Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask resistance with an HME installed
Mask resistance with an HME installed
Hi all.  My Dreamstation Go has a setting for mask type, where its supposed to be for mask "resistance" or something.  Not very clear what it is.  Well, I was wondering if I should be messing around with this setting when using an HME inline with my ff mask.  Reason for that is when I install the HME, I notice that its harder to breath in... I mean, I can feel the pressure start dropping in the mask, as though the air isn't flowing through the HME fast enough.  Should I increase the setting , ie, x4-x5 or something?  Cos both my dreamwear ffm and nasal say to set at x1, and x0 if I use a non phillips mask, so I have no idea what the higher settings are for.

Are there masks out there that are really restrictive?

Is that really what that mask type setting is for?

Sorry, so many questions...

Derek
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask resistance with an HME installed
(07-12-2019, 03:16 AM)legrunt Wrote: Hi all.  My Dreamstation Go has a setting for mask type, where its supposed to be for mask "resistance" or something.  Not very clear what it is.  Well, I was wondering if I should be messing around with this setting when using an HME inline with my ff mask.  Reason for that is when I install the HME, I notice that its harder to breath in... I mean, I can feel the pressure start dropping in the mask, as though the air isn't flowing through the HME fast enough.  Should I increase the setting , ie, x4-x5 or something?  Cos both my dreamwear ffm and nasal say to set at x1, and x0 if I use a non phillips mask, so I have no idea what the higher settings are for.

Are there masks out there that are really restrictive?

Is that really what that mask type setting is for?

Sorry, so many questions...

Derek

I'm not sure why this post from several months ago popped up in my feed, but I have experimented with this so what the heck. First of all, the X0 for non-Philips masks is utter BS. It is absurd unless you put the end of the hose directly in your mouth, and clearly came from their lawyers instead of their engineers. I would never use less than X1. Some pillow masks might need X2.

For the Dreamstation Go with an F20 mask, I use X1. With the F20 + the Z1/Breas HME, I found X3 to be about right. If that feels like too much, try X2.

Basically, if the mask sucks in when you inhale and pushes out when you exhale, or it feels like you are breathing through a straw, the resistance setting is too low. If you feel a big whoosh when you inhale, like drinking from a firehose, the setting is too high.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask resistance with an HME installed
Thanks for responding! Good info.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Not been sleeping well, just installed SD card and oscar, please help SleepyGrumpy 2 228 02-04-2024, 07:36 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  [Equipment] Resmed Airfit F30i resistance settings MBARON 0 608 05-29-2023, 04:31 PM
Last Post: MBARON
  Heated Hose Resistance - Philips & Resmed StratCat48 0 539 04-25-2023, 07:29 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,526 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,214 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,757 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Resistance Control setting for Resmed AirFit F20 aolamid 5 2,858 02-10-2022, 04:45 PM
Last Post: hegel

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.