which is why the 4" width helps, as one can include the chin/jaw line.
Nevertheless, I've had similar nights.  I've never been able to get a flat zero leak line with all types of masks and taping, but it is the best solution.

I am prone to talking in my sleep though...so maybe that can be a factor?
Post Reply Post Reply
NIghtgagger, I have a goatee. I do press my lips closed when I apply the Leukoplast cover roll 2 inch wide tape. Maybe the four inch wide would work. Yeah, I don't need zero leaks, atho I've gone through periods of near zero for some time before--but not with this combination. Maybe my goatee is the root of all this evil.
As for talking in my sleep--well, I'm a bachelor. Who knows?

I forgot to mention that I didn't use a collar last night, which probably explains a lot.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the feedback.  Not sure that the chin strap is the solution for me unless I get one of those that covers my mouth too.  I already know that I get leaks through my lips when I ma keeping my jaws closed.  I have felt this happen early in the morning when I am waking but still half asleep.

A full face mask is still a possibility.  It was my starting point but several sources have said that it is not necessarily the first or best option.  One advantage of this exploration is that I would naturally have gone for something like the F&P mask but I am now thinking that the F30 might do the job.  I need to look into sizing beciuase, although I could test one through my equipment supplier, I can buy them for about half the price online.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-31-2021, 09:24 AM)Superstar Wrote: It took me a few days to figure out how tight to keep the straps, but I figured it out and marked them with a permanent marker.

As the straps stretch with normal use you will probably have to tighten them some more. You'll know by looking at your leak rate graph or you may notice the leaking.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
@hegel - Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately for some of the haters of goatees around me, I shaved mine off. That helped in my case.
Post Reply Post Reply
I jsut recently grew mine back after a 6 year hiatus of clean shaven-ness. I got my hipster back, and I hate to let it go. Also the goatee hides some wrinkles.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 9 1 hour ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 359 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 234 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 311 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 140 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.