Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask question
Mask question
First of all Thank you for allowing me to be part of this forum. I have used a CPAP for a decade without feeling any less sleepy! I should say that I struggle with Fibromyalgia & Occipital Neuralgia as well.

I have been using pillows for quite a while and really enjoy being less "closed in" However, My new sleep doc determined I would do better w/ a full face mask. I am willing to try so just received the new mask. Tried it last night but ran into some problems. I use a Bipap system w/ ASV. When I got fitted for the new mask I had settings changed (up) Anyway, when I tried the mask the pressure was more than I could bear. However, when I switched to the Swift the pressure "seemed" much less.

My question is .... Why is that?

I appreciate any ideas.

Bob
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask question
Curious what your doctor saw that would suggest a change in mask systems. In the absence of leaks or evidence of mouth breathing, I don't get it. ASV is capable of pressures and flows those of us with CPAP systems don't experience, so I could be missing something. Interesting question.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know how it works on PR machines -- but on ResMed machines, the mask type must be set in the menu.
Perhaps this is causing your discomfort.

It's not that an ASV is capable of higher flows and pressure. They are used to force ventilate people for whom central apnea is a problem.
Since the airway is open during a central, the machine can inflate the lungs at a timed rate; simulating breathing.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi bobrguitar,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies. I am going to chk where the setting is for mask on the cpap machine. As to what the doctor saw... I am not sure . Although I have been using CPAP for 10 yrs I have not been that active a patient. Just did what I was told.
Post Reply Post Reply
See if your machine's setup manual is available via email. Look for the link at the top that says, "CPAP Setup Manuals."

IIRC: The PR machines do not have a setting by mask type. They have some mask vent rate setting that is a little more abstruse than ResMed saying: Full Face, Nasal, et cetera.

We really need a person familiar with PR machines to get involved in this thread.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
My understanding is if you are not using a PR mask, to leave the setting at the default of zero. The PR machine does not have settings for mask type, but rather each PR mask has a numerical number to input into the machine settings.

Hopefully one of the expert ASV guys will be along shortly.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
I just wanted to thank you all for your responses. Turns out you were right - It WAS the Resistance settings (why exactly do I pay my Home Medical Equipment company?) . Anyway... Thanks very much!
Post Reply Post Reply
And then it could be the Asv kicking the pressure up to compensate for apnea
Post Reply Post Reply
For a standard ffm you can run either 0 resistance setting or you can run X1. X1 can also be ran with most nasal masks. Pillows are where you really get much difference in resistance settings.

They arent based on the vent rate. They are based on the inlet resistance to the mask. Pillows offer more so the machine has to push a higher pressure to get the prescribed pressure into the patient. If a mask has a standard inlet that a regular pap hose hooks onto either 15 mm or 22 mm x1 is fine. As long as the machine knows which size tubing you are using. Or 0. Personally I get a little better numbers running X1 than 0 with the F&P Simplus or Eson
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 142 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 483 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
  Philips DreamWear FFM mask size question cps22 0 332 11-09-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: cps22
  [Equipment] SD card question and mask leak issue when side sleeping KingsIndian 1 431 10-13-2023, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question QUICK QUESTION [mask leak issues] johduv 6 589 09-27-2023, 04:41 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Newbie Question about mask and hose compatability stalemate365 0 378 05-31-2023, 09:27 AM
Last Post: stalemate365
Question Dreamwear Full Face Mask Question. egmonster 2 580 04-07-2023, 10:00 AM
Last Post: egmonster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.