Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery?
Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery?
I will be having nasal surgery soon to correct a deviated nasal septum and turbinate reduction. I have had a hard time finding information online as to which mask(s) to use right after the surgery while my nose is healing. An online supplier I called said that the following were the best masks to use. What do you think? Thoughts or possible other masks you would recommend?

- AirFit F30i Full Face Mask
- DreamWear Nasal Mask
- DreamWear Full Face Mask
- Amara View Full Face Mask

Thanks for all of your help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery?
I had those surgeries done in 2018 but it was prior to using PAP machines.

After the surgery, if you have plastic stents in your nostrils, you won't be able to use any PAP machines for the first night or so.
The stents are psychologically spooky and I didn't dare sleep in case I impaled my brain with them. I was extremely happy to pull them out the next day.

How bad is your apnea? One possibility might be to suspend PAP usage until your nose is healed.

If you think that you will need to continue PAP therapy during the healing process then an obvious choice would be to become a mouth-breather and use a full-face mask.
I can't imagine that a nasal mask would work at all well while the internal bruising and scarring are still present.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would think that any of the full mask models will be suitable. I am surprised that a nasal mask was recommended. If the nose is packed with gauze/absorbent material as I have seen done with that type of surgery in the past, a nasal mask would not work at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would not use the pillow masks or hybrid masks such as the Amara View because they contact the nose. That said you might not have an issue with the bottom of the nose or differential pressure (nasal pressure elevated) post surgery. Full face masks would provide pressure that would be even in both oral and nasal passages and as such less stress on the surgical site. This is a question to be answered by the surgeon. Be prepared to stay overnight. These procedures are on your airway and if any complications occur, and I'm not saying they are likely, an overnight stay may happen and if so you could want your CPAP for that.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just had extensive nasal surgery.  Packing inside the nose, from what I understand, is not routinely used anymore.  I did have an external splint on my nose for a number of days and it was impossible to get a full face mask to seal.  There was no way to use a nasal mask, WAY too sore for something pushing against my nose.  I had to go without my mask for about a week because there was really no other option.  I would talk with your surgeon about your concerns, bring in your mask and ask exactly where the splinting will be and how you will use a mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2020, 11:46 AM)ApneaQuestions Wrote: I had those surgeries done in 2018 but it was prior to using PAP machines.

After the surgery, if you have plastic stents in your nostrils, you won't be able to use any PAP machines for the first night or so.
The stents are psychologically spooky and I didn't dare sleep in case I impaled my brain with them. I was extremely happy to pull them out the next day.

How bad is your apnea?  One possibility might be to suspend PAP usage until your nose is healed.

If you think that you will need to continue PAP therapy during the healing process then an obvious choice would be to become a mouth-breather and use a full-face mask.
I can't imagine that a nasal mask would work at all well while the internal bruising and scarring are still present.
My ENT doctor said that he will not pack my nose with anything (no plastic stents and no gauze). My apnea is AHI = 10.5/hr. At my consultation appointment with my doctor, I asked him when I would be able to use my CPAP machine and he didn't have any answer for that. I've read that people are cleared to use their machine any where from 1-4 weeks after their surgery.
I'll try to use a full-face mask like you are recommending!
Thanks for your message!
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven’t used CPAP since 2017, but just had a septoplasty in January 2020. They put internal splints up there for the first week generally. First 24-48 hours you’ll still be actively bleeding and likely need to keep the gauze mustache on: not conducive to using any PAP. After that, I imagine you could use any mask that didn’t put direct frontal pressure on your nose within pain tolerance, but I couldn’t even manage to scrub my nose off in the shower that first week just as a point of reference.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I forgot about the gauze mustache. It's interesting how the brain tries to forget these things.

If your untitrated AHI is "only" 10 then you might simply choose to skip CPAP altogether for a week or two.
After all, if you are like me, you probably have endured that level of AHI for years or possibly even decades before finally looking into CPAP treatment.

Good luck with the surgery and I hope it helps to improve your breathing and congestion.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all for your messages and help. I'm sure that I have been living decades with Sleep Apnea, and so, if I wait 1-2 weeks after surgery to start using my machine then that is not much different than what I have always lived with. 
        I will have to sit up to sleep for the first 2-3 nights. I have a recliner I can use and I just purchased a wedge pillow to elevate myself after that for a few days.
        I read online that someone in my condition, could lower the pressure for a few days when they first start back on their machine.
        I have actually thought about using the ResMed AirTouch F20 Full-Face Mask as the first mask I would use after surgery. It seems like quite a few people like that mask.
        I've also read that the surgery I'll have done doesn't mean that I won't need CPAP but usually will be able to use less pressure, which makes CPAP easier to use.
        My surgery is March 26th.
        I have to tell you all that you are all wonderful people for helping those of us who are new to this. Much appreciated!
Post Reply Post Reply
Your post hits home with me. Today I had an appointment with an ENT and he told me I needed the exact same surgery. I normally use the F30 and have used the F20 in the past and I would go with the F20. The F30 puts way too much pressure on the nose in my experience. But I run my pressure up to 17 but still even at lower pressure I would not risk it. That is if you are able to tolerate any mask at all that first week. My doctor didn't mention any complications with my cpap therapy with the surgery but today was just the first appointment. I probably won't have the surgery until June.

I was wondering if you have bad flow limitations on your oscar charts? I have really bad ones and that is why I went to the ENT. I figured my throat was the problem but he told me my nasal issues and a big tongue were likely the culprit. Regardless I wish you all the best and hope you have a speedy recovery. And please post here and lets us know how your surgery went. I'm interested in what to expect with it all. Good Luck!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 249 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Using DreamWisp Nasal Mask With ResMed AirSense 11 Avign0n323 2 338 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 30 1,951 01-27-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 482 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.