Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask or Tape
Mask or Tape
I regularly wake up in the middle of the night to adjust mask which is leaking due to it slipping over my bottom lip. I think this is excasperated by me oving onto my back and for some reason switiching to mouth breathing. I dont like the thought of using a chin strap as well as my FFM. Anyone got a good experience of using tape to stop mouth breathing?

Also a question about sleep. Are Apneas more likely during light or REM sleep?

Johnboy
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask or Tape
I have tried both chin strap and tape, I way prefer the tape, the trick for me was finding one that was comfortable to use and came off easily.

I now use tape called Dynamic Tape, it is very soft and pliable, keeps my lips closed very comfortable and is easy to remove.
I use a 2" wide piece which is basically a square, it leaves the corners of my mouth free of tape.
Before applying I put a layer of lip balm on the lips to stop the tape sticking to the lips, and makes removal real easy...

Others with more tech knowledge will be along to answer re Rem sleep... :-)

all the best with your CPAP journey,
Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
Johnboy,
Have you looked at your mask sizing?  I sometimes use a F&P Simplus and find that I'm right in the threshold of the medium and large size masks. I finally went to the larger size and all is now well.

As far as the apneas during sleep stages; I would guess that they would be more prominent during the deeper sleep stages due to the body being more relaxed.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You could try a soft cervical collar.  I recently started using one and can now use a nasal mask.  A chin strap did not work for me.  I also sleep better and have a lower AHI.  I am sure it won't work for everyone, but it might for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a "lip leaker" - my body will do anything it can to leak my 16-17 cm/h2o pressure from my lips. With a FFM, I am OK with a good chinstrap. I just haven't found a FFM that works with my face and treatment pressures. So far the only thing that works for me is both a chin strap AND 2" of 3M micro pore tape, used with my P-10 mask. I have found that I need to wash my face and let dry before applying the tape, and press it in, or my bod will leak air thru the tape. I use a power-off alarm at home to alert me if power goes off, and on the road, I use a P-10 mask to which I have done a Rube Goldberg addition of an anti-asphyxiation valve. It took me a while to figure all this out. I am hopeful my current experiments with F-20 mask give me an alternative to the tape :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2017, 12:41 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Johnboy,
Have you looked at your mask sizing?  I sometimes use a F&P Simplus and find that I'm right in the threshold of the medium and large size masks. I finally went to the larger size and all is now well.

As far as the apneas during sleep stages; I would guess that they would be more prominent during the deeper sleep stages due to the body being more relaxed.

I also assumed that apneas would occur during deeper sleep but i am recording more events during the time i imagine i am waking i.e. 5:30 on. Go figure. I perhaps should try the larger
A mara View but the template suggests medium is right
Post Reply Post Reply
When we are awake or waking up our breathing will go from a rhythmic pattern to an erratic pattern. This can lead to false positives, sometimes called sleep garbage.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
With nasal and nasal pillows masks, you must keep your mouth closed and only breathe through your nose, a bit of mouth breathing is not the end of the world. My setup is a chinstrap (Ruby adjustable) and nasal mask 
There is no such restriction with full face mask, you can breathe from your nose or mouth without compromising your therapy
A good seal is essentials for effective therapy

As for apnea during sleep stages, maybe there're more of them during REM sleep or/and sleeping on your back but with optimal pressure settings, we shouldn't get many scored, 1 or 2 might slip-by
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2017, 04:23 AM)zonk Wrote: With nasal and nasal pillows masks, you must keep your mouth closed and only breathe through your nose, a bit of mouth breathing is not the end of the world. My setup is a chinstrap (Ruby adjustable) and nasal mask 
There is no such restriction with full face mask, you can breathe from your nose or mouth without compromising your therapy
A good seal is essentials for effective therapy

As for apnea during sleep stages, maybe there're more of them during REM sleep or/and sleeping on your back but with optimal pressure settings, we shouldn't get many scored, 1 or 2 might slip-by
Hear what you say zonk but this is not neccesarily true for the Amara View. Whilst this is classed as a full face mask that fact is that it is much smaller than normal FFM. My problem is that it slips over my bottem lip thereby creating both a leak and compromise of the therapy. I tried the tape last night and it was totally useless - didnt last 5 mins! Had an AHI of 3.7 but dont know whether i can rely upon this as i must have had to reposition mask 6-8 times - so both disrupted sleep and leaks. Had two periods with loads of events.

Also anyone know why the dreamstation reports 100% mask fit but sleepyhead tells me i had major leaks. Also what are the two leak lines on the sleepyhead graph and which one is important?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2017, 03:18 PM)BKeeper Wrote: I am a "lip leaker" - my body will do anything it can to leak my 16-17 cm/h2o pressure from my lips.  With a FFM, I am OK with a good chinstrap.  I just haven't found a FFM that works with my face and treatment pressures. So far the only thing that works for me is both a chin strap AND 2" of 3M micro pore tape, used with my P-10 mask. I have found that I need to wash my face and let dry before applying the tape, and press it in, or my bod will leak air thru the tape.  I use a power-off alarm at home to alert me if power goes off, and on the road, I use a P-10 mask to which I have done a Rube Goldberg addition of an anti-asphyxiation valve. It took me a while to figure all this out.  I am hopeful my current experiments with F-20 mask give me an alternative to the tape :-)

Hi BKeeper, are you able to share pictures of your anti-asphyxiation valve setup?
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 316 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,165 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  mouth tape cberistain 15 674 02-21-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Mouth Tape Trick for Wimps (like me) Deborah K. 29 2,585 02-05-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: punkrockcholo
  For chronic mouth leakers using tape and getting mixed results, or even poor results. Expat31 1 400 12-14-2023, 12:33 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Mouth puffing up with tape shamrock72 12 2,190 11-02-2023, 01:29 PM
Last Post: antond
  PAP MD Mouth Tape Columbiabill 6 8,025 10-28-2023, 08:55 PM
Last Post: antiquefrek

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.