Mask Make & Model: airfit f10
Humidifier: resmed airsense 10
CPAP Pressure: 11.0
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Mask seal improved but events per hour increased dramatically
Hi,

I acquired a new Resmed Airsense 10 autoset about 3 months ago after using an Elite S8 for about 7 years. I am using a full mask Resmed AirfitF10 and I am very comfortable with the machine and the mask. I am currently set at 11.0 constant pressure and I use the humidified air option.

About 2 months ago I started having nightly problems with the mask seal but my events were low and averaging 1 to 2 events per hour. Last week, I saw my sleep doctor and learned how to properly seal the mask. I am now achieving 100% maskseal numbers throughout the night but my events per hour have shot up to 15 or so per hour. I am definitely not feeling as well as after a night's sleep. I have changed the setting on the machine from continuous pressure to autoset. I will see how that goes tonight. My logic for this approach is that I was getting functionality more like autoset when I had a very poor mask seal and constant pressure because of the leakage.

Does my approach seem reasonable? Is there anything else I should consider? I am scheduled for a sleep test in late July. Also, I get my numbers through my account at myair.resmed.com

Thanks in advance for any insights you can offer,
John
05-28-2015 01:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
quiescence at last Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: REMstar System One with Autoflex
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Quattro AirFit F10
Humidifier: yes typical setting = 4
CPAP Pressure: 5-13 Autotritrating CPAP
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: CMS-50F Plus oximeter /w SPO2 Assistant software. Avowed mouth-breather switching to nose-breathing

RE: Mask seal improved but events per hour increased dramatically
large leaks do interfere with the machine's ability to characterize the flow, and is responsible for not counting apneas that are occurring.

I would have expected you not to have much change in how well you feel, if the same issues were happening with or without leaks. That leave the potential that, since you have good seal, you are getting solid pressure and with that some pressure induced apneas.

Please attempt to find out what type of apneas you have, and whether there are significant numbers of hypopneas.

Past posters that were getting worse feeling once treated were suffering from high hypopneas and clear airway events. That would suggest a different solution than if you were still getting obstructive apneas. One might lower the pressure in the first case, but raise in the second.

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
You'll note I am listed as an Advisory Member. I am honored to be listed as such. See the fine print - Advisory Members as a group provide advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies. Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
05-28-2015 02:00 PM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(05-28-2015 01:17 PM)johnwrightmichigan Wrote:  I have changed the setting on the machine from continuous pressure to autoset.
John

Howdy John and welcome

I assume you mean changed the settings from CPAP to AutoSet, did you set the "AutoSet" minimum and maximum pressures or left them in default setting 4 - 20

One thing to note, the machine is dumb and can flag events while you're asleep or awake, awake events are pretty meaningless
During large leak, the machine cannot tell accurately whether apnea is closed or open apnea
so the detected apnea scored as "unknown" apnea, colored yellow on ResScan

For better understanding of whats going on, you better off downloading the free software for more detailed data, my Air only report limited data and not much more than what you get from your machine "sleep report" providing "Essentials" set to "Plus" from the clinical menu

Here is the download links to ResScan and SleepyHead software, both supports AirSense 10
ResScan windows only and SleepyHead windows and Mac
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Private-Files-and-Links
05-28-2015 07:07 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi johnwrightmichigan,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your question and much success to you with your CPAp Therapy.

trish6hundred
05-28-2015 07:47 PM
johnwrightmichigan Offline

New Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 autoset
Mask Make & Model: airfit f10
Humidifier: resmed airsense 10
CPAP Pressure: 11.0
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

Hi,

I have now slept two nights with my Airsense 10 using the Autoset (min 4.0, max 20.0) setting vs. my prior setting of constant pressure at 11.0. As I mentioned in my original post, I had slept with a significant full mask leak for 6 weeks or so. I corrected the leak and my events per hr (per myair.resmed.com) shot up to 15 from 2 events per hour.

My two nights using the new Autoset have produced 4.4 and 3.4 events per hour. A great improvement and I definitely feel more rested. Next, I will download software to help me dig further on my sleep data. I'll report back with results and I'm sure I'll be reaching out with more questions.

Thanks so much,
John
05-30-2015 10:40 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

Sex: Female

When you have the software downloaded, check the pressure graphs to see where your pressure is for 90% of the time. I would assume you would be more comfortable with a higher starting pressure. A starting setting of 4 is too low for most folk. Let us know what your numbers are.

OpalRose
05-30-2015 12:22 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Dr. Wants To Do A 24-Hour Test harmon k 6 156 Today 02:55 PM
Last Post: robysue
  Respironics 9 minute cycle with no events. pixpop 2 85 12-06-2016 09:17 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  2015 peer reviewed article on how xPAPs score events and auto algorithms respond robysue 1 130 12-03-2016 07:48 PM
Last Post: Perchas
  Events way too high! sfrasher 22 1,205 11-22-2016 06:35 PM
Last Post: sfrasher
  Increased AHI somnia16 2 221 10-11-2016 12:04 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mask Seal and L/Min chuck6161 7 402 10-09-2016 06:56 PM
Last Post: chuck6161
  Resmed MYAIR Events per hr results ressler76 6 1,552 10-01-2016 11:07 PM
Last Post: Sleepster