Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask recommendations
Mask recommendations
I've been on CPAP for about two months and have tried several different masks, with varying problems. Can you give me some suggestions on a next mask to try? I have a short beard, I sleep on my side, and I'm the most active sleeper ever (toss and turn a lot). I don't have reason to believe I'm a mouth breather and I have no issues with claustrophobia or aesthetics. 

Here are the masks I've used:

F&P Vitera (full face) This was the only one I fell asleep with in the titration study. I got a small and it works somewhat but it makes the bridge of my nose and cheeks red. Occasionally it shoots air in my eyes and wakes me in the night. It only extends to just below my lower lip---not the size F&P would say I should use. I got a medium, which feels more comfortable, but it pushes my jaw open and leaks like crazy at the bottom. Leaks around the nose were also worse. I really can't make the medium work. I have tried using remzzzs to reduce irritation or improve seal with both sizes, but they got off-center and tangled up in the night as well as introducing small leaks all around. I've only tried them a few times but the results were not promising. 

Resmed AirTouch F20 (full face) This mask seals very well around my nose and is comfortable on the nose and cheeks. It doesn't leak or turn me red. However, my beard hairs seems to stick into the foam and get pulled in the night. I experience a lot of pain in the beard area...it almost feels like it's driving my beard hairs into my face or something. I tried introducing a remzzzs between me and the mask, but then it leaked like crazy.

Respironics Pico (nose) This mask seems to work better for side sleeping because of its size, but it's extremely loud. It sounds like darth vader as I breathe. Moreover, there is a strong sensation of air rushing around my nose that makes me crazy. I have tried it on several occasions but have not yet been able to fall asleep with it.

In the sleep study I also tried one of those masks that butt up against the bottom of your nose. I had a strong dislike to the sensation of having my nose pushed up.

I have never tried a nasal pillow-style mask, nor one of those cloth masks. I'm kicking around the idea of trying those. Based on the above, can you suggest a style or model of mask that might be a likely candidate for me?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask recommendations
2 to try
P10 Pillow mask, very small and unobtrusive and quiet. so quiet, my wife has been known to shake me and wake me up to ask if I was breathing. You will need a hose clip to attach to either your PJs or pillow. This is my goto now.

Based on how active you are, the Mirage Activia. It has a bellows that allows for a lot of movement. This was my goto mask for a lot of years.

Note: I don't exactly have a small beard ;-)
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, bonjour! I'll take a close look at both.

For the activa, do you still get a strong sensation of wind rushing around your nose and loud breathing noises? It seems like that is the downside of nasal masks in general based on my (limited) experience.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not inside the mask, but low leaks and that was the noise my wife doesn't hear any more
Post Reply Post Reply
I really like the Bleep DreamPort. I know it works with a mustache because Stuart, the inventor/developer, has a mustache. He told me he trims just enough under his nose to attach the ports. No pressure on your nose because there are no straps. No air leaking into your eyes. I am an active stomach/side sleeper and the Bleep works great for me. And if you have any problems, you can contact Stuart and he will help you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your suggestions, guys. I bought the activa and I'm looking into the bleep and P10.

FYI last night I trimmed my beard to a shorter length and I didn't have beard discomfort with the F20. I could probably do that more often and make the F20 work. I just bought an F20 size small, so that's another possibility. For me, it's worth trying lots of masks. Anything that makes any difference in my sleep quality or quantity is worth the trouble and money.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bojour, thank you for this Mirage Activa recommendation. I picked one up cheap and I'm very impressed with its performance. No leak whatsoever, even when I move around. This is literally the first mask I have used that has never woken me up by shooting me in the eye with a blast of air. And even though it's a nasal mask, there is no rushing sound or sensation because the bellows area is quite large. You don't have to get the fit and tightness perfectly, exactly right because it basically comes to you. To date this is the best mask I have tried and I never would have tried it without your recommendation.

BTW what I bought seems to have been the original Activa, but there's a newer version, the LT, right? Is it correct that I can just buy the LT frame assembly and move the headgear and cushion to the LT if I want to try that? My main problem is that the forehead piece seems too high on my head. So I'm thinking the LT frame may be a little lower, and people like the exhaust port better. Since this is probably going to be my standard mask, I want it fully optimized.

I guess the other downside is that the frame is large/bulky in front of my face. I'm thinking of rigging a suspension system or something.

I also kind of want to try the Quattro based on this experience. It's kind of the same thing, but in a full-face, right?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have no experience with either the LT or the Quattro. With nasal mask I rarely rest the headrest on my forehead, I just position themask by hand and and set the straps to hold it there.

BTW use the touch you get from the Activia for what you should feel on any other mask. I'd bet it'ds lighter than what you have typically done.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is another contender. 

I really like the Philips Respironics Dreamwear Nasal Pillow mask. There are two models, one has little plugs that go in your nostrils (yuk), the other is just a pillow under your nose. Super happy with it.

Cheers,
Damian.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,223 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 526 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Recommendations to optimize settings roost 8 626 03-06-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: roost
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 319 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  Replace mask: recommendations too often? BlueSky1958 1 246 01-28-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Recommendations for national suppliers? HenryBowman 2 391 01-04-2024, 09:51 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.